U.S. Split Along Racial Lines on Backlash Against Police, Poll Finds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:32:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. Split Along Racial Lines on Backlash Against Police, Poll Finds
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: U.S. Split Along Racial Lines on Backlash Against Police, Poll Finds  (Read 3989 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »

Most whites don't even attempt to understand the problems that still plague African American communities. SHOCKING.

African American voters control their localities, as evidenced by the Democratic monoculture that runs cities and counties with high minority populations. Surely, you are not referring to suffrage as a problem.

That would only fuel rumors that Democrats are still paternalistic closet racists.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »

Most whites don't even attempt to understand the problems that still plague African American communities. SHOCKING.

African American voters control their localities, as evidenced by the Democratic monoculture that runs cities and counties with high minority populations. Surely, you are not referring to suffrage as a problem.

That would only fuel rumors that Democrats are still paternalistic closet racists.

I don't think the point was about enfranchisement, but rather about the failure of many whites to make an adequate attempt to envision themselves in the shoes of, and facing the issues, that many African Americans have to deal with, in locales in which they don't live in, and don't want to live in.  Did you not really perceive this rather obvious point, as opposed to the one not made which you then traduced?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »

What do middle class blacks and working class whites think I wonder?

I presume the latter will be just as pro-police as Middle-class whites, but what about the former group?

Well, considering even rich black men like Chris Rock get pulled over for no reason at all, I'd say middle class blacks are as wary of the police as poor blacks.
There are some upper middle class and upper class African Americans in St. Louis, and they are pulled over just as often if not more frequently than those economically worse off. They're more likely to be driving nicer cars through whiter neighborhoods, and the police pull them over assuming they stole them. From what I have heard from some of the wealthier African American classmates, they are taught from the day they start driving that when, not if, they are pulled over, they have to cooperate fully, put their hands up, and never talk back to the police.

Essentially, yes. Your explanation was much more articulate than mine. It is a major problem when African-Americans are assumed to have stolen something just because it's nice and cops can't imagine African-Americans having nice things.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2015, 06:43:01 PM by PR »

Interesting article about some other (related issues) regarding race and politics in America:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.psmag.com/politics-and-law/are-we-talking-enough-about-the-black-middle-class
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies