Would you have voted for the Iraq War? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:06:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you have voted for the Iraq War? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In 2003, knowing only the information presented at the time.
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Would you have voted for the Iraq War?  (Read 3604 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: April 24, 2015, 10:50:31 PM »

Well, what does the range of plausible counterfactuals look like? Not much better, unless American deaths are the only ones that count.

From a US policy planning perspective, I'd say that they are the only ones that count.

But even if you disregard that, we know Saddam was not a nice man, but do you seriously think that if he had stayed in power he would have killed more people since 2003 than were killed due to the war and instability his removal caused?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »

But even if you disregard that, we know Saddam was not a nice man, but do you seriously think that if he had stayed in power he would have killed more people since 2003 than were killed due to the war and instability his removal caused?

There's a decent chance that if the status quo had continued until the Arab Spring era, there would have been a Syria-like civil war.  Between that and the sanctions, would more people have died than have died IRL?  I don't know.

There's also the question of what the US would have done if an Arab Spring-type insurgency arose in Iraq in either the 2000s or 2010s in a scenario where the US was still enforcing the no-fly zones.

I've heard the argument that the Arab Spring would not have happened absent the Iraq War; I don't agree with that assertion, since the political landscape of the rest of the Arab World wasn't significantly altered by the Iraq War.

I honestly think that if Saddam had still been in power in 2011, Iraq by that point would have just been a Middle Eastern version of North Korea: politically isolated from its neighbors and the major Western powers, and economically disastrous due to external sanctions and internal kleptocracy. I could see him more or less preventing social media from taking hold in his country, which would have made it considerably more difficult for opposition groups to organize.

It would be interesting to see how Saddam would have reacted to the Syrian civil war, since he despised the Assads.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies