Christie fails to report income, avoids $152k in taxes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:37:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie fails to report income, avoids $152k in taxes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christie fails to report income, avoids $152k in taxes  (Read 1657 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:11:31 PM »

Somehow this isn't surprising.
bobloblaw
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:13:50 PM »

Looks like the GOPe candidates are imploding.

I predict a Walker/Rubio race. The rest will just be noise with Cruz and Paul maybe winning a couple of states.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »

Walker/Rubio race makes no sense. Too similar. It will be Walker or Rubio versus Cruz and Paul, with the 4th wheel fading into obscurity.
bobloblaw
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »

Walker/Rubio race makes no sense. Too similar. It will be Walker or Rubio versus Cruz and Paul, with the 4th wheel fading into obscurity.

yeah, I can see that.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:19:57 PM »

This actually seems pretty serious.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:21:16 PM »

At this point, I actually want Christie to run, for sheer amusement value.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 12:25:06 PM »

Christie has been a joke candidate for a while now and continues to be one.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 12:31:48 PM »

Christie has been a joke candidate for a while now and continues to be one.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »

Congrats Phil! Cheesy
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:23 PM »

Christie is really bad at covering up his own corruption, isn't he?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »

Oh dear.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »

why isn't this thug in jail yet?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »

Won't it be sublime if the two star governors of the Class of 2009 both ended up in prison?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 01:58:23 PM by SMilo »

This is a complete non-issue. I'm sure he has time to think about an obscure tax rule. Common sense tells you that an expense account should not be taxed. This is a particular type that was clearly overlooked. He's fine. He will amend as far back as he can and incur penalties for underpayment but nothing criminal. And he will make it all back when he does consulting post-governorship. If they failed to put it on his W-2, the state really messed up. If they did, both Christie and the IRS are really really dumb.

And neither he nor McDonnell will wind up in prison. Just watch.
bobloblaw
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 01:55:55 PM »

Key word might be avoid, not evade. Avoid is legal. Evade is illegal.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »

This is a complete non-issue. I'm sure he has time to think about an obscure tax rule. Common sense tells you that an expense account should not be taxed. This is a particular type that was clearly overlooked. He's fine. He will amend as far back as he can and incur penalties for underpayment but nothing criminal. And he will make it all back when he does consulting post-governorship. If they failed to put it on his W-2, the state really messed up. If they did, both Christie and the IRS are really really dumb.

McDonnell is already in prison.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »

McDonnell is already in prison.

No he is not. After an initial first ruling that he had to report even if he appealed, a later ruling allowed him to remain free for the time being, and I am confident the appeals process will clear him of these nonsense charges. He did absolutely nothing wrong.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »

Key word might be avoid, not evade. Avoid is legal. Evade is illegal.

That is correct, but the article should have used the verb "evade" rather than "avoid." Apparently if you don't have receipts to document your expenses, then whatever expense allowance you are paid by the state becomes wage income. Christie didn't have the receipts, either because he incurred no expenses (in which event what he did is flat out illegal), or if he did, does not have the receipts. If he can find or secure from vendors the receipts, than his tax problem to that extent is correctable.

I don't see how a CPA could have signed his tax return, assuming one did. If he told the CPA he had receipts, but lied to the CPA, then he is in real trouble, maybe criminal trouble.

Anyway, he's done. Even if, to be extremely generous and give him the benefit of the doubt, in a situation that looks really bad, he was just negligent, a guy who is negligent is not good POTUS material, obviously.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »

No he is not. After an initial first ruling that he had to report even if he appealed, a later ruling allowed him to remain free for the time being, and I am confident the appeals process will clear him of these nonsense charges. He did absolutely nothing wrong.

LMAO
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »

LMAO
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/bob-mcdonnell-amicus-brief-attorneys-general-115901.html

All politicians should be terrified by this. I'm not being a partisan hack either. I constantly talk about Siegelman on this forum and I said Menendez should not be indicted despite my hatred toward him.

I also conceded that one of my favorites Rob McCord was in the wrong.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »

LMAO
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/bob-mcdonnell-amicus-brief-attorneys-general-115901.html

All politicians should be terrified by this. I'm not being a partisan hack either. I constantly talk about Siegelman on this forum and I said Menendez should not be indicted despite my hatred toward him.

I also conceded that one of my favorites Rob McCord was in the wrong.

Yes, all politicians should be terrified of this so that they will all stop accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts from their lobbyist friends.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 09:07:26 PM »

That is correct, but the article should have used the verb "evade" rather than "avoid." Apparently if you don't have receipts to document your expenses, then whatever expense allowance you are paid by the state becomes wage income. Christie didn't have the receipts, either because he incurred no expenses (in which event what he did is flat out illegal), or if he did, does not have the receipts. If he can find or secure from vendors the receipts, than his tax problem to that extent is correctable.

I don't see how a CPA could have signed his tax return, assuming one did. If he told the CPA he had receipts, but lied to the CPA, then he is in real trouble, maybe criminal trouble.

Anyway, he's done. Even if, to be extremely generous and give him the benefit of the doubt, in a situation that looks really bad, he was just negligent, a guy who is negligent is not good POTUS material, obviously.

Christie's office now denies the article's tax treatment, claiming that the expense account is not required to be included in Christie's income.  Christie's office claims that any yearly excess was returned to the state, despite the claims made in the article.  

Also, just because no receipts were required to be provided to the legislature doesn't mean that no receipts were kept or that the Governor's office didn't have an official policy requiring receipts from its employees.

You'd think that if the expense account were to be included in income, the state would have been required to include it on Christie's W-2, no?  If they didn't, it's hard to see how the IRS could come after Christie criminally, receipts or no receipts.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies