H.R. 748- Interstate Parental Notification Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:11:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  H.R. 748- Interstate Parental Notification Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you support this?
Yes(D)

No(D)

Yes(R)

No(R)

Yes(I)

No(I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: H.R. 748- Interstate Parental Notification Act  (Read 4543 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 06:57:18 PM »

Yet another example of Congress attempting to overstretch the Interstate Commerce Clause. This is almost as ridiculous as the previous federal law prohibiting rape, made on the grounds that rape discourages victims from pursuing interstate commerce. Congress is clearly overstepping its bounds here, as it has done on so many other occasions under this clause.

I completely agree that the 'interstate commerce' clause (power to regulate commerce among the states) has been ridiculously overstretched.

However, recently the Rehnquist Court has begun to overturn the precedent that Congress can regulate anything that remotely affects or has to do with commerce.

In United States v. Lopez, the Supreme Court ruled that Congress has only the power to regulate:
(1) the channels of commerce,
(2) the instrumentalities of commerce, and
(3) action that substantially affects interstate commerce.

This is still too broad, but it's definitely better than the New Deal nonsense we had in place before.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2005, 09:54:02 AM »

Hell yeah! And any young girl who is stupid enough to get pregnant and get an abortion deserves to be beaten by her parents.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2005, 12:29:58 PM »

Hell yeah! And any young girl who is stupid enough to get pregnant and get an abortion deserves to be beaten by her parents.

This is precisely the reason that parents should not be informed, unless of course the girl chooses to do so.  Most parents are abusive religious intolerants, and in any case, if they were decent liberal parents, she would tell them on her own.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2005, 12:31:19 PM »

Thank you. I know I'd kick my daughter out of the house if she got pregnant and wanted an abortion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 12:36:01 PM »

Thank you. I know I'd kick my daughter out of the house if she got pregnant and wanted an abortion.

That is precisely why religious intolerants such as yourself should not be told - the goal is to prevent the girl from being abused.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2005, 12:38:29 PM »

Maybe your goal opebo.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 01:25:51 PM »

So much for the "sanctity of life."  opebo is dead on about you guys.  The reason NARAL takes their position is because of garbage like you and NixonNow.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2005, 01:48:06 PM »

The goal of those who are against parental notification is to prevent abuse of the girl.  That is obvious.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2005, 02:50:09 PM »

So much for the "sanctity of life."  opebo is dead on about you guys.  The reason NARAL takes their position is because of garbage like you and NixonNow.

NixonNow commented on this ?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 05:32:48 PM »

I don't think minors should be able to get abortions without parental consent.  I support parental consent laws even within states, so I see no reason to oppose an interstate consent law.

It makes little sense to me that a minor can't be given an aspirin legally without parental consent, but can get an abortion.  Abortion is not a sacrament, as some feminists seem to believe.

What if she is aborting her dad's fetus?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2005, 10:41:53 PM »

One argument is that the father could have raped the girl. In that case the father should be charged with rape and imprisoned (and perhaps raped in prison himself). But if a minor can't get a tatoo with out parental consent, it seems strange that they get this dangerous procedure done without parental consent.

Also something else. Michael Peroutka is critisizing Republicans for supporting this bill because it says that abortion is ok if the parents consent. It is true, but anything that makes it harder to unabort unchildren is a good thing. http://peroutka2004.com/schedule/index.php?action=eventview&event_id=710
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2005, 10:54:59 PM »

There are provisions in the bill that cover parental rape. The minor must report the incident to state authorities and attest that she has.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 10:29:36 AM »

Troll.

I don't think minors should be able to get abortions without parental consent.  I support parental consent laws even within states, so I see no reason to oppose an interstate consent law.

It makes little sense to me that a minor can't be given an aspirin legally without parental consent, but can get an abortion.  Abortion is not a sacrament, as some feminists seem to believe.

What if the minor is paying? If a minor pays a doctor, what reason is there for denying the minor's wishes, whether they want an asprin or an abortion?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 03:43:21 PM »

Uh, no. I completely agree with "Hitchabrut" on this issue. If my teen got an abortion, I would definitely throw her out on the street.

If I have to take care of the bitch, obviously I have a right to know what she's up to.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 04:11:42 PM »

Uh, no. I completely agree with "Hitchabrut" on this issue. If my teen got an abortion, I would definitely throw her out on the street.

If I have to take care of the bitch, obviously I have a right to know what she's up to.

Good lord man, that is horrendously abusive.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 04:12:35 PM »

Yes (R)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005, 04:44:38 PM »

Why should I have to take care of her? You only support 'social freedom' selectively.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2005, 04:49:14 PM »

Why should I have to take care of her? You only support 'social freedom' selectively.

I never said you should have to, just that to not do so was poor parenting (abuse).  Realistically, if you weren't going to take care of her, you should have aborted her. 
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »

If she disobeys him, why should he have responsibility with her. Better to tie her up and dump her in the river.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2005, 04:53:35 PM »

If she disobeys him, why should he have responsibility with her. Better to tie her up and dump her in the river.

Gosh, you are sure pro-life.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2005, 09:25:08 PM »

No.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2005, 09:44:44 PM »

if the 'culture of life' is anything like A18 and Jake have demonstrated, then i want no part of it. 

of course, my answer here is no.   
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2005, 09:47:33 PM »

The "culture of following what your parents say or finding out how much life can suck" is being exhibited here.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2005, 02:23:03 PM »

i oppose this bill.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2005, 02:43:44 PM »

This is a great example of the political agenda of the GOP and the religious for American women.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies