Opinion of Jeannette Rankin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:51:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Jeannette Rankin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: First woman elected to Congress
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Opinion of Jeannette Rankin?  (Read 1954 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:50:06 AM »

Has the additional distinction of voting against both world wars.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:29:44 AM »

A pretty amazing accomplishment for someone who served only 2 terms in the House.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »

On of the most interesting members of Congress from the 20th century.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »

Has the additional distinction of voting against both world wars.

Which makes a FF for the first and a HP for the second.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »

I've always been fascinated at how the "wild" west produced radical and suffrage/women-friendly environments prior to the maturation of established politics.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:34:12 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2015, 02:15:44 PM by vivaportugalhabs »

FF. Not only the first woman to shatter the glass ceiling of congressional election, but also anti-war. I don't agree with her on voting no to enter WWII, but hey, she was progressive in other areas so it makes up for that.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:10 AM »

FF, aside from her WWII vote.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »

FF. Not only the first woman to shatter the glass ceiling of congressional election, but also anti-war. I don't agree with her on voting no to enter WWII, but hey, she was progressive in other areas so it makes up for that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »

I understand the reasoning behind her vote on WWII even if I disagree with it. Mass FF!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »

I've always been fascinated at how the "wild" west produced radical and suffrage/women-friendly environments prior to the maturation of established politics.

Well the West was literally an area of the country that killed you if everyone didn't cooperate, so I guess it kind of makes sense that people would feel more tied to collective politics there than they might back east
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »

Well the West was literally an area of the country that killed you if everyone didn't cooperate, so I guess it kind of makes sense that people would feel more tied to collective politics there than they might back east

Interestingly enough, Utah elected Martha Hughes Cannon, the first female state senator in the united states, after beating her husband (of whom she was a polygamist wife), and the leader of the LDS women's organization. I think the best part was the newspaper telling the husband to go back home and take care of the house.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »

Interestingly enough, Utah elected Martha Hughes Cannon, the first female state senator in the united states, after beating her husband (of whom she was a polygamist wife), and the leader of the LDS women's organization. I think the best part was the newspaper telling the husband to go back home and take care of the house.

It seems like a lot of early LDS converts were Welsh and English immigrants. Did they really aggressively proselytize in these communities or something? Mormons are such a homogenous bunch - virtually all of English/Welsh descent - and look radically different even from 19th century American demographics (virtually no German-American Mormons, for example).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 02:23:33 PM »

It seems like a lot of early LDS converts were Welsh and English immigrants. Did they really aggressively proselytize in these communities or something? Mormons are such a homogenous bunch - virtually all of English/Welsh descent - and look radically different even from 19th century American demographics (virtually no German-American Mormons, for example).

Correct. Actually, the oldest existing Church that still stands is in the UK.

But homogenous? With all the Samoans and Tongans and other Polynesians I dispute that claim.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »

Correct. Actually, the oldest existing Church that still stands is in the UK.

But homogenous? With all the Samoans and Tongans and other Polynesians I dispute that claim.

I mean homogenous in the United States. Compare the demographics of LDS Americans to the demographics of all Americans - it's night and day. Compare the demographics of American Catholics to all Americans - a much broader mix more reflective of the country as a whole (Germans, Irish, Italians, more recent Hispanic/developing world immigrants). Why is that? You'd think a religion that places such an emphasis on converting people would have done a better job in their own country.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2015, 08:42:03 PM by Zioneer »

Well, the fact that many American Mormons are English/Welsh really comes from the fact that the early LDS missionaries were quite successful (literally converting thousands of people in a couple of decades), and those same converts were asked to go back and convert more English/Welsh folks, before settling in Utah.

Plus, most European governments weren't fond of yet another Protestant-seeming sect running around in their nations, especially when polygamy was publicly announced. We got a lot of converts in England/Wales before polygamy was widely known, and the momentum just carried on to Utah.

And it's interesting that you say that there's no German-American Mormons; that was true then, but now... not so much. Lots of growth in Germany after WW2. Though during WW2 there were both LDS Nazi collaborators and anti-Nazi rebels (Helmuth Hubener being the most famous of the rebels).

Oh, and early LDS missionaries were also successful in bringing Scandinavian converts to Utah, especially Danish-Americans. There's a lot of Jensens and such in Utah.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »

FF (normal).
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »

One of the greatest members of Congress of all time
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »

HP.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 02:09:08 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »

No, it really doesn't.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 10:01:58 PM »

No, it really doesn't.

Well, her vote against entering WWII didn't matter in the end, and clearly never would have mattered, since the rest of Congress voted to enter it, so I don't see the problem.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies