We knew fraternities hated black people; apparently they also hate veterans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:41:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  We knew fraternities hated black people; apparently they also hate veterans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We knew fraternities hated black people; apparently they also hate veterans  (Read 730 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »

In the '60s, it was the long-haired hippies spitting on soldiers; today, it's the buttoned down, conformist Greeks doing the honors during a Panama City getaway gone terribly awry.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The hippies were upset about little Asian babies being bayoneted and showed in Agent Orange. The bros are upset that the men who are defending their Muh Freedoms had the gall to wear baseball caps and t-shirts like GDI plebes rather than an ensemble of pastel bowties, seersucker and croakies like a true "Southern gentleman" would.

On the face of it, you'd think men like those of Zeta Beta Tau love America. Their ilk are the sort who wear American flag short-shorts and Reagan-Bush-'84 t-shirts. But the reality is that they don't love America beyond the parts of it that make life so wonderful for privileged white men. They would never do something like enlist in the armed forces like a scrub. That's for the sort of working poor black, white and Hispanic people who are only good for being the subject of racist, mean-spirited theme parties that lead to half-hearted apologies to the university administration.

They might hide behind their "community service" - raising money by throwing parties for themselves and their friends or grudgingly picking up a few pieces of trash for a photo op. But the reality is that they chose to be part of an organization that is premised on excluding people for opaque and arbitrary reasons - on maintaining and enhancing their own personal connections and privileges, not on "giving back." So it makes sense that they disdain men who were willing to potentially give everything and their lives in hope of protecting or helping others.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:16:22 PM »

I find these kids utterly grating and cringeworthy (and frat boy fashion is also vile), but I can't help but feel that your vendetta here is more personal than anything.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »

I think the best response is in these words of another poster:

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »

You people have no clue how most fraternities operate.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »

Thank Christ, no, we don't! Please tell us everything (especially the everything that is anything pillow fight related)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »

Thank Christ, no, we don't! Please tell us everything (especially the everything that is anything pillow fight related)

A vast majority of them are not the stereotypical polo-wearing misogynistic gaggle of orange-haired racists.  They are not exclusionary (as it, take basically anyone with real interest), enjoy philanthropy, and have diverse memberships.  Mine was like this.  We had some traditions and relics from the 60s, and we drank like degenerates, but we were well-liked on campus and had a huge circle of friends who did not join but would spend a ton of time over our house with us and at events and we welcomed them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »

One fraternity misbehaves = all fraternities hate veterans. Logic.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »

I find these kids utterly grating and cringeworthy, but I can't help but feel that your vendetta here is more personal than anything.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »

Also, IndyTX, statistics disagree with you about joining the military.  Whites are actually over represented in the military.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424053111903791504576587244025371456

Many of those "annoying frat boys" tend to be great athletes and have great social skills, two things that help tremendously for success in life, whether one likes it or not.  Many kids like that I know want to enlist in the army after college or want to do NROTC, so those are my counter-anecdotes.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 07:29:11 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 07:30:42 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

A vast majority of them are not the stereotypical polo-wearing misogynistic gaggle of orange-haired racists.  They are not exclusionary (as it, take basically anyone with real interest), enjoy philanthropy, and have diverse memberships.  Mine was like this.  We had some traditions and relics from the 60s, and we drank like degenerates, but we were well-liked on campus and had a huge circle of friends who did not join but would spend a ton of time over our house with us and at events and we welcomed them.

This post wins life. Great post, HockeyDude.

I love my fraternity and and we were and are a great group of guys. People like to judge when it's convenient
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies