Israel-Palestine Conflict (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:59:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Palestine Conflict (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel-Palestine Conflict  (Read 2656 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:46 AM »

67 most certainly sowed the seeds of Israel's future demographic crisis. It's basically a truism accepted by most commentators in the West and I'm really hard pressed to see how it's wrong. Seems like the Israelis are just arguing it's not a problem because it hasn't descended into full scale ethnic cleansing.

Regardless, obviously the article is very much doom and gloom, assuming the worst will happen at every juncture. It's still pretty close to the mark though, just very pessimistic.

There's a chance the ultra-Orthodox birthrate will save the Jewish majority so Israel has that going for them. Then again, 40% of the population you govern not having rights isn't that much better than 51% not having rights. It would still be a huge moral and PR problem, just not as dramatic.

Also, I think it's unlikely Israeli will annex the West Bank without extending citizenship to people living there. Obviously some people want it to happen but it's just not politically realistic (from the global point of view) in the modern age.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:34:57 AM »

Okay, that I get.

I don't think it's necessarily talking about citizens' actual rights though. It's more talking about how it's changed citizens' outlook about the concept of democracy. I think it's a valid point.

Then there's another debate about whether ethnocentric, anti-democratic ideals where always there, it's just that the West and some Israelis were able to more easily ignore them in the past.

This is all illustrated by the nation-state law, which I think the article is very reasonable about. It admits that it doesn't actually change people's rights in any concrete way. It's symbolic though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies