VT-Gov: Jim Douglas Taking Lots of Heat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:05:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VT-Gov: Jim Douglas Taking Lots of Heat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VT-Gov: Jim Douglas Taking Lots of Heat  (Read 2239 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2005, 02:46:27 PM »

From The Swing State Project:

While some discuss Vermont Governor Jim Douglas as a possible Senate candidate, with all of the trouble he's having in the press, he might have trouble holding onto his own seat.

He was blasted by the Burlington Free Press for, "removing the lone African-American member of the state's Human Rights Commission when his term expired and replacing him with a white member, thus creating the first all-white commission since its creation in 1988."

And Douglas is taking a great deal of heat for his expected veto of health insurance, from the Brattleboro Reformer:

Add it up, and the scare stories about what a government-run health system would mean ring rather hollow. Care is already being rationed, by limiting the best care to those who have the ability to pay. We are already paying more money for less health care. And we still have more than 40 million Americans who have no health insurance and are more likely to develop expensive and deadly conditions because they postpone care because they lack the money to pay for treatment.

Is this what Gov. James Douglas and the Republicans in the Legislature support? A system that works only for the fortunate few? A system that is bloated and inefficient? A system that all of us end up paying for anyway in higher consumer costs, higher taxes and higher insurance premiums?

The time is now. And again, as in so many other issues, Vermont can show the way -- but only if our leaders have the guts to do it.

Guts?

Well that is something Douglas lacks. He doesn't seem to have the guts to focus on civil rights for non-whites. He doesn't seem to have the guts to solve Vermont's health care crisis.

With how out-of-touch he is, it is a wonder that people are even talking about him getting another office.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 02:54:48 PM »

Well, first of all, I find the Burlington Free Press to be ridiculous here. Vermont is 96.8% white, and only 0.5% black.

However, although I don't disagree with him on the health care thing, I doubt the state of Vermont shares his view.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 02:57:27 PM »

Please, please stop trying to pass off the Swing State Projects as being even vaguely reliable as a source...
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 03:14:39 PM »

Please, please stop trying to pass off the Swing State Projects as being even vaguely reliable as a source...

The articles are legit.  I post the Swing State Project link to verify where I found the articles.  Dont like em'?  Dont read em'. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 03:33:04 PM »

The Swing State Project has highly biased commentary, but the articles and information itself it cites are all reliable from what I can tell.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 04:58:52 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2005, 05:10:56 PM by nickshepDEM »

The Swing State Project has highly biased commentary, but the articles and information itself it cites are all reliable from what I can tell.

^^^

Correct.  Ive already stated in a previous thread that they are biased.  The guys who run Swing State Project are Chuck Pennachio's campaign mangers.  The articles are legit, but the commentary is definitley biased toward Democrats.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 06:41:38 PM »

His odds at winning the Senate race are virtually zero.
I'd assume he has a reasonable chance at winning re-election to governor.
He might have a slight chance at winning the House seat, but that probably wouldn't be that high, either.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 12:42:59 AM »

His odds at winning the Senate race are virtually zero.
I'd assume he has a reasonable chance at winning re-election to governor.
He might have a slight chance at winning the House seat, but that probably wouldn't be that high, either.

you got it.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 12:48:10 AM »

His odds are better than most the Democrats have to face. Even Reid admits it'll take a "miracle" to make progress in the Senate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 12:50:42 AM »

Making progress would mean a significant gain, that's not likely, but this seat would be a hold (since Jeffords is a de facto Democrat anyway). So it's really about as relavant as the fact that if Ted Kennedy or Orrin Hatch retired, neither seat would have any chance of switching.

I simply can not see how anyone can argue Douglas is in a better position than William Weld or Tony Knowles. Or even Jeanne Shaheen.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 12:55:46 AM »

All three, if I recall correctly, were running in a Presidential year... very bad in states outside your ideological comfort zone.

Douglas isn't and is rated quite highly in polls.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 12:57:16 AM »

Shaheen wasn't in a presidential year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »