Let's Stop Tricking the Newbies Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:33:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Let's Stop Tricking the Newbies Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Let's Stop Tricking the Newbies Act (Debating)  (Read 3227 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: April 25, 2015, 10:11:47 AM »
« edited: April 25, 2015, 10:16:04 AM by Senator Polnut »

Again... a touch alarming that people bother to save IRC correspondence ... kinda scary that people need a paper trail.

But without thinking too much on this... I think the requirements are pretty onerous to justify how this section is proven, especially for a voluntary game.

It seems to require someone to say, yeah move, it's good. Then another piece of information saying "yeah, it means he can't vote hahaha". Or it requires someone to prove a negative.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »

My objection is not that it's difficult to record every conversation that I have over the internet. My objection is that it's creepy and overbearing.

That's the key distinction between the laws that we already have - about what you can't say - and this proposal - which governs what you must say. It's easy to prove that I said something; it's almost impossible to prove that I did not. The law would be unenforceable, unless you're suggesting that we move to a standard of presumed guilt.

Again, what evidence do we have that this is even a problem?

Quite frankly, these are my issues in a nutshell.

1. It seems remarkably obsessive and indeed overbearing for a voluntary activity. As I said, I don't keep records of what I say and to whom... I don't intend to start now. I think outside of a few, it would not be the norm.

2. The amendment is loaded with subjectivity both in language and implied actions that I can't see a universal application of this law and would require both a standard of evidence and a degree of interpretation that seems highly problematic.

AG - FTR, yes, I do understand why some retain chat logs. But just for s***s and giggles? That's flat out scary.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 08:13:13 PM »

The biggest problem isn't constitutionality so much as practicality.

Indeed. It seems to me that the provision would require proof that someone didn't do something, as opposed to proof being required that someone did. Which is pretty much counter to the way criminal justice is meant to work. Putting that to one side, the burden of evidence in such scenarios does appear to be pretty much unworkable in a significant portion of such scenarios.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:00:45 PM »

NAY
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies