Plurality now approves of Obamacare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:01:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Plurality now approves of Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plurality now approves of Obamacare  (Read 2747 times)
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »

...for the first since the Presidential election.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 04:15:13 PM »

Tax day was good to the American people.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »

Once they realized the downfall of America was gonna be gay wedding cakes they cooled on the whole Obamacare conspiracy thing.  I'll take it, I guess.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »

The American People are singing President Barack Obama's praises from the mountain tops, content in the security their new, affordable health insurance has provided them, and are now joining together in an unprecedented nationwide movement to give the man the third term he so obviously deserves.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »

This chart is exemplifies everything wrong with politics:

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:07:38 PM »

Yea, "No Impact" should really be 80-90% in all three categories.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »

True, unless you have kids and/or a pre-existing condition then you are almost sure to be in the 'helped' category.

But the worst thing is that there is a massive partisan divide in the 'hurt' category. I would love to see how those people said they were hurt. Sure some (very few) people come out losers, but there is no way that it is weighted by party to such a significant amount.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »

True, unless you have kids and/or a pre-existing condition then you are almost sure to be in the 'helped' category.

But the worst thing is that there is a massive partisan divide in the 'hurt' category. I would love to see how those people said they were hurt. Sure some (very few) people come out losers, but there is no way that it is weighted by party to such a significant amount.

Many people who already had generous employer-sponsored plans that exceeded the minimum Obamacare standards are finding that they now cover less with more cost sharing.  They are generally upper-middle class with white collar jobs and probably vote R outside of the Northeast and CA.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »

Many people who already had generous employer-sponsored plans that exceeded the minimum Obamacare standards are finding that they now cover less with more cost sharing.  They are generally upper-middle class with white collar jobs and probably vote R outside of the Northeast and CA.

yes I am aware of that but there is no way that adds up to 38% of Republicans. I suspect that most of that 38% think their taxes have been raised and/or Medicare benefits have been cut (both of which are untrue, unless they were on one of those 'Cadillac' plans). Just look at the chart over awareness of the costs of Obamacare, the ignorance goes up most with Republicans.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:03 PM »

yes I am aware of that but there is no way that adds up to 38% of Republicans. I suspect that most of that 38% think their taxes have been raised and/or Medicare benefits have been cut (both of which are untrue, unless they were on one of those 'Cadillac' plans). Just look at the chart over awareness of the costs of Obamacare, the ignorance goes up most with Republicans.
You don't think that $100K-500K managerial types are ~30% of Republicans nationally?  Clearly the lower end of that range votes Dem in some metro areas, but throw in small business owners who formerly had no role in their employees' healthcare and liked it that way and that should get you there.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 05:52:01 PM »

I am a perfectly healthy 27 year old female and my employer already offers insurance (no subsidy)—I have never opted into my employers health plan because I can not afford to. Since the ACA took effect...I still can't afford it, but am being forced to buy it anyhow for the benefit of private insurance companies the country. How have I benefited? How am I better off being forced to spend ~100$ a month I don't have for a product that I don't need (or even believe in ethically)? If anything, it's a big part of those 'helped me' Democrats who are deluding themselves—it's mostly healthy millenials who got the shaft.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »

We can't sacrifice the healthcare system so that a few Millennials can be irresponsible. Anyone with any basic understanding of healthcare policy understands that the insurance pool can only operate if there are enough young and healthy people subsidizing more elderly and ill. If you don't like it, well, no one cares.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2015, 06:14:59 PM by Likely Voter »

Of course Obamacare has some 'losers', notably those on Cadillac plans and young healthy people who dont want insurance or want those cheap crappy plans that got cancelled.  My point is that this doesn't add up to 22% of Americans and more notably it isn't heavily distributed to Republicans. There are just more Republicans that think they are being hurt. My bet is that this is mostly because of the misinformation in right wing media and especially the lie that Obamacare was cutting Medicare benefits (used extensively in the last three elections).

Again this chart shows that there is a high correlation between party and lack of knowledge on the law:
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 06:10:39 PM »

Or people are just reflexively saying it helped/hurt based on their party affiliation with no actual reason to justify it. Occam's Razor.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »

When you have nothing to brag about and no real achievements, you let everyone know that a plurality support your plans. Pathetic.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »

um... this thread is literally us bragging about Obama's achievements.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 09:12:44 PM »

And I'm pretty sure Obamacare is no longer in the "plans" stage.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »

It's definitely still just a plan, because Obama is a incompetent do-nothing who has actively worked to undermine all that is good about America but can't get anything done except consolidate all power to do nothing in himself and use it for bad.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »

It's definitely still just a plan, because Obama is a incompetent do-nothing who has actively worked to undermine all that is good about America but can't get anything done except consolidate all power to do nothing in himself and use it for bad.
So... many... contradictions...
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 10:41:16 PM »

That was absolutely incomprehensible.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »

Would you like to resubmit that post? Grin
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »

When you have nothing to brag about and no real achievements, you let everyone know that a plurality support your plans. Pathetic.

Yeah, conservatives are smart enough to know that real political achievement is passing laws and having nobody support them. It builds GRIT.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »

We can't sacrifice the healthcare system so that a few Millennials can be irresponsible. Anyone with any basic understanding of healthcare policy understands that the insurance pool can only operate if there are enough young and healthy people subsidizing more elderly and ill. If you don't like it, well, no one cares.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »

I am a perfectly healthy 27 year old female and my employer already offers insurance (no subsidy)—I have never opted into my employers health plan because I can not afford to. Since the ACA took effect...I still can't afford it, but am being forced to buy it anyhow for the benefit of private insurance companies the country. How have I benefited? How am I better off being forced to spend ~100$ a month I don't have for a product that I don't need (or even believe in ethically)? If anything, it's a big part of those 'helped me' Democrats who are deluding themselves—it's mostly healthy millenials who got the shaft.

You have health insurance, which you needed. 

There is no such thing as being healthy and not needed health insurance.  Healthy people get hit my buses or get a chronic illness, and suddenly, they're no longer healthy people.  Maybe you want to believe you're immortal, but you are not.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »

You have health insurance, which you needed. 

There is no such thing as being healthy and not needed health insurance.  Healthy people get hit my buses or get a chronic illness, and suddenly, they're no longer healthy people.  Maybe you want to believe you're immortal, but you are not.

Not to mention the fact that it seems pretty unlikely that there's employer-sponsored health care with no employer subsidy, right? Does this happen? Or am I just hopelessly cloistered?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies