Meet the GOP's unconventional new star
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:51:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Meet the GOP's unconventional new star
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Meet the GOP's unconventional new star  (Read 3030 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:27 AM »

I suspect the Dems will be wasting their money trying to defeat this woman, even if her district remains in within its current lines. She's gutsy, and making all the right moves to be asked to stay around for the next dance.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 10:26:57 AM »

Well, she barely won in 2014 against an accidental congressman.  In 2016, Hillary will likely win this district and higher Presidential year turnout will favor the Democrat.  Tucson is a Democratic city so there are enough decent candidates to make the race competitive.

But, you're right on the basic points.  She is building the phony moderate resume to appeal to swing voters and her military service/biography is a plus.  If she wins in 2016, she could stick around for a while. 
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »

The Hill publishing a glowing portrait of the next new star of the Republican Party? Never seen that before.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »

What exactly is unconventional about this person?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »

Hard to deny her re-election bid in 2016 won't be at least somewhat difficult. After all, she did lose to Ron Barber in a good Democratic year (2012) before beating him in a very good Republican year (2014).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 03:28:56 PM »

You're not a star when you win by 167 votes in a republican tidal wave election. Enough said.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 04:19:21 PM »

The article focused more on what she has done since her election. Just a thought. Oh, and I will be quite surprised if she loses in 2016.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »

I look forward to McSally's defeat next year.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »

This is the Democrats' only chance to defeat her. If not, then it looks like she'll succeed McCain or something.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:14:57 PM »

The article focused more on what she has done since her election. Just a thought. Oh, and I will be quite surprised if she loses in 2016.

Why, because you like her or because you think that a positive article in The Hill will be enough to put her on top amid presidential turnout in a swing district?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »

You're not a star when you win by 167 votes in a republican tidal wave election. Enough said.

Well.. to call 2014 a "tidal wave election" seems exaggerated. It was a great Republican election, but not a tidal wave by any means.

Really?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »

The Democratic woman star in this seat was shot by a kid who didn't think women should hold political power.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »

I would support this argument if she had been an incumbent.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »

Well.. to call 2014 a "tidal wave election" seems exaggerated. It was a great Republican election, but not a tidal wave by any means.

The largest GOP majority in the House since Coolidge was president, a nine seat gain in the Senate, the reelection of several unpopular incumbent governors as well as new Republican governors in several very liberal states. If that's not a "tidal wave" then you're just arguing pointless semantics about terminology
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »

Rising Star is such a yuck phrase.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 05:29:33 AM »

I look forward to McSally's defeat next year.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:01:22 AM »

Why, because you like her or because you think that a positive article in The Hill will be enough to put her on top amid presidential turnout in a swing district?

Because of what she is saying and doing in the district. And no, voters will not become aware of that via reading The Hill article. But there are other information dissemination vehicles.  Smiley
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »

Nothing that formidable about someone who barely won in a Republican year. Republicans tend to have to work extremely hard to hold districts that are 47% Obama and up in Arizona, just look at the legislature.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »

I now want her to lose because I hate this thread. And Torie.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 12:47:56 PM »

The largest GOP majority in the House since Coolidge was president, a nine seat gain in the Senate, the reelection of several unpopular incumbent governors as well as new Republican governors in several very liberal states. If that's not a "tidal wave" then you're just arguing pointless semantics about terminology

Mittens and McCain (yes, I know McCain was a favorite son), both carried AZ-02 in its current configuration, FWIW. In my view, Barber was a relatively strong incumbent - likable and moderate. Barber got in initially, because the Pub opponents were either terrible or lame.  Whatever, JMO.  I will revisit this thread after the next election. Tongue
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »

Mittens and McCain (yes, I know McCain was a favorite son), both carried AZ-02 in its current configuration, FWIW. In my view, Barber was a relatively strong incumbent - likable and moderate. Barber got in initially, because the Pub opponents were either terrible or lame.  Whatever, JMO.  I will revisit this thread after the next election. Tongue

I wouldn't call her a "star", but she's doing the kind of things that can cause her to run ahead of the GOP ticket in her district and get elected.  She's kind of a Republican Patrick Murphy (D-FL) who did the sort of non-partisan schtick and won over a toss-up district that was slightly Republican and got solidly reelected in 2014 over a respectable GOP opponent (former State Rep. Carl Domino).  Now, Murphy is running for the Rubio Senate seat and is, at this writing, the most likely Democrat to be nominated, and probably a slight favorite to be elected.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies