Did you consolidate your Stafford loan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:41:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Did you consolidate your Stafford loan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No, I like high interest rates

I'm a rich or an uneducated

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Did you consolidate your Stafford loan?  (Read 1615 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2006, 04:15:51 AM »

When Bush ran for-reselection Stafford loans had a 2.8% interest rate.
As of today, it's now 6.8%.

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 07:23:37 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2006, 07:25:39 AM by nickshepDEM »

Unfortunatley, I did not.  I received a sh**t-load of literature, but I thought it was just another loan scam.

... damn

But somethign doesnt seem right here.  My loans are the deferred type and I thought I agreed to a set interest rate.  How can they magically up the interest rate I agreed to on contract?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 10:53:37 AM »

Option 3
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 11:11:25 AM »

Unfortunatley, I did not.  I received a sh**t-load of literature, but I thought it was just another loan scam.

... damn

But somethign doesnt seem right here.  My loans are the deferred type and I thought I agreed to a set interest rate.  How can they magically up the interest rate I agreed to on contract?

Go back and read the contract.  Don't get your information from jfern.

I remember when I was in college, my student loan rate was 7%, and that was considered a GREAT rate at the time.  A year after I started college, the rate went up to 9%, still below market at the time.

I didn't really have a choice about rates at that time.  The program has changed a lot.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 11:31:02 AM »

option 3 I guess.  I'll probably need to take one out in a couple years.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 02:08:55 PM »

Obviously, option 3, since I don't know what a Stafford loan is.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 04:22:56 PM »

... damn

Old Stafford loans have a variable rate. The new ones are fixed at 6.8%.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 07:12:41 PM »

Yes, of course I did.  Back a few years ago when the rates were decently low, and the consolidation put it at a fixed rate.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 11:05:25 PM »

Option 3 (rich)

Actually, just wait for the next recession (to some people here, we've never been out of a recession) and the Fed will start lowering rates again and then reconsolidate.  Variable rates are for losers (or those with so-so credit history or no cash), unless the term is ultra-short (under 1 year or so, 2 years max)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 07:10:13 AM »

Option 3 (rich)

Actually, just wait for the next recession (to some people here, we've never been out of a recession) and the Fed will start lowering rates again and then reconsolidate.  Variable rates are for losers (or those with so-so credit history or no cash), unless the term is ultra-short (under 1 year or so, 2 years max)

Yes, for some people here, the 'recession' that we've been in for the past 6+ years will end when the next Democratic administration takes office (which hopefully won't be for a long time).  It's an interesting definition of recession that includes a period of 3-4% annual economic growth.  It seems to me that for these people, the definition of 'recession' is purely political, and not based on actual facts of economic performance.  What a shock.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:42:17 AM »

Option 3 (rich)

Yes, for some people here, the 'recession' that we've been in for the past 6+ years will end when the next Democratic administration takes office (which hopefully won't be for a long time).  It's an interesting definition of recession that includes a period of 3-4% annual economic growth.  It seems to me that for these people, the definition of 'recession' is purely political, and not based on actual facts of economic performance.  What a shock.

The last six years have been abysmal for working class people, fellows, and for the most part so was the last period of growth (the late 1990's).  Economic growth alone does little or nothing to emeliorate the miseries of the lower working class, as without State redistribution nearly all the increased production goes to those at the top of the social heirarchy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies