Opinion of cheerleaders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:52:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of cheerleaders
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of cheerleaders
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Opinion of cheerleaders  (Read 2927 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 02:30:05 PM »

Patriot cheerleaders and Cowboy cheerleaders are the best!!!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »

I can't vote one way or the other on this one.  I always enjoyed rooting AGAINST my high school but at the same time I, therefore, wanted the other school to have cheerleaders so they would win.  It's whatever.  This isn't important.  Slight lean towards FF for it's effect on forced sexual repression. 

I know I'll get prude shouted at me for this, but honestly I view cheerleading as an outcome of the sexual repression in US society. If you had a more healthy attitude towards sex in general (you being American society) I don't think you would come up with the idea of watching underage girls do sexy dancing before high school sports games.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »

I can't vote one way or the other on this one.  I always enjoyed rooting AGAINST my high school but at the same time I, therefore, wanted the other school to have cheerleaders so they would win.  It's whatever.  This isn't important.  Slight lean towards FF for it's effect on forced sexual repression. 

I know I'll get prude shouted at me for this, but honestly I view cheerleading as an outcome of the sexual repression in US society. If you had a more healthy attitude towards sex in general (you being American society) I don't think you would come up with the idea of watching underage girls do sexy dancing before high school sports games.

It's not only high school.  They have the professional ones and whatnot.  And America is never going to cease its prudery, nor will it ever have an overall healthy attitude towards sex... yet their prudery is only eclipsed by their collective penchant for Americana and nostalgia.  We'll get up in arms about anything, but we'll never get rid of the cheerleaders.  So, IMO, anytime we can get sexy girls dancing on the screen on Sunday afternoon right after church I'll consider it a good thing. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »

FF. An integral part of the atmosphere of sports. They also go through drills, auditions, practices, etc.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »

They were stuck up bitches in the late 70s
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »

My opinion is different depending on their gender. Thank you.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »

FF. An integral part of the atmosphere of sports. They also go through drills, auditions, practices, etc.

Only really necessary in American sport, where the fans aren't allowed to make noise or be expressive on their own.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 04:33:59 PM »

Only really necessary in American sport, where the fans aren't allowed to make noise or be expressive on their own.

What?  I need to take you to a Rangers game.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »

Gymnastics is a great activity, and rallying school spirit before big games is a positive. A good cheer team contributes greatly to a school's atmosphere and is something that should be celebrated.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 04:55:37 PM »

American sports
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 06:15:13 PM »

Uh it's hardly just high school teams that have cheerleaders.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »

They were stuck up bitches in the late 70s

Still are
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »

The New York Football Giants are too classy and old-school to have cheerleaders.  They might in fact be the only NFL team for which this is true; unsure about the Steelers.

I feel kinda bad about it, but think I'm contractually obligated to go HP on this one.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »

The New York Football Giants are too classy and old-school to have cheerleaders.  They might in fact be the only NFL team for which this is true; unsure about the Steelers.

There are seven NFL teams without cheerleaders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Cheerleading#Teams_without_cheerleaders
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »

I don't see the problem.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 11:58:54 PM »

They give you something to enjoy watching if you don't care about the sport being played. And I don't mean that in a creepy way, either. A good routine is physically demanding and a fun spectacle. Most of the chants I heard when I was in high school were boring, though.  And they almost never got the crowd excited.

Cheerleaders themselves are just normal people,  of course. I hung out with them in high school a lot incidentally and they were not snobs or mean or ditzy. They did have a fascination with being able to call themselves a "cheerleader" like a badge of honor, but eh.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 04:08:35 AM »

I don't see the problem.

Of course you wouldn't.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 04:09:07 AM »

Uh it's hardly just high school teams that have cheerleaders.

So?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 05:46:17 AM »

20 years from now you'll see their fat gut and cottage cheese legs an laugh.  Smiley
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 09:33:24 AM »

Junk poll like all these archetypes are.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 10:15:56 AM »

I mean, this view that cheerleading is a hot body contest for the boys who might get bored with the game is really, really divorced from reality. Cheerleaders are performing gymnastics and highly synchronized dance moves. Hours and hours of practice are involved.

And hey, plenty of jocks were "stuck up" too.

The New York Football Giants are too classy and old-school to have cheerleaders.

Actually, the Maras, Rooneys, and especially the McCaskeys are too cheap to have them, IMO.

Ha, maybe some sarcasm there. A Steelers game can also be a deafening experience in person, but very exciting.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »

20 years from now you'll see their fat gut and cottage cheese legs an laugh.  Smiley
Well really now?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 10:47:09 AM »

Or a sports game of any kind.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies