Current death penalty support by country ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:11:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Current death penalty support by country ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Current death penalty support by country ?  (Read 4594 times)
warandwar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »

On this topic, the Nebraska legislature is debating death penalty repeal now:
http://www.netnebraska.org/interactive-multimedia/government/unicameral-legislative-session-88
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 10:54:16 AM »

One thing to consider is probably that the phrasing of the poll question makes a huge difference in the result. You'll probably get a much higher result if you ask "Do you think the death penalty should be an option for the most heinous murderers?" instead of just "Do you support the death penalty?".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »

I can't find a new one, but the most recent I saw indicated 51% in support. A few years back in was in the 60s.

It's hardly a major political issue nowdays. Last execution was carried out in 1988, under the old regime, moratorium instituted in 1989 and capital punishment formally abolished in 1999. There's very little political support for reinstating the gallows outside of PiS and fruitcakes like Korwin.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »

It would be a great sign if a solidly Republican state would actually abolish it.

But I only believe it if it is actually signed into law ...
warandwar
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2015, 11:22:35 AM by warandwar »

It would be a great sign if a solidly Republican state would actually abolish it.

Only 30% of Nebraskans support the death penalty.
Support for the death penalty in America cuts across party lines. In Maryland, for example, abolition was held up for several years by Joe Vallario, the Democratic head of the Judiciary Committee.
Remember, North Dakota and Alaska both don't have the death penalty while California, Delaware, Oregon and Washington do. (of course the reasons for that are more complicated)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 11:28:59 AM »

Support for the death penalty in America cuts across party lines. In Maryland, for example, abolition was held up for several years by Joe Vallario, the Democratic head of the Judiciary Committee.
Remember, North Dakota and Alaska both don't have the death penalty while California, Delaware, Oregon and Washington do. (of course the reasons for that are more complicated)

Do you have a source for that ?

I seriously doubt that, considering US-wide support is 60-65% and it's traditionally higher in Republican states.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 02:05:57 PM »

I seriously doubt that, considering US-wide support is 60-65% and it's traditionally higher in Republican states.
I do
The bill got preliminary approval today.
Not sure if you know this or not, but a major goal of those against state executions today is to get 25 states to abolish the death penalty. At that point, the supreme court has implied that it'd be banned by the 8th amendment.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »

I do
Not sure if you know this or not, but a major goal of those against state executions today is to get 25 states to abolish the death penalty. At that point, the supreme court has implied that it'd be banned by the 8th amendment.

That's a poll from the ACLU though.

You need to treat it with 10 truckloads of salt.

PS: I didn't know that with the 25 states, I only knew that that was the goal of the National Popular Vote people.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »

The death penalty is in the Constitution (for treason) so the idea that it can be declared unconstitutional without an amendment is pretty dumb.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 08:59:12 AM »

In the 2008 and 2012 elections I think Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich were the only candidates opposed to capital punishment.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 07:23:04 PM »

In the 2008 and 2012 elections I think Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich were the only candidates opposed to capital punishment.
You can add Mike Gravel to that list.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »

The death penalty is in the Constitution (for treason) so the idea that it can be declared unconstitutional without an amendment is pretty dumb.

You are wrong. Article 3 Section 3 :
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

2: The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »

I do

That's a poll from the ACLU though.

You need to treat it with 10 truckloads of salt.

PS: I didn't know that with the 25 states, I only knew that that was the goal of the National Popular Vote people.

Just because it's from the ACLU doesn't mean it isn't accurate. People employ pollsters who give them accurate information.
National Popular Vote doesn't need 25 states, it needs 270 Electoral Votes.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

Support for the death penalty diminishes greatly when it is contrasted in the poll with life in prison without parole.  So in Nebraska - which doesn't have a history of much use of the death penalty, low crime, little racial divisiveness - the result is not so unbelievable.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2015, 04:19:04 PM »

Was there a decrease in support for the death penalty with the decrease in violent crimes since the 80s? (in the US ofc)

I don't have data on Israel, I suspect most Israelis are pro death penalty to Palestinian terrorists (which is de jure possible but the military itself is against). Not so much support for it in the regular criminal field (surprisingly one of the only social issues secular and orthodox agree on)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies