Who should Hillary Clinton pick as her VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:57:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who should Hillary Clinton pick as her VP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who should Hillary Clinton pick as her VP?
Tammy Baldwin (WI)

Joe Biden (DE)

Cory Booker (NJ)

Julian Castro (TX)

Howard Dean (VT)

Rahm Emanuel (IL)

Al Franken (MN)

Heidi Heitkamp (ND)

Al Gore (TN)

John Hickenlooper (CO)

Amy Klobuchar (MN)

Jack Markell (DE)

Jay Nixon (MO)

Martin O'Malley (MD)

Deval Patrick (MA)

Brian Schweitzer (MT)

Mark Warner (VA)

Elizabeth Warren (MA)

Tim Kaine (VA)

Mark Dayton (MN)

Steve Bullock (MT)

Maggie Hassan (NH)

Peter Shumlin (VT)

Terry McAuliffe (VA)

Jeanne Shaheen (NH)

Joe Manchin (WV)

Sherrod Brown (OH)

Claire McCaskill (MO)

Joe Donnelly (IN)

Jon Tester (MT)

Maria Cantwell (WA)

Michael Bennet (CO)

Martin Heinrich (NM)

Bernie Sanders (VT)

Andrew Cuomo (NY)

Kristen Gillibrand (NY)

Other (please specify in thread)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Who should Hillary Clinton pick as her VP?  (Read 8446 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »

Ugh.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 10:02:02 PM »

Sherrod Brown. Screw it, Al Franken too.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 10:05:51 PM »

Write-in: Bill Nelson (Florida).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 10:28:40 PM »

Someone who can help win in Florida, Ohio, or Virginia -- Tim Kaine, Mark Warner, or maybe Sherrod Brown (does he have big statewide appeal?).

It will be very difficult for Republicans to win the White House without all 3 of those states.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »

Red or purple state male populist Democrat with working-class appeal so Webb, Schweitzer, or Sherrod Brown.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 11:09:53 PM »

Looks like Castro is a strong favorite.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 11:11:23 PM »

I'll say it again: Democrats need Brown's Senate seat.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 11:15:32 PM »

Castro is the most overrated person in the history of ever when it comes to these lists. He was mayor of a city and is now toiling away in some Cabinet position because there wasn't any other statewide office he would've gotten elected to. He is not going to be the VP.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 05:26:44 AM »

Castro is the most overrated person in the history of ever when it comes to these lists. He was mayor of a city and is now toiling away in some Cabinet position because there wasn't any other statewide office he would've gotten elected to. He is not going to be the VP.

I agree with this. Let's face it: he's only getting consideration (or at least talked about, especially on Atlas) because he's a young Hispanic male and could bring "balance" to the ticket with "the old white lady." I'd be afraid he'd turn into another Palin (young and relatively inexperienced), except I don't think he would steal the limelight from Hillary. There are plenty of other "young Hispanic males" to consider if that's what the media wants to see happen: Hector Balderas comes to my mind first. He's only a year older than Castro and unlike Castro, he has been elected statewide in New Mexico and is quite progressive: in the 2012 Democratic Senatorial primary in New Mexico, he went after Martin Heinrich for being wobbly on marriage equality until Heinrich came out and openly supported it. It seems that would appease the "base" that allegedly despises Hillary for being a "neoconservative," "warmongerer," "corporatist," "DINO," etc.

I'm sure Hillary will do just as well (if not better) with Hispanics/Latinos as Obama did. She won them by two-to-one margins in 2008 (yes I know 2008 is not 2016) and with the Republicans going farther right on immigration, I don't think the Hispanic vote will be up for grabs in 2016, regardless of if Marco Rubio somehow magically gets the nomination.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 05:48:19 AM »

What about Perez?, he's Labor Secretary or Anthony Foxx?  If Rubio gets the G.O.P. nod, unlikely but plausible,  then Hillary needs a Hispanic on the ticket as a counterpoint,  no choice really & a no brainer big time😎
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 05:50:29 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 05:54:04 AM by seanNJ9 »

I agree with this. Let's face it: he's only getting consideration (or at least talked about, especially on Atlas) because he's a young Hispanic male and could bring "balance" to the ticket with "the old white lady." I'd be afraid he'd turn into another Palin (young and relatively inexperienced), except I don't think he would steal the limelight from Hillary. There are plenty of other "young Hispanic males" to consider if that's what the media wants to see happen: Hector Balderas comes to my mind first. He's only a year older than Castro and unlike Castro, he has been elected statewide in New Mexico and is quite progressive: in the 2012 Democratic Senatorial primary in New Mexico, he went after Martin Heinrich for being wobbly on marriage equality until Heinrich came out and openly supported it. It seems that would appease the "base" that allegedly despises Hillary for being a "neoconservative," "warmongerer," "corporatist," "DINO," etc.

I'm sure Hillary will do just as well (if not better) with Hispanics/Latinos as Obama did. She won them by two-to-one margins in 2008 (yes I know 2008 is not 2016) and with the Republicans going farther right on immigration, I don't think the Hispanic vote will be up for grabs in 2016, regardless of if Marco Rubio somehow magically gets the nomination.

you think if Hillary was an old white man instead of an old white lady she would be the prohibitive frontrunner? No chance. And comparing Julian Castro and his background to that inbred Sarah Palin, get a clue.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 06:53:01 AM »

Probably either Martin Heinrich, Sherrod Brown, Mark Warner or Tim Kaine.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 08:00:41 AM »

One of the gentleman from Virginia IMO
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 08:07:52 AM »

What about Perez?, he's Labor Secretary or Anthony Foxx?  If Rubio gets the G.O.P. nod, unlikely but plausible,  then Hillary needs a Hispanic on the ticket as a counterpoint,  no choice really & a no brainer big time😎
Perez is plausible, as he combines appeal to Hispanic voters with liberal policies on labor. His electoral history isn't impressive, though.

Castro's easier to sell to the public as a big-city mayor/ cabinet official than a guy who was just elected Attorney General of a small state (and who had previously spent two terms as its auditor.)
Clermont County GOPer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »

Martha Coakley
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2015, 12:24:30 AM »

Hickenlooper is probably the best bet, since he'd help Hillary in Colorado and possibly have a coattail effect.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »

Hickenlooper is probably the best bet, since he'd help Hillary in Colorado and possibly have a coattail effect.
Hickenlooper is in his sixties and just got divorced. He seems like an unlikely match.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 11:56:28 AM »

Ed Rendell.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »

Out of those listed, Tim Kaine. Mark Warner would work as well, but I think his closer-than-expected Senate last November takes away much of the rationale for picking him (being able to lock down VA). Without that he doesn't bring anything that Kaine wouldn't.

If he weren't likely facing a competitive reelection contest, Mike Bennett would work. And the fact the their replacements would likely be picked by a Republican governor disqualifies Sherrod Brown and Martin Heinrich. We're going to have a heavy lift taking back the Senate anyway, so I don't think the space exists to throw away a seat.

He wasn't listed but I would write Jeff Merkley in as a contender. OR isn't a swing state, but I could see him helping to harness some of the populist energy on the left and I could see him helping in CO.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »

Martha Coakley is the only one who can become the next V.P. She is a woman, she breathes air, she probably has a big toe. There, Hillary's relating problem. Gone.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2015, 07:51:39 PM »

Martin Heinrich
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »

what does he bring to the ticket?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2015, 09:44:31 PM »

One of her lobbyist donors.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2015, 11:51:45 PM »

I'd definitely consider Martin Heinrich.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 07:11:34 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2015, 07:29:23 AM by Bull Moose Base »

A Republican senate (and no change in the presidential election)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies