Opinion of the Treaty of Versailles? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:58:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Treaty of Versailles? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: 1919 treaty
Freedom Treaty

Horrible Treaty

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of the Treaty of Versailles?  (Read 2042 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:31 PM »

Honestly, the problem I have with Versailles isn't with any of the punitive clauses. (The land to Belgium is questionable, but given how much Belgium suffered that minor revision can be accepted). I don't particularly like the banning of a merger between Austria and Germany clause, either, but I understand it. Even the reparations are justifiable and reasonable. The war guilt clause was a stupid and purely ceremonial slap in the face to Germany on totally unreasonable grounds, and as a totally egregious insult to Germany that had little basis in reality.

If you want unjustified Carthaginian Peace treaties after World War I, you're not looking for Versailles. Try St. Germain, Trianon(!), and Sevres, the last of which was so egregious that the Turks actually resumed hostilities and mostly overturned its worst elements at Lausanne in 1923.

Margaret MacMillan's amazing Paris 1919 is a must-read, seriously one of the best history books I've ever read.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies