Should judges be democratically elected?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:55:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should judges be democratically elected?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should judges be elected?
Yes, they should

No, they shouldn't

Unsure/conflicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: Should judges be democratically elected?  (Read 6689 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »

Of course not.  The right rulings will not always please popular opinion, and judges need some insulation from politics if they're going to interpret the law impartially.

However, SCOTUS justices should be limited to 20 years on the bench.  Otherwise, presidents scramble for young judges who will live for a long time, placing older, experienced judges at a disadvantage for selection.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »

I don't believe that democracy is incompatible with the judicial branch. If all the potential candidates were at least qualified to interpret the law, there's no reason it should be the governor and not the people choosing judges. State bar associations could set necessary standards to run for judicial office and the people could make the final choice.

Reelection, not the initial election is the big problem. Judges shouldn't face regular reelection campaigns or you get all the problems everyone is describing. Either judges should never face reelection or they should only face recall elections requiring a supermajority to remove them from office.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 03:06:15 AM »

No, they shouldn't be elected. Does the appointment process completely insulate the judiciary from partisan politics? Of course not. The executive is still going to appoint judges that they agree with ideologically. But the greatest danger from elected judges comes not from partisan bias, but from much more direct conflicts of interest. In states like Texas where all judges are elected, most of the campaign donations to judicial candidates come from either (1) lawyers, or (2) litigants that have or are likely to have cases pending in that court. It's one thing to have judges who are partisan hacks. It's another thing to have judges who are directly in the pocket of specific corporations and special interests like your average legislator is.

Now I understand that at the state level it would be difficult to come up with a good system for appointing all your county judges and the like. But at the very least state high courts should be appointed and not elected.   
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »

Of course not. It's nutter.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 02:15:57 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »

Welcome to Nutter PA
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 04:08:23 PM »

NY elects all the judges on party lines. Some are not even lawyers. Suffice it to say, the result is well -unfortunate. The level of law practice up here in the boonies really, really sucks - both judges and lawyers. It's appalling.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »

This is what you're asking for when judges have to campaign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caperton_v._A.T._Massey_Coal_Co.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 12:43:57 AM »

I'm happy Missouri has retention votes instead of judicial elections. The cluster [Inks] across the river in Illinois has convinced me that judicial elections are absolutely wretched.

California has retention votes too and they've proven to be terrible. Probably not as bad as actual elections, but nothing to be happy about.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 01:30:02 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2015, 01:34:16 AM by Joshua »

I'm happy Missouri has retention votes instead of judicial elections. The cluster [Inks] across the river in Illinois has convinced me that judicial elections are absolutely wretched.

California has retention votes too and they've proven to be terrible. Probably not as bad as actual elections, but nothing to be happy about.

Has a judge ever actually lost his or her seat from this?

[Edit]: Only three judges in California history have ever lost their seats, all in 1986 because they opposed the death penalty.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »

No, absolutely not. I do not at all believe electing judges can be compatible with a Constitution that guarantees basic fundamental rights. I can think of very few ideas more idiotic than the idea of an elected judiciary.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »

More proof electing them is a bad idea.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:55 AM »

No, judges should not be elected.  Judges should be accountable to the law, not the people, because they represent the law. 
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 01:45:34 AM »

No, judges should not be elected.  Judges should be accountable to the law, not the people, because they represent the law. 

Perfectly said.

Now, I think that judges should be elected by congress (obviously the state or local congress for a judge in that region). I'd say that Supreme Court judges should serve terms, and have them up for re-election. I'd probably have it be staggered 6-year terms where 3 come up every 2 years, and the 3 are selected by the entire congress by Single Transferable Vote. Make the judges answerable, but not to the people who understandably don't follow what they're doing or know about law, but who people who do.

Nobody should be democratically elected.

Um...can you explain that stance to me? I think that, for positions that answer to the people, a vote of the people is the best way to appoint them. Of course I'd use different voting methods to give voters more options (no FPTP or WTA), but I don't see how eliminating democracy altogether leads to anything but tyranny or at least a government even less efficient and even more out-of-touch than it is now.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »

Um...can you explain that stance to me? I think that, for positions that answer to the people, a vote of the people is the best way to appoint them. Of course I'd use different voting methods to give voters more options (no FPTP or WTA), but I don't see how eliminating democracy altogether leads to anything but tyranny or at least a government even less efficient and even more out-of-touch than it is now.
You're arguing with a banned sock account ftr
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 12:55:23 AM »

Retention is bad too. See California, 1986.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 12:33:39 PM »

Some seem to be pushing for this, on the right. It would be the worst thing possible
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »

Absolutely not.  Judicial elections is a terrible idea.
Will of the People
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »

Now that they once again ruled in favor of fags and libtards and against the will of the tax payers and human beings - absolutely!!!
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 01:57:25 AM »

Yes. Retention vote every 10 years or so.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »

Yes. Retention vote every 10 years or so.

Why? Then they suddenly become politicians. And then you've got SuperPACs involved.

They are insulated from public opinion and pressure so that they make the decisions possible, without having to worry about getting re-elected.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »

I am Unsure/Conflicted.

I am not a fan of too many elections. If it were up to me, Senators would still be appointed by the state legislature and there would be not popular vote for the Presidency, but rather a jury-style electoral college, selection by the state legislatures, or something along those lines. The most significant reason that voter turnout in the United States is low is that we have so many elections. This would also push politics down to a lower level and increase the power of the states and local government.

WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »

I am Unsure/Conflicted.

I am not a fan of too many elections. If it were up to me, Senators would still be appointed by the state legislature and there would be not popular vote for the Presidency, but rather a jury-style electoral college, selection by the state legislatures, or something along those lines. The most significant reason that voter turnout in the United States is low is that we have so many elections. This would also push politics down to a lower level and increase the power of the states and local government.

So if you think even the president should not be democratically elected, then who exactly do you think should? County commissioners?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »

Judges are supposed to be impartial interpreters and enforcers of the law, and having them subject to public opinion would hinder that, so no, they should not be elected.

That being said, judges should face term limits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies