Vote Aye: Atlasians for Electoral Reform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:57:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vote Aye: Atlasians for Electoral Reform
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Vote Aye: Atlasians for Electoral Reform  (Read 3091 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »
« edited: April 23, 2015, 01:58:27 PM by oakvale »

Atlasians for Electoral Reform is a non-partisan group that will campaign in support of the Electoral Reform Amendment, a landmark piece of legislation diligently authored by the Senate after months of debate and championed by President Bore,  that will replace stagnant at-large elections with a district-based system.

I urge all in favour to sign up below.

F.A.Q.

Why should I vote for the Electoral Reform Amendment?

There's a few reasons!

1. Better campaigns

The last at-large race saw an utterly predictable result, with the only real question on Election Day being in what order the candidates would be returned. Compare this to exciting regional elections, such as John Bore-ah's strings of razor's edge victories, TNF's intense campaigns against his challengers, Windjammer's Mideast upset, and the race in the South in February. When's the last time you looked at an at-large race and thought 'that was an exciting campaign'? The exception to this are, arguably, at-large specials, because they are the most like districts - candidates campaigning for a single seat, against each other.

In the new system, candidates will have to tailor their message to a localised audience, and, crucially, they'll have to campaign against the other candidates. It won't be enough to sit back and relax, trusting transfers from your party colleagues to carry you over the finising line on the last count. The changeability of districts will also introduce an element of unpredictability and suspense into each election. Campaigns will be more exciting, more personalised, and more fun for all concerned.

2. Accountability

While at-large Senators technically have the entire nation as their constituents, in practice the murkiness of this distinction, as well as the fact that responsiblity is diluted and dispersed among five individuals, mean that at-large Senators are not clearly accountable to any particular set of constituents, in contrast to regional Senators.

Under the new system, Senators will have a specific constiteuncy to which they will have to justify themselves and maintain the support of if they wish to continue in office. Once again, Senators cannot rely on a mere party bloc vote or transfers from a more popular running mate. You, the people, will have more power over your representatives in a district-based system.

3. A greater role for the regions

The ERA is dependent on the inut of the five regional Governors for the collaborative redistricting process, lending further importance to regional politics and ensuring that gubernatorial elections will be hotly contested. The regions, the building block of Atlasia, will be more integrated than ever before in federal election politics. There's also the likely possibility that regional legislatures can involve themselves in the process, for example, by requiring that the Governor present a proposed redistricting plan to the legislature before they sign off on it.

4. More opportunities for new players

As the President has noted, it is usually very predictable how many candidates each party runs in an at-large election - one or two. Any more brings the fear of splitting the vote, with unfortunate consequences. Such a system inevitably favours more established and senior figures who can rely on a personal voter base, at the expense of newer players. With five districts, a party could run a candidate in each district - instead of one or two, each party could field five, giving a golden opportunity to new members to contest Senate seats.

But don't at-large elections provide an opportunity for minor party or independent candidates?

No. This may theoretically be the case but as we have seen time and time again, in practice the results will almost always be the same barring some kind of major external event that alters the dynamic of power - the well-organised Labor Party will return two Senators through excellent vote management, the Federalists will return one, and the third and fourth parties, TPP and CR, will return one each.

This will occasionally be disrupted with exceptional candidates, such as Bacon King's election as a second TPP candidate, or a particularly hostile environment to one party, such as JCL edging into the Senate at the expense of Alfred F. Jones, but in general at-large elections are predictable and it's worth noting that in both cases truly independen candidates had little or no chance. Compare that to the South, where an independent candidate ousted a long-serving and established Senator through building a broad coalition, something that would be impossible in a national election.

Wouldn't districts allow for gerrymandering?

The proposed amendment requires a redistricting process with all Governors and the SoFE agreeing on the makeup of the districts. Yes, this could in theory allow for unrepresentative districts, but that possibility is a feature, not a bug - redistricting will be a focus of lively debate and perhaps even controversy, and as mentioned above the Governor's office will take on a crucial importance as opposed to being seen all too often as a stepping stone for higher office. It's also important to note that it's very unlikely that all five Governors would agree on a map that unduly favours a single party or political orientation.

As a robot, I prefer the current system of mass PMings and turnout machines to a localised, personalised campaign.

Then you should probably vote against the ERA. Anyone else should give it their full support in the voting booth.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »

Let's get this reform passed!

x Cranberry
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:01:35 AM »

x Flo
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:12:15 AM »

Never understood why we got rid of districts.

X - Earl
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:19 AM »

As the original author of the Amendment, I like this!

x rpryor03
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »

X Dr Cynic
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »

X Harry S Truman
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 12:19:08 PM »

Absolutely.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »

xWindjammer
At large elections are boring. The last was particularly uninteresting.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 01:11:48 PM »

X Castro
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 02:48:39 PM »

~Sawx
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »

x Cris
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 04:36:15 PM »

x Bore
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »

x SomebodyWhoExists
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 05:41:58 PM »

X Spiral
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 06:00:42 PM »

I don't understand the claim that this will lead to a more competitive electoral system. If you have 7 candidates for 5 seats, at-large you have a competitive election. With districts you'd have 3 that are noncompetitive and 2 that might be competitive.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 07:29:36 PM »

I support this return to the good old days, as we all now return to 2007 (but with a better name for my region).

X PiT (The Physicist)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »

x LumineVonReuental
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 04:09:07 AM »

X BaconBacon96
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 07:04:10 AM »

I don't understand the claim that this will lead to a more competitive electoral system. If you have 7 candidates for 5 seats, at-large you have a competitive election. With districts you'd have 3 that are noncompetitive and 2 that might be competitive.

As I said to Griffin in the other thread, at large elections artificially lower the number of candidates. For instance in my own party we only run two for at large because if we run anymore we risk splitting the vote and losing a seat. But we have a larger pool of possible senate candidates we would run if there were districts. We would try and get clyde or new canadaland or any number of others. At least some of them would want to run. The same is also true of other parties.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »

You do raise an interesting point with at-large senate races: who are your constituents? I struggled with this a lot from 2009-2011 when I was in the senate because I was representing a conservative party and wasn't a conservative guy. I'd have half the party mad at me and half of them supporting me, so I never knew just who I represented.

Ultimately I decided I was representing those who voted for me - the 18-22 voters who first preferenced me each time.

I am happy to support this amendment. We've needed some reform for sometime. I championed a government overhaul that was maybe too ambitious about a year ago, but this will be a welcomed change.

x Duke
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »

So interesting to see how the support and dissent breaks down.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »

Never understood why we got rid of districts.

X - Earl

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=66341.0

Aside from Spade and BrandonH, everyone in the Senate at the time supported it and there wasn't much debate on the merits for or against. Probably, just like with this one, the merits were debated on the AFE board. Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »

The switch to At-Large seats shook the game up, and that was good. My suspicion is that, if done right, a switch back to districts would (eight years on) have the same effect. We've reached the point where we have six candidates for five seats with one of those six hardly being a serious candidate. That's not good. Now, pevious proposals for a return to district elections have had serious flaws, but this one looks more credible. If it doesnt work, we can always revert.

X - Al Sibboleth

Additionally... I'm all up for abolishing the regional seats as well. They are (and always were) an example of egregious malapportionment. Additionally the classic reason for them (i.e. that they strengthen the Regions) has proven quite untrue. But that is a separate battle and I don't think we can realistically consider fighting it until the principle of districting returns.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 01:59:39 PM »

x Blair
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length