Christie backs means testing of Social Security, raising retirement age
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:09:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie backs means testing of Social Security, raising retirement age
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Christie backs means testing of Social Security, raising retirement age  (Read 813 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-14/christie-pushes-means-test-for-social-security-in-new-hampshire

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He also proposed raising the Social Security retirement age to 69 for those born in 1960 or later and the Medicare age to 67.

Sanders immediately attacked him:

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »

Christie is trying to win the serious person vote.

He will win D.C. and lose everywhere else.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »

Well, he just made an enemy of AARP.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »

Put an X through that one. Very insulting.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »

But remember he's a moderate!
CountryClassSF

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »

He is an extreme liberal on social security. Savage discussed this today. Don't be fooled.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »

Percentage of 2012 GOP Primary Voters Over Age 50 in Early States
Source: NBC

New Hampshire: 56%

South Carolina: 61%

Florida: 71%

Great way to start, Chris.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »

My thoughts exactly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18:48 PM »

Florida isn't an "early state" anymore.  The primary is two weeks after Super Tuesday.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »

Am I the only one surprised by this? I wonder if the establishment is convinced Rubio and Bush split the vote down the middle and don't want a spoiler to get momentum
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »

They're probably hoping one of them (Rubio) drops out way before Florida.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:08 PM »

Well he has to do something to be relevant again.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »

Am I the only one surprised by this? I wonder if the establishment is convinced Rubio and Bush split the vote down the middle and don't want a spoiler to get momentum

Rubio helped push the change in the Florida primary date back in 2013.  (This was back when it was less clear that Bush was actually going to run, and the thinking was that Rubio might be the only Floridian in the race.)  The RNC had just passed tougher penalties on states other than IA/NH/NV/SC that vote earlier than March 1.  So if Florida had held an early primary again, it would have lost all but 12 delegates.  Rubio presumably figured that he wouldn't get much of any bounce from winning Florida, since it's his home state.  So he needed it more for delegates than for momentum.  So it made sense to move it to a date when it could keep all its delegates.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »

This kind of smacks of a hail Mary. He is grabbing the third rail to get attention and change the negative narrative about him to bring it back to his "truth teller" persona.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »

Perfect demographics for such a plan seeing as no one over 56/57 is even affected in any way. He will pitch it just fine.

Wonderful news - this is being shared like crazy on Facebook. It's been awhile since I've seen all the Christie superfans (and trust me there's PLENTY of them on my friend list) get quite this excited.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »

So you have to work and pay into the system even longer before you can retire because the average life expectancy has increased. Sounds like a screwy deal.

And if you make too much you lose all the money you paid into it as well.

I oppose both of these, they make SS worse than it already is.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 10:55:25 PM »

So you have to work and pay into the system even longer before you can retire because the average life expectancy has increased. Sounds like a screwy deal.

And if you make too much you lose all the money you paid into it as well.

I oppose both of these, they make SS worse than it already is.

Which is the real goal of these proposals. Back door privatization by destroying the system.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 11:20:48 PM »

Smart move.

There's no McCain in this cycle, so that leaves an opening.

It fits the positive elements of Chrisite's brand, and gets him some free media.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:35 PM »

To save social security, we need a combination of a payroll tax cap increase and  a retirement age increase. That's the (sad) truth of the matter, and there's nothing hard-right about it. The means testing thing is unnecessary, but it's not something I have a problem with and it does not constitute privatizing the system.

Sanders (along with most of the rest of the democratic party) needs to stop spewing this "hope for the best" rhetoric and realize that SS will eventually become insolvent if we don't raise the retirement age (unless we just want to keep raising taxes to no end, which doesn't sound like a good solution). It's not a nice thing to do, sure, but it's a fiscal necessity.

Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 11:34:53 PM »

To save social security, we need a combination of a payroll tax cap increase and  a retirement age increase. That's the (sad) truth of the matter, and there's nothing hard-right about it. The means testing thing is unnecessary, but it's not something I have a problem with and it does not constitute privatizing the system.

Sanders (along with most of the rest of the democratic party) needs to stop spewing this "hope for the best" rhetoric and realize that SS will eventually become insolvent if we don't raise the retirement age (unless we just want to keep raising taxes to no end, which doesn't sound like a good solution). It's not a nice thing to do, sure, but it's a fiscal necessity.

The payroll tax needs to be replaced with a tax on speculation, after which the retirement age can be slightly reduced.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »

Given that the average American lives to mid-70's, raising the retirement age isn't too bad of an idea.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 11:36:34 PM »

The payroll tax needs to be replaced with a tax on speculation, after which the retirement age can be slightly reduced.

tax on stock investment? Don't we already have that with the capital gains tax? And reducing the retirement age will only make things worse.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 11:44:09 PM »

tax on stock investment? Don't we already have that with the capital gains tax? And reducing the retirement age will only make things worse.

No. A financial transaction tax (which existed from 1914-1965) is different from capital gains. Capital gains is when the revenue of an asset is greater it's purchase price. I'm talking about a tax on Wall Street speculation, the proceeds going to the Social Security Trust Fund.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 11:54:37 PM »

No. A financial transaction tax (which existed from 1914-1965) is different from capital gains. Capital gains is when the revenue of an asset is greater it's purchase price. I'm talking about a tax on Wall Street speculation, the proceeds going to the Social Security Trust Fund.

So you're telling me LBJ was a good President!?

We actually do still have one - it's just slightly over 10 percent of the previous rate (it gets updated frequently so perhaps just under now?)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 11:59:08 PM »

To save social security, we need a combination of a payroll tax cap increase and  a retirement age increase. That's the (sad) truth of the matter, and there's nothing hard-right about it. The means testing thing is unnecessary, but it's not something I have a problem with and it does not constitute privatizing the system.

So you're telling me LBJ was a good President!?

We actually do still have one - it's just slightly over 10 percent of the previous rate (it gets updated frequently so perhaps just under now?)

That's used for the SEC, though. And derivatives are untaxed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies