Cooperatives Administration Act of 2015 (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:08:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cooperatives Administration Act of 2015 (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cooperatives Administration Act of 2015 (Failed)  (Read 2504 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: April 24, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »

Strike Section 2 and I could support it. The government should not artificially bloat one sector just because of what it is or stands for. If cooperatives are to be successful, they will need to be able to survive on their own.

Plus, one third of contracts cannot immediately go to cooperatives after the passage of this bill for the simple reason that there will not be enough cooperatives to take on this work.

I think we can support cooperatives in their infancy (so long as we make it clear what a cooperative is), but I can't see how setting any kind of quota is a good idea here. They've got to compete for contracts just like everyone else.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »

Seeing the above responses, I feel good going ahead and putting this amendment forward.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »

I object.

The point of section 2 is to make sure we have a strong cooperative sector by setting aside federal contracts for cooperatives.

Why should we give them contracts if it is counter to our fiscal interests?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »

Not sure. We could arbitrarily throw a number onto it, but I'd be curious to know what our budgetary situation is looking like. Not that this would be a hugely expensive program, but it would be nice to know how we're doing before we agree to spending.

Is there a way just to group co-operatives in with small business and allow them access to the grants/support that already exists? Or is this the case already?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »

Atlasia abolished its Small Business Administration several years ago, IIRC.

Perhaps now would be a good time to reinstate it, then. Unless there were good reasons for abolishing it?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »

Atlasia abolished its Small Business Administration several years ago, IIRC.

Perhaps now would be a good time to reinstate it, then. Unless there were good reasons for abolishing it?

There was never much evidence in favor of its effectiveness, and in practice it functioned mostly as a subsidy to banks by providing backing for high-risk loans.

Hm. Interesting. So if one follows that same line of reasoning, couldn't the same be said for what we're now planning to do with cooperatives?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »

'I don't believe it's our role to promote a particular form of business organization'

Except that you do, because not promoting co-ops means spending federal dollars on contracts with non-cooperative enterprises.

The government is not promoting anything by paying for the goods and services it needs to operate. Contracts should go to companies who can do good work at a reasonably competitive price. If cooperatives cannot deliver on those fronts, then there's a problem inherent to their business model. I'm inclined to believe they can indeed compete on their own.

And since we don't seem to be giving too much help to small business either, I don't see why we should help cooperatives instead.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »

Nay

Lol.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies