Serious Question about Clinton's SoS accomplishments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:43:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Serious Question about Clinton's SoS accomplishments
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Serious Question about Clinton's SoS accomplishments  (Read 751 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:08 AM »

What are they? If you had to give a nut-shell, 30-second pitch for what she's accomplished as SoS that justifies being elected to the Presidency, what would it be?
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:38:34 AM »

She wore sunglasses inside and watched something in the war room.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:22:15 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2015, 10:00:03 AM by bedstuy »

The marquee accomplishment was rallying support in the US and internationally to help oust Gaddafi at a minimal cost to the US.  I would also add the diplomatic end of the removal of US troops from Iraq and Afghanistan as a feather in her cap.  But, it's silly to expect that every SoS is going to have negotiated a big treaty or whatever.   

Most of her role was to repair the damage to our international reputation and clean up the mess left by the Bush administration.  On top of that, just weathering the Arab Spring situation was no small feat.  That may not be glamorous, but it was the role of whomever was SoS in 2009-2013.  I think the consensus is that she did that job very well and she is the most qualified candidate on foreign policy in modern political history.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »

I'd say bedstuy gave the 30-second pitch, but there's also a world of difference between weathering the Arab Spring and sitting around wearing sunglasses. Day to day things, such as her getting Chen Guangchen out of China without a diplomatic incident, initiating the Quadrennial Diplomacy and Development Review, raising the profile of the doctrine of "smart power", vamping up the State Department's social media strategy, and her environmental cookstove initiative represent more of the bread and butter of a Secretary of State's work that don't get the headlines. The last one I expect will end up saving thousands of lives.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »

I assume that she played an important role to the crafting and passing of the arms treaty with Russia.
Angel of Death
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 11:12:18 AM »

Expressing glee over Gaddafi's lynching.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »

Bedstuy and Beet are correct. It's quite adorable Republicans believe that just because she wasn't responsible for completely upending world affairs in some manner that she had "no accomplishments." It just shows how uninformed they are.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:37:18 PM »

Bedstuy and Beet are correct. It's quite adorable Republicans believe that just because she wasn't responsible for completely upending world affairs in some manner that she had "no accomplishments." It just shows how uninformed they are.

Absolutely this.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 12:37:41 AM »

What are they? If you had to give a nut-shell, 30-second pitch for what she's accomplished as SoS that justifies being elected to the Presidency, what would it be?

I've been thinking about this question, which I think is a good one and the best answer I can come up with for the Hillary campaign is: things didn't fall apart on her watch.

I definitely think there's an argument to be made that she laid the groundwork for a lot of the disasters we're seeing now, but she'd already left before the Ukraine Crisis happened, before Libya completely fell apart, before the military coup in Egypt, and before ISIS went on their rampage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies