Rubio:"People are born gay. Gay marriage not a right, but I'd attend if invited"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:08:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rubio:"People are born gay. Gay marriage not a right, but I'd attend if invited"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rubio:"People are born gay. Gay marriage not a right, but I'd attend if invited"  (Read 2830 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marco-rubio-sexual-preference-something-people-born-with/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How brave.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »

He's just riding the wave.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »

Rubio is such a moderate hero.

"You know, why don't we all come together and compromise? Acknowledge gays are human beings while still denying them rights and privileges? A common sense solution everyone can agree to!"
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »

His position makes no sense. He's basically saying: "I'm not against gay marriage but gays shouldn't be able to get married. Gay people don't choose to be gay but the Constitution doesn't give them the right to be married."

He's trying to straddle the fence and please moderates and the conservative base. Rubio is gonna wilt under the pressures of a national campaign just like he did when he backed out of his own Immigration deal.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »

He feels stung after Kasie Hunt and then Jake Tapper called him the "candidate of yesterday" on this issue. He's also a fan of Pitbull and Nicki Minaj.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 04:10:36 PM »

I'd like to believe this means he won't be going anywhere in the primary seeing as Scott Walker - the great appeaser with no ideology - had a more cohesive answer including the fact that he has attended one. I'm confident a President Walker would come out in support for before re-election. Rubio would need much more political pressure to do the right thing which says a lot considering who he's getting compared to.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »

I have more respect for someone who says its a choice. at least they can justify discriminating against gays because they shouldn't get extra rights for a 'lifestyle'. Rubio is saying "born gay sorry but you are just not as much of a citizen as the normal people".  This isn't middle of the road it is absurd.

As for Walker he actually said he went to a gay reception but not the actual wedding. Again what kind of bizarre calculus is that supposed to be?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 05:01:50 PM »

Rubio is such a moderate hero.

"You know, why don't we all come together and compromise? Acknowledge gays are human beings while still denying them rights and privileges? A common sense solution everyone can agree to!"

And don't forget, "And even if they do somehow get their states to grant them rights and privileges, we need to make sure everyone knows how disappointed we are in their decision to exercise those rights, even though being gay isn't a decision."
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »

As for Walker he actually said he went to a gay reception but not the actual wedding. Again what kind of bizarre calculus is that supposed to be?

Ha, you're right! I didn't give it second thought because I just associated it with general busyness, but there was probably some odd insinuation in there meant to appeal to the morals of the actual event that I don't understand. Still somehow better than Rubio's nonsense.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »

I'd like to believe this means he won't be going anywhere in the primary seeing as Scott Walker - the great appeaser with no ideology - had a more cohesive answer including the fact that he has attended one. I'm confident a President Walker would come out in support for before re-election. Rubio would need much more political pressure to do the right thing which says a lot considering who he's getting compared to.

What about Scott Walker makes you think he's pro same-sex marriage?

He was pretty virulently anti-gay marriage before,  supporting a constitutional amendment to ban it and even trying to ban same-sex couples from visiting each other in the hospital. 

All credit to Republicans that support same-sex marriage, but let's not grade on a curve.  It's illogical to oppose same-sex marriage if you think being gay is an immutable characteristic and there's nothing morally wrong or shameful about it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 11:07:13 PM »

I have more respect for someone who says its a choice. at least they can justify discriminating against gays because they shouldn't get extra rights for a 'lifestyle'. Rubio is saying "born gay sorry but you are just not as much of a citizen as the normal people".  This isn't middle of the road it is absurd.

The exact same kind of calculus that led to Clinton's "I didn't inhale".
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »

Moderate hero at a time when the country is decidedly majority on one end.

A smarter move than the other GOP clowns, though.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 01:22:39 AM »

In all fairness for a crazy tea partier this is a moderate view. I'll give him praise for not being as bad as Cruz.

I don't understand why he doesn't think the courts have a right to do this. The roberts court, on the whole has been extremely aggressive overturning the decisions of congress/executive.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 01:37:32 AM »

In all fairness for a crazy tea partier this is a moderate view. I'll give him praise for not being as bad as Cruz.

I agree. As silly as it sounds, it's a lot better than pretty much everything else I've heard from the potential Republican candidates.

I give him credit for saying that orientation isn't a choice and that he would go to a gay wedding. The "legal" part of what he said is just rather bizarre though.

The "I didn't inhale" analogy is a pretty good one. Rubio doesn't want to alienate too many, but recognizes an issue with his position and that of his base.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 02:57:13 AM »

His "position" deconstructs itself. He says being gay isn't a choice but marrying a gay person is a choice. Like most Republicans who see the writing on the wall, he's just kicking the can down the road until SCOTUS nationalizes it, then he can say, "Well, we tried. Now it's time to move on." Coward.

Furthermore, what gay person would want Marco Rubio at his or her wedding?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 10:26:24 AM »

What a shitty person.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »

The rivers are full of fish. Our future lies ahead.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »

This issue will be irrelevant in a few months.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 04:06:51 PM »

This issue will be irrelevant in a few months.

But... But... Muh constitutional amendment!!

I'm sure that there would be some push for the 28th to be an anti-gay-marriage amendment. Not that it would succeed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 04:11:59 PM »

If I get elected POTUS, I will get married to my partner in the White House. We will be photographed kissing. I think I might invite Cruz and some of the other enemies of all things gay to it just for kicks. Thank you.
DS0816
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 04:15:03 PM »

There isn't one Republican politician running for the 2016 presidential election who is a friend to the LGBT community and worthy of their trust.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 07:13:10 PM by CountryClassSF »

He is going after a constituency that, as can be seen from the kind and tolerant posts above, will never vote for him under any circumstances.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies