Brooklyn's population growth question (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:52:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Brooklyn's population growth question (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brooklyn's population growth question  (Read 2475 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: April 21, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »
« edited: April 21, 2015, 04:54:51 PM by SMilo »

Brooklyn Heights property is soaring too due to the same phenomenon. It's all along there.

I'd also zero in on East New York. No reason for that to have slowed from the last decade.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2015, 06:08:25 PM by SMilo »

Brooklyn Heights property is soaring too due to the same phenomenon. It's all along there.

I'd also zero in on East New York. No reason for that to have slowed from the last decade.

Below are the projected population percentages changes, if growth rates continue at the same rate for the balance of the decade. The rest of the counties overall in NY are actually losing a bit of population. When it comes to NY, NYC is where it is at - now more than ever.  

Just to clarify - I meant East New York, the area of Brooklyn, since your response seems to imply something else (unless you didn't mean to quote). That almost certainly should be near the top. Easy to forget on the other side of the borough when the prosperity is near Manhattan. It grew at double digits last decade. I don't see why it would change.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:50:44 PM »

This map also does not show any sort of Hasidic baby boom, which seems implausible...

See I understood the Asian boom in Bensonhurst but the Hasidic baby boom made less sense to me. I'm sure they're growing slightly, but they've had large families forever. The 12 kids in the last generation are being replaced by say 10 in this one. But it can't possibly be that they all remain in Brooklyn. That's just unsustainable without spreading out to other parts of Brooklyn which is near unthinkable since they stay as a community. A surprising amount may actually move to Lakewood - it may be anecdotal but I worked at a park last summer where they accounted for nearly all the guests. Conversed with a ton of them and it seemed to be that a lot had moved from Brooklyn (and oddly SI?). I expected a lot more to have been born and raised there.

I'd imagine many also go the other way to Long Island, but I'm not as familiar with the makeup of all the areas out there. I'd also wager some go to places around the world - UK, South Africa, surely many others from what I've seen.

So basically the large families are nothing new and there isn't any type of multiplication factor because it's not feasible. That's my theory. I know it's not grounded in numbers so if I have any history wrong the intuition would be rendered worthless.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies