Kirk: People drive faster through Black Neighborhoods
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:24:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kirk: People drive faster through Black Neighborhoods
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kirk: People drive faster through Black Neighborhoods  (Read 2711 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 08:46:48 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/13/mark-kirk-black-neighborhoods_n_7056612.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

In a little-noticed interview last week, Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) described African-American neighborhoods as areas that people in his state try to avoid.

The comment, with its racial undertones, came during a sit-down interview with the Peoria Journal Star and followed a question about how to encourage business development in Kirk's home state.

“I want to make sure we have elected people constantly looking at helping the African-American community,” Kirk said. “With this state and all of its resources, we could sponsor a whole new class of potential innovators like George Washington Carver and eventually have a class of African-American billionaires. That would really adjust income differentials and make the diversity and outcome of the state much better so that the black community is not the one we drive faster through."

Let me make sure I understand this.  He's saying that by having more black billionaires, the average income of AAs will increase and therefore all problems will be solved?  I'm sorry, but if I'm making a mistake here, someone please correct here.
I just find what he's saying here ridiculous, if not dangerous.  That's similar to saying there is no racism towards blacks because the president is black.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »

'Every time I start talking about race, people get upset.  I don't know why, but I've had enough!'
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/13/mark-kirk-black-neighborhoods_n_7056612.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

In a little-noticed interview last week, Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) described African-American neighborhoods as areas that people in his state try to avoid.

The comment, with its racial undertones, came during a sit-down interview with the Peoria Journal Star and followed a question about how to encourage business development in Kirk's home state.

“I want to make sure we have elected people constantly looking at helping the African-American community,” Kirk said. “With this state and all of its resources, we could sponsor a whole new class of potential innovators like George Washington Carver and eventually have a class of African-American billionaires. That would really adjust income differentials and make the diversity and outcome of the state much better so that the black community is not the one we drive faster through."

Let me make sure I understand this.  He's saying that by having more black billionaires, the average income of AAs will increase and therefore all problems will be solved?  I'm sorry, but if I'm making a mistake here, someone please correct here.
I just find what he's saying here ridiculous, if not dangerous.  That's similar to saying there is no racism towards blacks because the president is black.

Oprah Winfrey is worth $3 billion, so all the black poverty problems have been solved.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »

I don't get it. He was saying "let's help black communities". In no way did he suggest that "driving faster through black neighbourhoods" was a desirable or appalling state of affairs.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies