Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:02:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015  (Read 19400 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2015, 01:22:08 AM »

Wulfric, are you at all concerned about bringing explicit theological views into policymaking, since it opens the gate to draconian majority enforcement of religious views you may think are wrong?
Well, if you're asking "Am I concerned about non-Christians who would want to enforce their (false) religion on society?", then yes.

Wow, I think we can drop the 'moderate hero' tag from Mr Wulfric. There's nothing moderate or in any way heroic about these positions.

Well, considering this forum's political spectrum has Hillary Clinton as an arch-right winger, and I'm obviously to her right on (almost) everything, I never applied that title much to myself anyways.

No one except maybe Smoltchanov calls themselves a moderate hero.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2015, 01:35:05 AM »

Wulfric, are you at all concerned about bringing explicit theological views into policymaking, since it opens the gate to draconian majority enforcement of religious views you may think are wrong?
Well, if you're asking "Am I concerned about non-Christians who would want to enforce their (false) religion on society?", then yes.

Wow, I think we can drop the 'moderate hero' tag from Mr Wulfric. There's nothing moderate or in any way heroic about these positions.

Well, considering this forum's political spectrum has Hillary Clinton as an arch-right winger, and I'm obviously to her right on (almost) everything, I never applied that title much to myself anyways.

That is true, your divisive and dangerous views are all your own.
Foucaulf
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2015, 01:41:46 AM »

I really did not expect you to be so authoritarian and radical on this issue.  You are one of the very few people I've ever met who apparently thinks it's just fine to superimpose any and all personal beliefs on public policymaking, and that personal religious beliefs trump a secular harm test in all instances of policymaking.  That just seems so damn perilous to me, but not to you?

Yikes.  That's internally consistent, but it might be the most extreme position I've ever seen on this forum.

Drive-by post here, but I think this result was perfectly expected. The problem at its core, I'll wildly postulate, is that Wulfric simply do not know many people who really veer from his beliefs. Why that's the case should be a personal matter.

All I can say is that, if he's still enrolled in college, trying to play the victim on Atlas Forum instead of meeting others with different narratives on his campus is his loss.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2015, 02:05:46 AM »

When it comes to compromise, Wulfric splits the baby for the fun of killing babies.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36:55 AM »

Sorry dude but this is all just ridiculous.  You are aware that the bible also justifies pedophilia a few times, right?

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites ... And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males ... And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones ... And Moses was wroth with the officers ... And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. Numbers 31:1-18

Okay that is in war time, but surely there isn't a passage about selling your teenage daughter to another dude is there, oh wait:

if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant ... If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed ... If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. Exodus 21:7-10

I guess that means lolfric would have to vote in favor of abolishing the age of consent.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2015, 07:12:23 AM »

Wulfric,

Are you really going to deny that these are Christian ceremonies?

Are you really going to "go there" and say that these churches do not perform valid marriages in the eyes of God? As someone who was married (to an opposite-sex partner) in the Episcopal Church, I am personally offended if believe that marriages performed by my church aren't "real."

You can't have it both ways. Either the above couples aren't married, and neither am I, or we are all. Surely you wouldn't be so presumptive to think you can pick and choose which Episcopal marriages are real and which aren't. Surely...

You can call them whatever you like, but they're not valid marriages in the eyes of god.

And, you'd actually rather have no marriage at all rather than traditional marriage only? Seriously?

I don't know what this "rather" is. Either Episcopal Church performs valid marriages or it does not. Same goes for the Lutherans, Presbyterians, UCC, etc. You can't arbitrarily pick and choose to personally recognize some of these churches' holy marriages and not others.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2015, 09:59:02 AM »

Why has everyone thought Wulfric was a moderate? On his post in the "Political Views Explained" megathread months ago, he was consistently conservative on almost everything with the exception of a few random liberal positions, mostly on economics.

He's straight up conservative almost across the board.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »

Why has everyone thought Wulfric was a moderate? On his post in the "Political Views Explained" megathread months ago, he was consistently conservative on almost everything with the exception of a few random liberal positions, mostly on economics.

There's a difference between straight up conservative and straight up theocrat.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2015, 12:51:07 PM by publicunofficial »

Because he has generally had the image of a moderate. He endorses both Democrats and Republicans.

He wasn't really trying so much as to be moderate, he was trying to be impartial.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »

Wulfric, do you support repeal of the 1st Amendment?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2015, 12:21:05 PM »

"While I do not support the repeal of the 1st Amendment, I would not be opposed to it being repealed by 2/3rds majority of Congress and ratification of the states."
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »

Meanwhile, in Texas.....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/texas-senate-testimony-its-a-hate-crime-to-make-people-not-discriminate-against-gays/

Just a reminder that Wulfric's views aren't that far out of the mainstream of public opinion on this issue - especially in certain regions of these United States, where his views are if anything, relatively tame compared to a lot of the population.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2015, 02:26:39 PM »

Because he goes out of his way to appear moderate even when his actual positions are extreme
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »

Because he goes out of his way to appear moderate even when his actual positions are extreme

Being against SSM for religious reasons is an "extreme" position?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »

Being in favor of banning the construction of mosques.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2015, 04:53:48 PM by Torie »

Being in favor of banning the construction of mosques.

Yes, that qualifies, particularly if it is because of the particular religion involved.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »

Yes Wulfric is going way beyond opposing SSM now.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2015, 04:50:57 PM »

Does all this apply to synagogues also?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »

Sorry dude but this is all just ridiculous.  You are aware that the bible also justifies pedophilia a few times, right?

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites ... And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males ... And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones ... And Moses was wroth with the officers ... And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. Numbers 31:1-18

Okay that is in war time, but surely there isn't a passage about selling your teenage daughter to another dude is there, oh wait:

if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant ... If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed ... If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. Exodus 21:7-10

I guess that means lolfric would have to vote in favor of abolishing the age of consent.

"Rise Peter, kill and eat."
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »

Opposing interracial marriage for religious reasons may not have seemed that extreme in the 1960s. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2015, 05:46:57 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2015, 05:49:30 PM by TDAS04 »

Wulfric, would you vote in favor of the government smashing Buddha statues?  Or imprisoning people for making fun of Jesus?  Or prohibiting them from playing dreidel?  
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »

OK now that I have a bit more time:

Wulfric your position becomes even more untenable when you consider the state now has to define "Christian", which opens up some issues with what to restrict. Even ignoring denominations that perform same sex weddings, what about Mormons? Should their temples be banned? What about Seventh-day Adventists? They may fit the definition of Christian by most people and other denominations, but their views toward anyone who doesn't worship on Saturday would exclude many other denominations. What about Oneness Pentecostals who don't believe in the Trinity? Their baptisms aren't considered valid by most Christian denominations, so should they be restricted? You basically will need some agency to determine what is or isn't Christian and effectively have the state regulating Christianity.

And actually, your position SSM and civil unions isn't even consistent with this. If homosexuality is a sin, and goes against the will of God, and this can't ever be supported even on a secular scale, then why are civil unions OK? That too is promoting sin by your standard. In fact if you want to restrict/ban other religions, the only consistent position would be to criminalize homosexuality as well. Supporting not just the legality of homosexuality but also civil unions on top of this makes NO sense compared to the rest of this.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2015, 01:02:38 AM »

^ BRTD's questions are pretty close to the ones I intended to ask, so I'll defer to them, Wulfric.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2015, 07:21:18 AM »

Wulfric, would you vote in favor of the government smashing Buddha statues?  Or imprisoning people for making fun of Jesus?  Or prohibiting them from playing dreidel?  

He would only favor smashing Buddha statutes. He does not getting the government involved in play of dreidel. #compromise #moderate
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2015, 11:12:20 AM »

Wulfric, would you vote in favor of the government smashing Buddha statues?  Or imprisoning people for making fun of Jesus?  Or prohibiting them from playing dreidel? 

He would only favor smashing 55% of all Buddha statutes. He does not getting the government involved in play of dreidel. #compromise #moderate

ftfy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies