Northeast results calculation (CJO RPryor, please read)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 10:57:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast results calculation (CJO RPryor, please read)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Northeast results calculation (CJO RPryor, please read)  (Read 2256 times)
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »

Quota = (Number of votes cast/Number of seats to fill) + 1

(23/6) + 1 = 3,83 + 1 = 4,83

Clyde = 4
Cynic = 4
Castro = 3
Pikachu = 3
Altsomn = 5
Dkrolga = 4

Number of candidates who reach or surpasses the quota: 1
Altsomn has exceeded the quota and is elected. If there are seats remaining to be filled, the surplus will now be reallocated.

Clyde = 4
Cynic = 4
Castro = 3,03
Pikachu = 3
Altsomn = 4,83
Dkrolga = 4,1

Number of candidates who reach or surpasses the quota: 0
Pikachu is eliminated.

The elected candidates should be (Altsomn) (Clyde) (Cynic) (Castro) (Dkrolga).
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:00:34 PM »

Odd. I usually use this for the calculator - maybe try it doing that?

Not quite sure how you're allocating the votes to everyone, or you're figuring out how much to allocate.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 10:51:35 PM by RG 'Loose Stoolz' Griff »

I did try Paul Lockett, until I realized that I specified 24 votes (because of the certification). Angry I've also been told that PL may not be the accurate way of counting votes for our NE system, so who's to say?

I've always been bad with surpluses, but isn't it a simple case of dividing the surplus among the candidate's [1] prefs? If so (two scenarios, because I'm not sure how an exhausted ballot - Deus' - works), then we shouldn't really need a calculator to do this:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, JoMCaR, surplus always rounds down to a whole number AFAIK
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »

From what I understand of the election rules for assembly elections, the Paul Lockett calculator is incorrect in totaling the values. Given the confusion in this calculation, I will respect whatever decision will be made regarding the officiality of the vote, be it a win or loss for me.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »

I used to rely on Paul Lockett's calculator until I read about how STV really works and realized that the calculator was worthless. It seems CJO RPryor used it and well, as I said...

I hope someone else can help on this.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:36:40 PM »

I incorrectly told Castro via PM the results were correct because I plugged them into the calculator, but apparently the whole thing is messed up so I did it by hand here.

There were 23 votes for 6 seats, so the quota is 4 votes.

Clyde (4)
Cynic (4)
JoMCar (5)
Castro (3)
Pikachu (3)
DKrolga (4)

So Clyde, Cynic, and Dkrolga are elected without surplus, while JoMCar is elected with a surplus.

So this is what happens in the tiebreaker between Castro and Pikachu-

Castro- 3.4 (+Peeperkorn, JoMCaR)
Pikachu- 3.4 (+Pessimistic Antineutrino, Winfield)
Exhausted- 0.2 (+Deus)

So it's a tie. Looks like the Lockett Calculator was FAR OFF.

That means a runoff as far as I know.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:37:52 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 10:57:01 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Yeah, I think it's time to trash Lockett.

Anyways, Talleyrand and I put our heads together right now to try and figure this ish out. According to this, ties are broken by 2nd preferences. Pikachu has 1, Castro has 1, so it descends into an analysis of 3rd preferences. Pikachu has 9, Castro has 6.

I'm declaring pikachu elected. Sorry for the mistake - I thought it was kosher and linked it to rpryor in the first place.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »

Aw hell, I counted JoMCaR's flow to DKrolga by accident instead of JoMCaR's flow to Pikachu (and apparently missed one of Castro's?). This is why we can't have nice things, and why I don't do counts. Sad Otherwise, I was right! Tongue
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:35 PM »

Scratch the runoff.

According to the Proportional Representation Act (link below), we'll need to count first preferences to break the tie, and go successively to each level of lower preferences if there still exists a tie.

In the first round, both Pikachu and Castro are tied with three votes. On to second preferences.

In the second round, both Pikachu and Castro are tied with one vote. On to third preferences.

In the third round, Pikachu edges out Castro with nine votes to six. Pikachu wins.

So technically the certified winners are correct. The good thing to come out of this is that we've identified a serious flaw that we've had for many months now under multiple people (myself included) in counting these votes. Now we can avoid that in future races.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:46 PM »

^Uh, the link? Tongue
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:13 PM »

It's in my explanation.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 11:09:25 PM by Citizen Castro »

I think the tie-breaking method refers to when you need to rank candidates after the distribution of the surplus votes and there is a still a tie. However, the only initial surplus given directly to either me or Pikachu came from a vote by peeperkorn that ranked Altsomn first and me second. The weight of this 2nd preference surplus vote value given to me is much greater than any 3rd preference overflow surplus value given to either me or Pikachu, as per the election administrator guidebook.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 11:10:33 PM »

I believe that it is clear, based on current legal standing, that Lt. Gov. Pikachu has been re-elected.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:21:07 PM »

I think the tie-breaking method refers to when you need to rank candidates after the distribution of the surplus votes and there is a still a tie. However, the only initial surplus given directly to either me or Pikachu came from a vote by peeperkorn that ranked Altsomn first and me second. The weight of this 2nd preference surplus vote value given to me is much greater than any 3rd preference overflow surplus value given to either me or Pikachu, as per the election administrator guidebook.

Since DKRol won without a surplus in the first round, we basically treat those third preferences from JoMCar's voters that flow to either you or Pikachu the same way as we would the vote from Peeperkorn that ranked you second. Basically, once you reach this sort of point in the count, you ignore preferences for candidates already eliminated or elected and observe the relative rankings for those still in contention only.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:25:35 PM »

Another way to interpret it is that it goes by a Condorcet count - that is, a count of which voters prefer you over Pikachu. It's pretty ambiguous, not gonna lie.

And even then, Pikachu wins, 10-8.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »

Yeah, it's definitely quite unclear.

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:35:24 PM »

Alright well in the interest of not stretching this any further, I concede any further challenge to this election and congratulate Pikachu on his reelection. I also request that legislation be pursued to clear up and simplify the election process. Thank you everyone for your help in this complicated process.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 11:46:06 PM »

Alright well in the interest of not stretching this any further, I concede any further challenge to this election and congratulate Pikachu on his reelection. I also request that legislation be pursued to clear up and simplify the election process. Thank you everyone for your help in this complicated process.

I have full faith that Talleyrand will help fix this problem.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 01:17:11 AM »

These kinds of things make me think that we really should have a less complicated way of doing these things.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 02:08:39 AM »

These kinds of things make me think that we really should have a less complicated way of doing these things.

FPTP w/ tiebreakers done by Madam Griffin's House of Duels 'n' Fools' People's Virtual Coin Toss system
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 10:50:38 AM »

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll talk with Sawx and Talley about fixing this project.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »

So, who won? Tongue
pikachu
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »

I've been really busy over the last week so I've missed most of this, but I'd like to thank Castro in being really civil about this. Maybe we should codify what calculator we want to use into law?
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »

I'd like to ask an assemblyman to propose the following amendment to our Constitution.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »

I'd like to ask an assemblyman to propose the following amendment to our Constitution.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies