Was there more progress from 1890 to 1950 than 1950 to 2010? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:25:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Was there more progress from 1890 to 1950 than 1950 to 2010? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Discuss.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Was there more progress from 1890 to 1950 than 1950 to 2010?  (Read 1880 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 24, 2015, 05:57:34 AM »
« edited: April 24, 2015, 06:09:08 AM by sex-negative feminist prude »

I'm not sure what I think of the idea of 'more progress' as something measurable, but subjectively, from a social history point of view, I think I'm in agreement here. A definition of modernity that only lasts for forty-six years is pretty weird (I'm reminded of your construction of a single 'Japanese Golden Age' comprising the entire Meiji, Taishō, and Shōwa eras), but finessing a subdivision of 'high modernity' or 'peak modernity' corresponding to the lost world of the early twentieth century would perhaps not be amiss. (Although a search indicates that the term 'high modernity' is usually used, when it is used, to refer to the sociocultural environment of the early Cold War, so perhaps something else would be better.)

The 'Victorian Internet' idea isn't perfect, but in its basics it's I think a better model for expositing the history of telecommunications than the sort of feverish quasi-utopian understanding of computing that's so popular these days.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies