How much backlash would this Republican comment get?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:30:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How much backlash would this Republican comment get?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How much backlash would this Republican comment get?  (Read 7820 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »

Had someone with this type of attitude ran for congressional office?

"I'm sick of these freeloading welfare dopes that hang around the streets all because of our spook president that was elected into office. If we just let people who only pay taxes vote, the situation in Washington would be comparable to what our Founding Fathers had intended. And don't get me started on those illegal losers. Those sub-human species should be deported to whatever they came from. Muslims should also practiced the Christian life or get the f out of this great nation. I hate our political correctness has pussified our nation, leading the country into deficit while they get all the dough and white tax payers get none of the slice. All you need to do in America to succeed is do be lazy and act entitled because your some political correct tool who believes who believes he deserves more than white middle class males. And Obama, please get the f out of this country you military-spitting mass murder monkey. You'll never be a true American to us real Americans. I would never dear to shake the muslim in chief hand in any public appearance whatsoever".
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »

Fox News would praise them as the noble philosophers of our time and draft them to run President.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »

You would see him depicted in a robe and hood and, standing next to a burning cross, in editorial cartoons.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »

That's like something that Ted Cruz might say at the 2016 RNC if he gets the nomination (LOL!).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »

That Republican would lead in the polls by 5-10% for a while, because some people think like this. But they may not win.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 07:30:03 PM »

A Republican? Who knows? Sounds more like something a Democrat would say. Didn't they have a Klansman as Obama's 3rd in line after Biden and Pelosi?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »

Fox News and Talk Radio would furiously defend him as a great patriot speaking truth to power. He would almost certainly be invited to speak at the next three CPACs. And there are plenty of places around the country where he could win a congressional seat.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »

A Republican? Who knows? Sounds more like something a Democrat would say. Didn't they have a Klansman as Obama's 3rd in line after Biden and Pelosi?

Byrd? He was in the 40's, he later apologized for it. Whether you think he was still believing it was the question.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 02:21:40 PM »

Holy crap someone from Delaware
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »

remind me again which party

"I'm sick of these freeloading welfare dopes that hang around the streets all because of our spook president that was elected into office. If we just let people who only pay taxes vote, the situation in Washington would be comparable to what our Founding Fathers had intended.
demonizes welfare recipients
You must be logged in to read this quote.
and illegal immigrants
and muslims
and political correctness
and claims to hate deficits
etc etc etc

come on blackraisin are you even trying?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 08:48:03 PM »

Fox News and Talk Radio would furiously defend him as a great patriot speaking truth to power. He would almost certainly be invited to speak at the next three CPACs. And there are plenty of places around the country where he could win a congressional seat.

Do you think even the racial context of the comment would fly in even heavily Republican areas?  Am I underestimating the racism of many voters in this country or could this be realistic scenario in which such a candidate could be elected into congress?

Yes and yes. Just look at how Fox News has covered Ferguson and Black Lives Matter. Also look at what's happened with Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty since his interview, becoming something of a regular at conservative and Republican events - his remarks on gays got all the attention due to the crude language he used, but his remarks on race were far more odious.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »

Most Yahoo news commentators are unable to run for office, luckily.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:12 AM »

So those anti-Obama comments are something a Democrat would say?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »

So those anti-Obama comments are something a Democrat would say?
Frankly there are registered Democrats who are pretty anti-Obama.  Look at how Kentucky voted for 60-39 for Romney and how the state is still mostly Democratic by registration.  So yes, some Democrats are ignorant enough to say something like that.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 07:43:33 PM »

I read that in my local paper every single day. There was once somebody who wrote in saying how much better it'd be if only white landowners over 40 got to vote.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 01:09:27 AM »

I think that comments like this or coverage of the "backlash" that they bring is a silly distraction and a waste of everyone's time. When has anything worthwhile happened as a result of that kind of routine that couldn't have happened another way? Has it ever really solved a problem?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »

I read that in my local paper every single day. There was once somebody who wrote in saying how much better it'd be if only white landowners over 40 got to vote.
One of my professors said that to us years ago.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 02:11:18 AM »

You would see him depicted in a robe and hood and, standing next to a burning cross, in editorial cartoons.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »

yes, and for good reason.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 08:41:09 PM »

Byrd? He was in the 40's, he later apologized for it. Whether you think he was still believing it was the question.

So did Thurmond and Helms, but because they're not fiscal liberals, they didn't get the "all's good now!" treatment.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »

Helms didn't recant.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 11:17:07 AM »

Chris McDaniel?

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 01:28:01 AM »

Republicans wouldn't really like this. Maybe at first, and maybe some would, but lots of the more sensible ones (yes, lots of them are more sensible, they aren't the strawmen liberals look at them as, although I do disagree with lots of their positions) and wouldn't like the "Muslims should become Christians or leave" bit (they talk a lot about religious liberty, and I hope they realize at least a little bit that that doesn't just go their way--if anything they'd be against it on the grounds that someone might say it the other way around someday) and I doubt they'd really like the racist parts. I think some Republicans are a bit racist, but very few of them are as racist as liberals imagine them to be. Theocratic, yes, pro-war, yes, but they're not on the whole racist enough to get behind this.

The sayer of this comment wouldn't win most congressional districts and would never survive a primary.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »

No one has said anything that stupid.

Anyone who did would be a political pariah.
mencken
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 11:55:54 PM »

The only part I object to is the insinuation that the President is Muslim.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies