Well, they finally shut us down.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:06:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Well, they finally shut us down.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Well, they finally shut us down.  (Read 1969 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »
« edited: April 15, 2015, 07:53:23 AM by Eraserhead »

I just want to thank all of the contributors who made Update™ one of the most interesting threads on the web for the last several years.

Mods, I ask that you please do not delete past Update™ seasons so that future generations may relive this tremendous and haunting tale if they wish.

BushOklahoma, if you become interested in producing a sequel to Update™ someday elsewhere let me know.

Otherwise, it looks like that's it. The end of an era. At least it had a fittingly epic ending with the invasion and everything.

UPDATE™ (2009-2015)

I guess we'll actually have to start talking about politics again now. Sad
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »

I for one appreciate the gracious way that you are handling this Eraserhead. I know it will be much appreciated by all of the Mods. Thanks.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:05:31 AM »

I for one appreciate the gracious way that you are handling this Eraserhead. I know it will be much appreciated by all of the Mods. Thanks.

You're welcome, friend. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't really even keeping up with what was happening in the threads anymore (at least until the latest Sprouts-related insanity happened) and it was kind of annoying to have to restart the thread every 80 pages.

That said, Update™ at its best was a thing of beauty. It was unlike anything else I've seen in a lot of ways. It will be missed.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »

I never even read it, but what is so blasphemous about someone posting hilariously sad updates about their life on the "Forum Community" board? Usually I give the benefit of the doubt, but does someone wanna fill me in? I'm not seeing it...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »

Update was shut down?

Sad

Looks like we will be seeing a lot less of Dukey in the future.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »

Although supporting this for some of my own reasons, I think if Update has to go then PAPOY and Update for Everyone else get the boot, too.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »

Although supporting this for some of my own reasons, I think if Update has to go then PAPOY and Update for Everyone else get the boot, too.

PAPOY needs to be more strictly moderated to prevent the creepfest, but Update for Everyone is nowhere near the level of personal invasiveness that The Update was at.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »

I think it ended up being a great ending in context.

Series Finale (Sn 22, Ep 13) "April Fools"

April 1, 2015: Bushie has finally made it. He has a job at Sprouts that the forum respects and will help him lose weight. His parents support him. Allison is talking to him again. On April Fools of all days, life is normal for Jeff Brown. But, like Walter White at the end of Breaking Bad's penultimate Granite State, that conclusion simply wasn't satisfying.

April 2, 2015: He walks out of the job. Gives them the "two weeks." Signs up for another call center scam job. Tells his parents to support him mooching. And finally, for once in his life, he makes a big change. He makes a change that he finally sticks to: he leaves the forum and ends Update.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »

Closing it really was objectively the right thing to do.   
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »

I think it ended up being a great ending in context.

Series Finale (Sn 22, Ep 13) "April Fools"

April 1, 2015: Bushie has finally made it. He has a job at Sprouts that the forum respects and will help him lose weight. His parents support him. Allison is talking to him again. On April Fools of all days, life is normal for Jeff Brown. But, like Walter White at the end of Breaking Bad's penultimate Granite State, that conclusion simply wasn't satisfying.

April 2, 2015: He walks out of the job. Gives them the "two weeks." Signs up for another call center scam job. Tells his parents to support him mooching. And finally, for once in his life, he makes a big change. He makes a change that he finally sticks to: he leaves the forum and ends Update.

He told me he'll be posting here again soon though. His return should be especially interesting now.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »

He'll be banned instantly if the moderators actually enforce their new rule.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »

I'm actually glad Update got something resembling a proper finish. Better than it petering out over something like the Utah arc.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »

rip in pasta

Or more fittingly, rip in double bacon cheeseburgers
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 01:34:47 AM »

Carrying something on for six years on a internet forum Huh But that, that, THATS CRAZY!!!!!
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 01:50:48 AM »

Carrying something on for six years on a internet forum Huh But that, that, THATS CRAZY!!!!!

You do seem rather unstable.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 02:20:49 AM »

You do seem rather unstable.

Man, I was hoping for someone who would appreciate the sarcasm and respond in kind. Such killjoy Turk. Tongue
Panda Express

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again!

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

I thought the parts where he got engaged after being in a relationship for only a few weeks and when he thought she was pregnant were kind of funny.  I could never really get into anything after that.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 04:30:46 PM »

I thought the parts where he got engaged after being in a relationship for only a few weeks and when he thought she was pregnant were kind of funny.  I could never really get into anything after that.

He had sex one day and declared he was going to be a father like... that night.  Classic.  Totally part of the child-like wonder with which he saw the world.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »

He had sex one day and declared he was going to be a father like... that night.  Classic.  Totally part of the child-like wonder with which he saw the world.

When I first read him say he was going to be a father I literally thought that there was a pregnancy test involved. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »

And yet that single night proves also that he is one of the less sexually repressed members on the Forum. Congrats to him for that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies