Nuclear Restriction Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:40:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Nuclear Restriction Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nuclear Restriction Bill  (Read 3077 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2005, 11:25:08 PM »

As introduced by Senator MAS117 and written by Secretary of State Siege40.

Nuclear Restriction Bill[/u]

§ I The Government of Atlasia will neither sell technology in the process to generate nuclear weapons, or operational nuclear weapons to foreign powers.

§ II. In the Foreign Policy, all instances referring to ‘No military Restrictions,’ excludes nuclear weapons and nuclear weapon technology.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 12:06:18 AM »

This bill was written by Sec. of State Siege40, as a State Dept. Senate recommendaton, so I thought I'd introduce it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 12:43:33 AM »

So, in other words, this bill means that we can't sell any nuclear technology to any country, regardless of diplomatic policy or intent. 

While this makes total sense with countries that are negative towards us, I am wondering about countries that wouldn't be.

And most importantly, I am also assuming that this includes any technology that might be used for nuclear power means as well.

I'm not sold on this bill at all frankly, and I think something needs to be done about these issues.  You'll probably see some amendments on this in the coming days, as I examine the bill more closely.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 11:19:39 AM »

The one problem I have is that this has no clause saying that the Senate can approve the selling of nuclear arms to friendly countries. We have in the past sold nuclear weapons to Israel in order to facilitate its survival and I believe the selling of nuclear arms should be able to happen if this government deems it necessary.

Also like Senator Spade said before does this include nuclear power production technology since spent Uranium from nuclear power stations can in turn be used to create nuclear arms.

Personally I would rather see this be only for nations upon which their are military restrictions already in place and for select other nations that the Senate or the Secretary of State may deem too hostile or to unstable to sell nuclear technology and nuclear arms to.

I would like to see what Sen. Spade proposes before I make any proposals or amendments of my own.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 02:15:49 PM »

As the Secretary of Defence I should probably chime in on this.

I do not support or endorse this bill personally as I think it is essential that we be able to better our allies abilities to defend themselves. I would like to know what would be done with Taiwan, with Israel and all other nations under severe threat under this bill.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 08:40:31 PM »

Let me start off on this bill by making a motion to amend Clause 1 to read:

§ I The Government of Atlasia shall not sell technology to any foreign country used in the development and maintenence of nuclear weapons, tactical nuclear weapons or any other means of creating nuclear weapons, unless the Secretary of State places no military restrictions on said country.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 03:03:37 PM »

§ I The Government of Atlasia shall not sell technology to any foreign country used in the development and maintenence of nuclear weapons, tactical nuclear weapons or any other means of creating nuclear weapons, unless the Secretary of State places no military restrictions on said country.

I support Sam's amendment.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 03:16:38 PM »

I call the vote on this amendment to order.

Please vote Aye/Nay/Abastain.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 03:17:34 PM »

Aye on Senator Spade's amendment.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 03:19:31 PM »

Aye.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 03:57:36 PM »

Aye on Sam's amendment.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 05:56:35 PM »

Aye
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 07:48:31 PM »

Aye

I would like a motion to amend clause II to read:

§ II. In the Foreign Policy guidelines, all instances referring to ‘No military Restrictions,’ excludes nuclear weapons and nuclear weapon technology, except where specifically noted.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 04:38:11 PM »

I don't see the point of DanielX's amendment, as it basically says what's said in the first amendment.

I would also like to propose another four amendments to make this a bill, rather than some meandering thoughts.

§ II. The Government of Atlasia shall not sell technology to any foreign country used in the development and maintenence of nuclear reactors, nuclear plants, or any other means of harnessing or using nuclear fuel for energy, unless the Secretary of State places no military restrictions on said country.

§ III. The Government of Atlasia shall not sell technology to produce, manufacture, or create nuclear fuel and may not sell any nuclear fuel already created for use in weapons or reactors, unless the Secretary of State places no military restrictions on said country.

§ IV. If the Secretary of State changes designation on any country from "Full or Partial Military Restrictions" to "No Military Restrictions", the ability to purchase nuclear materials, as outlined in Clauses 1-3, shall not apply to said country unless said country country keeps the "No Military Restrictions" designation from the Secretary of State for more than one year consecutively.

§ V.  If the Secretary of State changes designation on any country from "No Military Restrictions" to "Full or Partial Military Restrictions", the ability to purchase nuclear materials, as outlined in Clauses 1-3, shall be stopped immediately to said country, and any prior transactions between the Government of Atlasia and said country in any nuclear materials shall be revoked and no more materials shall be sent to said country.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 04:48:24 PM »

Are we voting on these all at once, or as four seperates amendments?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 05:03:32 PM »

I would hope, all at once, though this is up to Gabu.

Like Aye, Aye, Aye, Aye or something.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 05:15:58 PM »

With five votes in favor to none against, Sam's amendment has passed.

I don't see the point of DanielX's amendment, as it basically says what's said in the first amendment.

I would also like to propose another four amendments to make this a bill, rather than some meandering thoughts.

§ II. The Government of Atlasia shall not sell technology to any foreign country used in the development and maintenence of nuclear reactors, nuclear plants, or any other means of harnessing or using nuclear fuel for energy, unless the Secretary of State places no military restrictions on said country.

§ III. The Government of Atlasia shall not sell technology to produce, manufacture, or create nuclear fuel and may not sell any nuclear fuel already created for use in weapons or reactors, unless the Secretary of State places no military restrictions on said country.

§ IV. If the Secretary of State changes designation on any country from "Full or Partial Military Restrictions" to "No Military Restrictions", the ability to purchase nuclear materials, as outlined in Clauses 1-3, shall not apply to said country unless said country country keeps the "No Military Restrictions" designation from the Secretary of State for more than one year consecutively.

§ V.  If the Secretary of State changes designation on any country from "No Military Restrictions" to "Full or Partial Military Restrictions", the ability to purchase nuclear materials, as outlined in Clauses 1-3, shall be stopped immediately to said country, and any prior transactions between the Government of Atlasia and said country in any nuclear materials shall be revoked and no more materials shall be sent to said country.

Just one comment on this before I start voting on DanielX's and your amendments: you may want to re-word section 2, as its current wording sounds like you are not allowed to sell any technology whatsoever to a country if that country is used in the development of nuclear stuff.  For that matter, you may want to do the same thing for the section 1 that just passed. Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 08:10:11 PM »

Just one comment on this before I start voting on DanielX's and your amendments: you may want to re-word section 2, as its current wording sounds like you are not allowed to sell any technology whatsoever to a country if that country is used in the development of nuclear stuff.  For that matter, you may want to do the same thing for the section 1 that just passed. Smiley

I don't understand.  It seems pretty clear that we're saying that you're not allowed to sell the stuff unless the country has no military restrictions on it, as stated by the Secretary of State.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 03:55:09 PM »

So, did we vote on this or not? Huh
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 04:12:09 PM »

No one's opened the vote yet.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 04:15:52 PM »

So, given that the Senate is busy getting drunk at the bar, are we going to get back to this one or not? Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 04:31:07 PM »

So, given that the Senate is busy getting drunk at the bar, are we going to get back to this one or not? Wink

You'll have to drag Gabu in here to get stuff done.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 04:40:52 PM »

You'll have to drag Gabu in here to get stuff done.

Darn drunken Senator... Tongue
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 02:37:15 PM »

The present state of this Bill in its re-introduced form is as follows:

Nuclear Restriction Bill

§ II. In the Foreign Policy, all instances referring to ‘No military Restrictions,’ excludes nuclear weapons and nuclear weapon technology.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 02:38:39 PM »

I open the vote on these 4 amendments, which shall be voted on separately.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies