Opinion of jocks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:59:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of jocks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of jocks
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Opinion of jocks  (Read 3004 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »

I'm personally about as nerd as you can get, and I distinctly remember being treated better by the jocks in school than by my "fellow" nerds.

In general, for both groups, most individuals are FF but those that base their identity around being "jocks" or "nerds" tend to be much worse (and, also, large homogeneous groups tend to bring out the worst in people).  I like Maxwell's angle best, though admittedly I voted HP for both polls instead.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »

I'm sensing a bit of jealously in this thread.

Voted FF in protest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »

The reason Mr. Hawk would say such a ridiculous thing is because he would never actually be able to talk to a cheerleader. Tbh just because you guys may have had poor experiences with so-called "jocks" just like mr. hawk apparently did with the cheerleaders doesn't justify stereotyping, I mean, considering some of you actively identify as SJW's or whatever.

Jocks are a privileged group in society. Just like I feel no qualm about insulting whites or men, I have no problem calling out jocks. And yes, I know that all generalizations are factually wrong, but in the context of this poll it makes sense.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »

The reason Mr. Hawk would say such a ridiculous thing is because he would never actually be able to talk to a cheerleader. Tbh just because you guys may have had poor experiences with so-called "jocks" just like mr. hawk apparently did with the cheerleaders doesn't justify stereotyping, I mean, considering some of you actively identify as SJW's or whatever.

Jocks are a privileged group in society. Just like I feel no qualm about insulting whites or men, I have no problem calling out jocks. And yes, I know that all generalizations are factually wrong, but in the context of this poll it makes sense.

You know I'm against Deluge-ing posts on principle, Tony, but Jesus this was tempting. "Jocks are a privileged group".  Are we living in a John Hughes movie?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 02:03:51 PM »

Like every group, many of them are great guys, however there are a few who are complete dicks.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »

You know I'm against Deluge-ing posts on principle, Tony, but Jesus this was tempting. "Jocks are a privileged group".  Are we living in a John Hughes movie?
Jocks=High school bourgeois?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 02:05:34 PM »

Check ur jock privilege Atlas Forum
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »

You know I'm against Deluge-ing posts on principle, Tony, but Jesus this was tempting. "Jocks are a privileged group".  Are we living in a John Hughes movie?

Aren't they? Privilege can mean many different things, it's not necessarily economic or racial. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the meaning of "jock", aren't they the popular guys who do well at sports, are the leaders of a large clique, and are always the center of attention?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »

hp all the hot girls go for jerk jocks and never for nice guys like me
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 02:30:51 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2015, 02:35:18 PM by PR »

You know I'm against Deluge-ing posts on principle, Tony, but Jesus this was tempting. "Jocks are a privileged group".  Are we living in a John Hughes movie?

Aren't they? Privilege can mean many different things, it's not necessarily economic or racial. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the meaning of "jock", aren't they the popular guys who do well at sports, are the leaders of a large clique, and are always the center of attention?

"Jock" is just a colloquial term for guys who are interested in sports-either playing and/or talking about them.  Sure there are some negative connotations and stereotypes assigned to them...but really, who cares?

Which brings me to the comment about "popular, cliquey guys who are always the center of attention." No offense, Tony, but that sounds a lot like something a less self-confident, insecure high school guy who is a tad jealous of the (real or perceived-really, it's often more the latter) popularity of other people (note that the grass always seems to be greener with other people! Tongue ).

I know this, because that was me in middle and high school. But I eventually realized that carrying a chip on my shoulder and projecting onto other people my own insecurities was doing me no favors, socially or personally. Honestly, most people really don't care what your own interests (sports, politics, etc.) are, as long as you own up to them and don't try to be something you're not. It really has little bearing on your "popularity" (which is another thing from high school that you should eventually stop caring about).

I hope you understand that I say this with all due respect.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2015, 02:41:22 PM by Antonio V »

LOL no, I don't think there was even a real "jock" at my middle school - which leads me to think it might be a specifically American phenomenon, related to the importance of athletics and such. Most of the assholes I've encountered in these years (and yes, I've encountered many assholes, and I feel perfectly justified in loathing these awful specimens) were just the average students, really.

Also, my best friend from High School (whom I still keep in touch with) was a charismatic super-popular guy who ended up becoming the student council president in senior year.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »

I don't have a problem admiring people who aspire to the best they can possibly be, whether intellectual in academics and arts or physical in athletics. I didn't realize this was a controversial position. Keep on lifting, bros.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 05:21:15 PM »

#notalljocks
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 10:48:22 PM »

Well somebody buys into the "punching up" fallacy that plagues the modern intersectionist left. It's okay when you do it, but nobody should dare apply your own standards to people you sympathize with.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2015, 11:42:04 PM »

In my experience, nerds were terrible and jocks were chill. Although I had pretty nerdy interests in high school and was a "hipster"-type, I bonded with jocks in my high school classes because they were interested in traditional pop culture fare rather than theater or anime or whatever. I'd much rather discuss baseball or Seinfeld or The Hangover than nerd crap.

I love thinking about the sociology of high school subcultures. I remember how important drugs were as an in-group/out-group sorter. The kids who did drugs, including me, were essentially one large group of deviants composing fairly "popular" types, quasi-hipsters and "white trash". The kids who didn't do drugs were sub-divided into standard and regional-specific high school subcultures including Mormons, jocks/popular, normal middle class, normal working class/poor, rednecks etc. In retrospect, it was kind of beautiful that the shared love of herb and opiates could unite a very diverse group of people into one big "friend" group.

In short, high school is weird.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 12:36:23 AM »

It depends of course, but they tend to be awful human beings.
Jocks are a privileged group in society. Just like I feel no qualm about insulting whites or men, I have no problem calling out jocks.
LOL no, I don't think there was even a real "jock" at my middle school - which leads me to think it might be a specifically American phenomenon, related to the importance of athletics and such.
wow...so, huh, where did you learn to hate jocks so much?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 04:07:29 AM »

It depends of course, but they tend to be awful human beings.
Jocks are a privileged group in society. Just like I feel no qualm about insulting whites or men, I have no problem calling out jocks.
LOL no, I don't think there was even a real "jock" at my middle school - which leads me to think it might be a specifically American phenomenon, related to the importance of athletics and such.
wow...so, huh, where did you learn to hate jocks so much?

Mostly news stories about the awful stuff that happens in high schools (bullying, homophobia, rape, etc.), I guess. I don't really care if it's an unfair view, because "jock" is more of an archetype to me than an actual category. It's not like I'm actually judging real people based on whether I consider them to be jocks or not.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »

most "jocks" I've hung out with have been pretty cool and friendly and not at all like the 1980s teen comedy stereotype

^
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2015, 11:36:02 AM by Cory »

wow...so, huh, where did you learn to hate "ns" so much?

Mostly news stories about the awful stuff that happens in black neighborhoods (bullying, homophobia, rape, etc.), I guess. I don't really care if it's an unfair view, because "n" is more of an archetype to me than an actual category. It's not like I'm actually judging real people based on whether I consider them to be ns or not.

*edited quote to make point*

The utter lack of self-awareness from the SJW types never ceases to amaze me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »

I would appreciate if you did not alter my quotes without making it clear these are your words and not mine.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »

Not sure news stories can be used to stereotype/hate certain groups.  School shooters are hardly ever your Homecoming King types, but we don't have a widespread prejudice against outcasts (and we shouldn't).
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »

I would appreciate if you did not alter my quotes without making it clear these are your words and not mine.

Fair enough.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies