WV: Manchin to stay in Senate, not run for gov.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:08:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV: Manchin to stay in Senate, not run for gov.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WV: Manchin to stay in Senate, not run for gov.  (Read 4134 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »

Does this not put the WV governor race in 2016 to be lean R ?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 12:11:43 PM »

Probably safe R.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »

I can imagine it was also due to some persuasion by Harry. Wouldn't want to lose a seat that has been in Democratic hands since before most of us were born, now would you?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 05:38:53 AM »

I don't know what we would do without Joe Manchin in the Senate urging the party to the right.

This is such an idiotic statement and is entirely representative of how how some democrats think their senate majority is going to appear through ignoring huge swaths of the country. Anyway, this statement isn't even right because it depends on the issue whether or not Manchin is "urging the party to the right":

He supports expanding Social Security, allying with Elizabeth Warren in the process.

He opposes "free trade" agreements.

You'll be surprised by many of these issue groups ratings, including 100% by NARAL in 2011, and 58% by the League of Conservation Voters. He has also been ranked consistently high among labor unions.

There's also, you know, the whole Manchin-Toomey thing in which he did more to promote sensible gun control than any of the democratic politicians that you probably like.

Anyway, it just makes me mad how underrated Manchin is by many on the left. Democrats should all be incredibly appreciative that he is helping us achieve the majority again.

This, I don't get all the Manchin hate around here.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

He's definitely the best West Virginia can do for Democrats at this point in time. Denying that is just stupid.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 06:10:30 PM »

I don't know what we would do without Joe Manchin in the Senate urging the party to the right.

This is such an idiotic statement and is entirely representative of how how some democrats think their senate majority is going to appear through ignoring huge swaths of the country. Anyway, this statement isn't even right because it depends on the issue whether or not Manchin is "urging the party to the right":

He supports expanding Social Security, allying with Elizabeth Warren in the process.

You'll be surprised by many of these issue groups ratings, including 100% by NARAL in 2011, and 58% by the League of Conservation Voters. He has also been ranked consistently high among labor unions.

There's also, you know, the whole Manchin-Toomey thing in which he did more to promote sensible gun control than any of the democratic politicians that you probably like.

Anyway, it just makes me mad how underrated Manchin is by many on the left. Democrats should all be incredibly appreciative that he is helping us achieve the majority again.

And yet, he's objectively to the right of Hillary who is constantly bashed here as a right wing neoliberal...
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »

And yet, he's objectively to the right of Hillary who is constantly bashed here as a right wing neoliberal...

Post about something else.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 07:59:04 PM »

Manchin's not running for President, he is running for Senate in West Virginia.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »

I'm aware. I just find it amusing that this site loves to fawn over people like Manchin, Rahall, Barrow, Murphy, Strickland (the latter two of which are running in states you probably need to win to win the presidency), yet consider Hillary Clinton, who is to the left of all of them, a right winger.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »

I'm aware. I just find it amusing that this site loves to fawn over people like Manchin, Rahall, Barrow, Murphy, Strickland (the latter two of which are running in states you probably need to win to win the presidency), yet consider Hillary Clinton, who is to the left of all of them, a right winger.

Hillary does NOT need to win Florida to win the Presidency. You give her all the Obama states minus  FL and CO (she can't win CO), and she's still at 294 electoral votes. Taking away Iowa still leaves her with 288. Heck, at this point you can take away Ohio and she's still at the bare minimum 270. This is why the republicans need VA, WI, NH, or PA.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »

Hillary does NOT need to win Florida to win the Presidency. You give her all the Obama states minus  FL and CO (she can't win CO), and she's still at 294 electoral votes. Taking away Iowa still leaves her with 288. Heck, at this point you can take away Ohio and she's still at the bare minimum 270. This is why the republicans need VA, WI, NH, or PA.

Thus why I said "probably." Any Democrat is going to contest both OH and FL and would be in great danger if they lost both of them. If Strickland and Murphy are "liberal enough" for these states, then Hillary certainly is as well.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »

- No one here has heaped praise on Rahall.  I doubt most here even like him, I know I don't Tongue

- Barrow was cool because he kept winning seemingly unwinnable races is heavily gerrymandered blood-red districts and consistently had some of the best political ads in the country.

- Most folks here seem to hate Manchin, but I like him because he's way more liberal than we have any right to expect a West Virginia Senator to be, plus he took a really politically risky stand on an issue that is very important to me (gun control).

- Patrick Murphy is literally the only FL Democrat interested in running who can win that seat and is such an excellent candidate that he gets significant leeway on the issues.  He is the most liberal candidate who can win.  You can bet he's well to the left of any of the Republicans.  Incidentally, I've said for a while that I expect Hillary to overperform generic D in much of the state (one exception being the panhandle).

- Strickland is pretty liberal by any objective definition.  That's simply a fact.  Are there a few issues where he's decidedly to the right of Hillary (ex: clean energy)?  Sure.  But he's generally pretty liberal, he's an A-list candidate, and whether you agree with his views or not, he really comes across as a good guy who is in politics for the right reasons (although you obviously never know for sure with these guys).  Hillary isn't the best fit for Ohio, stylistically or ideologically.  We're a very pro-union state that tends to like Democrats who run as economic populists who will take on corperate interests and fight for blue-collar Americans and the middle class.  Having one or two non-economic issues where the Dem is perceived as being a little a bit to the right of the national party is a definite plus in terms of electability, but not a requirement.  Additionally, a politician who is percieved as too ambitious, ruthless, unlikable, or just plain not nice then they're going to rub a lot of Ohioans the wrong way (especially outside the Cleveland media market).  Folks here wave good morning to their neighbors, place a high value on treating others respectfully, etc.  "Midwest nice" is very much a thing in Ohio (especially in places like Franklin County).  Ohio is not unwinnable for Hillary by any means and she probably isn't going to underperform here as much as she will in Colorado or Iowa, but she's not a great fit either.  No matter what the results are, unless the Republican nominee completely implodes, Strickland will probably run ahead of Hillary.

TL;DR: No one has really done anything that could be considered "fawning" over any of those candidates, so please stop straw-manning.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 03:32:25 AM »

- No one here has heaped praise on Rahall.  I doubt most here even like him, I know I don't Tongue

- Barrow was cool because he kept winning seemingly unwinnable races is heavily gerrymandered blood-red districts and consistently had some of the best political ads in the country.

- Most folks here seem to hate Manchin, but I like him because he's way more liberal than we have any right to expect a West Virginia Senator to be, plus he took a really politically risky stand on an issue that is very important to me (gun control).

- Patrick Murphy is literally the only FL Democrat interested in running who can win that seat and is such an excellent candidate that he gets significant leeway on the issues.  He is the most liberal candidate who can win.  You can bet he's well to the left of any of the Republicans.  Incidentally, I've said for a while that I expect Hillary to overperform generic D in much of the state (one exception being the panhandle).

- Strickland is pretty liberal by any objective definition.  That's simply a fact.  Are there a few issues where he's decidedly to the right of Hillary (ex: clean energy)?  Sure.  But he's generally pretty liberal, he's an A-list candidate, and whether you agree with his views or not, he really comes across as a good guy who is in politics for the right reasons (although you obviously never know for sure with these guys).  Hillary isn't the best fit for Ohio, stylistically or ideologically.  We're a very pro-union state that tends to like Democrats who run as economic populists who will take on corperate interests and fight for blue-collar Americans and the middle class.  Having one or two non-economic issues where the Dem is perceived as being a little a bit to the right of the national party is a definite plus in terms of electability, but not a requirement.  Additionally, a politician who is percieved as too ambitious, ruthless, unlikable, or just plain not nice then they're going to rub a lot of Ohioans the wrong way (especially outside the Cleveland media market).  Folks here wave good morning to their neighbors, place a high value on treating others respectfully, etc.  "Midwest nice" is very much a thing in Ohio (especially in places like Franklin County).  Ohio is not unwinnable for Hillary by any means and she probably isn't going to underperform here as much as she will in Colorado or Iowa, but she's not a great fit either.  No matter what the results are, unless the Republican nominee completely implodes, Strickland will probably run ahead of Hillary.

TL;DR: No one has really done anything that could be considered "fawning" over any of those candidates, so please stop straw-manning.

I recall Rahall getting a lot of praise and a strong FF vote in the "opinion of" thread concerning him. Yeah there are some people who hate Manchin for being too conservative, but I'm fairly sure the majority likes him.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with everything you said (with the exception of Hillary being a weak candidate in Ohio, she's always been strong in the Midwest.) You don't need to convince me to support these guys, I already do. I just think it's interesting how the cutting off the nose to spite the face philosophy gets trotted out a LOT more with Hillary Clinton than any other candidate, even those that are legitimately conservative/center-right.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 11:55:20 AM »

I recall Rahall getting a lot of praise and a strong FF vote in the "opinion of" thread concerning him. Yeah there are some people who hate Manchin for being too conservative, but I'm fairly sure the majority likes him.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with everything you said (with the exception of Hillary being a weak candidate in Ohio, she's always been strong in the Midwest.) You don't need to convince me to support these guys, I already do. I just think it's interesting how the cutting off the nose to spite the face philosophy gets trotted out a LOT more with Hillary Clinton than any other candidate, even those that are legitimately conservative/center-right.

I thought I was literally the only person on the forum who likes Manchin Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »

Wasn't Carte Goodwin second to Bernie Sanders as the most liberal Senator during his brief tenure? I can see him running again and winning.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »

Wasn't Carte Goodwin second to Bernie Sanders as the most liberal Senator during his brief tenure? I can see him running again and winning.

Don't you mean can't? Because no non-Manchin can win a Senate seat in West Virginia at this point in time.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »

Don't you mean can't? Because no non-Manchin can win a Senate seat in West Virginia at this point in time.
I should have specified that I can see him returning to elected office, but not necessarily a major office like Senator or Governor.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 09:29:59 PM »

Keep in mind that Manchin is not invincible. In fact, if Hillary Clinton is terribly unpopular, WV should be among the Republican prime targets. Why? Because of its Republican trend, its demographics (no big minority turnout the Democrats could count on) and the fact that the GOP could put up a credible candidate who emphasizes some of Manchin's liberal positions (for example on abortion). If John Raese of all people can get 43% of the vote in a great Republican year, then a REAL Republican candidate can win.

Yes, if Jenkins, McKinley, or Morrisey decided to challenge Manchin, they'd have a shot. But Manchin would still be definitively favored, and in the end they'd probably decide they wouldn't want to run against him. Typically, races that start at Likely D (as Manchin vs. (insert good republican here) would) stay in the democratic column.

But, once Manchin stops running for political office, the WV dems will go the way of OK/KS dems - get a miracle in a governor's race every once in a while, but lose everything else.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2015, 04:25:54 AM »

Keep in mind that Manchin is not invincible. In fact, if Hillary Clinton is terribly unpopular, WV should be among the Republican prime targets. Why? Because of its Republican trend, its demographics (no big minority turnout the Democrats could count on) and the fact that the GOP could put up a credible candidate who emphasizes some of Manchin's liberal positions (for example on abortion). If John Raese of all people can get 43% of the vote in a great Republican year, then a REAL Republican candidate can win.

Yes, if Jenkins, McKinley, or Morrisey decided to challenge Manchin, they'd have a shot. But Manchin would still be definitively favored, and in the end they'd probably decide they wouldn't want to run against him. Typically, races that start at Likely D (as Manchin vs. (insert good republican here) would) stay in the democratic column.

But, once Manchin stops running for political office, the WV dems will go the way of OK/KS dems - get a miracle in a governor's race every once in a while, but lose everything else.

It's weird how both chambers of the WV legislature went Republican, but the lower house in KY is still Democratic.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2015, 05:46:16 AM »

Manchin will most likely lose. A senator with approval ratings barely above water in one of the most solidly Republican states in the country  is not 'Likley D'
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »

Manchin will most likely lose. A senator with approval ratings barely above water in one of the most solidly Republican states in the country  is not 'Likley D'
Source? Harper had him up by big margins in the poll for Governor, despite other Democrats trailing prospective Republicans.

Also I'd dispute that WV is "one of the most solidly Republican states in the country". Yes it is trending R hard and voted against Obama strongly, but there's still enough elasticity there IMO to help Manchin in 2018. Of course it's a wait and see matter, but still....
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »

I don't think Manchin would be a favorite for re-election in 2018...but he made the right decision anyways. He would have been an even worse underdog in a Governors race, whereas as an incumbent he stands at least a 40% chance of survival, if/when he runs for re-election, especially since the GOP doesn't appear to have anyone besides Moore Capito (and they already elected her Senator) on their bench.

And his chances of re-election are probably even with Heidi Heitkamp (who's drawing more attention), and better than Joe Donnelly, Claire McCaskill, and Bob Menendez (though Democrats would hold that seat unless Menendez avoids a primary).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies