Brooklyn's population growth question (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:55:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Brooklyn's population growth question (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brooklyn's population growth question  (Read 2451 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: April 21, 2015, 03:40:34 PM »

I was amazed to learn that Brooklyn is growing in population since 2010 at a quite rapid pace - at the present rate it will grow by over 11% in population, above the national average I believe. Does anyone know (at least anecdotally) where in Brooklyn the nodes of rapid growth are? Is it on the waterfront facing Manhattan mostly, from Sunset Park up through Greenpoint?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »

Hipsters reproduce asexually when exposed to 90s indie tracks.  Check Williamsburg.

Is this true BRTD? Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »

FC threads certainly have a life of their own don't they? I mean, who could have imagined where this thread would go? Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2015, 05:57:58 PM by Torie »

Brooklyn Heights property is soaring too due to the same phenomenon. It's all along there.

I'd also zero in on East New York. No reason for that to have slowed from the last decade.

Below are the projected population percentages changes, if growth rates continue at the same rate for the balance of the decade. The rest of the counties overall in NY are actually losing a bit of population. When it comes to NY, NYC is where it is at - now more than ever.  

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »

Brooklyn Heights property is soaring too due to the same phenomenon. It's all along there.

I'd also zero in on East New York. No reason for that to have slowed from the last decade.

Below are the projected population percentages changes, if growth rates continue at the same rate for the balance of the decade. The rest of the counties overall in NY are actually losing a bit of population. When it comes to NY, NYC is where it is at - now more than ever.  

Just to clarify - I meant East New York, the area of Brooklyn, since your response seems to imply something else. That's almost certainly should be near the top. Easy to forget on the other side of the borough when the prosperity is near Manhattan.

That is a hood, or just the east side of Brooklyn? The east side of Brooklyn per the 2010 census was mostly black.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »

Torie, why not drop this turd on muon2's board instead of here?

Because I wanted it to be noticed, because I was soliciting help, which I have received. Thanks guys - all quite fascinating. I appreciate it. One purpose for the FC is for "help me" threads. But if you don't like it, Grumps, report it.  You need to find a new hobby around here, other than Gully, Bushie, and Torie bashing, perhaps. Just a thought. Yes, I know what you will do with that little suggestion of mine.  I love you too. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:57:01 AM »

Following up on LVP's point, no borough has gained population from domestic migration over the past five years. By the same measure, the Census estimate for Brooklyn (-92k) only lags behind Manhattan (-487k).

Isn't that like 30% of Manhattan's population moving away and getting replaced? Seems incredibly high.

Young ambitious and/or dreamy kids move to the Big Apple after college or whatever, and then get hitched, can't cut it or afford it, or whatever, and move out? Hasn't that been happening since rocks cooled?  Anyway, it seems that half of the population of Hudson sometimes is from Manhattan (with Brooklyn now showing up on the radar screen).  I have yet to find anyone else from Orange County, CA living here however. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies