Snyder set to announce soon; UPDATE: actually, he's out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:11:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Snyder set to announce soon; UPDATE: actually, he's out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Snyder set to announce soon; UPDATE: actually, he's out  (Read 4167 times)
Bull Moose Base

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
« edited: April 25, 2015, 05:08:51 PM by Bull Moose Base »

But... with a minimum of 3% in the polls, are we still looking at 10+ candidates in the debates?

Where you are getting the 3% number from? In 2012 it was 1% for the earliest debates, and 2% later in the season.

I thought there was no set standard for whom to invite but that when polling was used, 1% was the cut-off throughout the whole primary season. A threshold of 2% or higher and your stage might only include: Bush, Walker, Rubio, Cruz, Paul, Christie, Huckabee, Trump, Carson, Perry. The second division- Graham, Fiorina, Santorum, Jindal, Kasich, Snyder, Pataki, Erlich, Gilmore, Bolton- are at more risk to not make the cut.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2015, 05:23:34 PM »

How is Santorum second tier after 2012?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »

Because he's currently polling around 1-2%.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »

It's tyme fer some good ol' fashion union bustin'.

End union tyranny!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »

Snyder has a J.D. degree, along with an M.B.A. and a B.G.S.

I like him already.

Republicans cannot put forward a candidate who is not a university graduate.

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2015, 06:33:12 PM »

Because he's currently polling around 1-2%.

Right, I'm speaking strictly about who are more likely to make or miss a polling cut-off for the debates if those are used.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2015, 07:34:23 PM »

Pretty sure Rick Snyder is Scott Walker Beta.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »

I think Snyder can win. When he introduces himself to the rest of the country, he will be seen as tough. But does he have the charisma needed to win? Or will the American voter say, "to hell with charisma".
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »

I think Snyder can win. When he introduces himself to the rest of the country, he will be seen as tough. But does he have the charisma needed to win? Or will the American voter say, "to hell with charisma".

He won't get the chance to introduce himself, he'll be sharing the spotlight with 19 other Republicans if he's lucky.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2015, 10:30:32 PM »

But... with a minimum of 3% in the polls, are we still looking at 10+ candidates in the debates?

Where you are getting the 3% number from? In 2012 it was 1% for the earliest debates, and 2% later in the season.

I thought there was no set standard for whom to invite but that when polling was used, 1% was the cut-off throughout the whole primary season. A threshold of 2% or higher and your stage might only include: Bush, Walker, Rubio, Cruz, Paul, Christie, Huckabee, Trump, Carson, Perry. The second division- Graham, Fiorina, Santorum, Jindal, Kasich, Snyder, Pataki, Erlich, Gilmore, Bolton- are at more risk to not make the cut.

There was no single entity controlling all the debates last time.  The criteria were set by the individual organizations hosting the debates.  That's why you had Gary Johnson invited to two debates but not any of the others.

This time, you have RNC-sanctioned debates.  Priebus has floated the idea of some kind of polling cutoff that would get more strict as you get closer to election day, but nothing's been decided yet.  The criteria could be anything the RNC comes up with.  Of course, if the cutoff is too strict, then the excluded candidates will probably just go rogue and hold their own debate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2015, 12:28:30 AM »

That also assumes every single candidate that is being discussed will enter the race which is certainly not true

Who do you not see running? I think everyone is in.

No way.  Bolton, King, and Pence are all supposedly thinking about it, but they seem the least likely to take the plunge among the 20+ potential candidates who've expressed interest.  Likewise, 4th tier jokes like Ehrlich and Gilmore: maybe they'll run and maybe they won't.  I think it's too early to say.  Trump has set up an exploratory committee, sure, but he's unpredictable.  He could drop out at any time due to boredom.  Kasich: I don't know.  It sounds like he might be legitimately undecided on whether to run or not.  Maybe he will and maybe he won't.  I'm not sure.

For that matter, Snyder.  Despite the misleading thread title here, we're basing the fact that he's supposedly set to enter the race soon on Norm Coleman's statement that "he's running"?  I'd prefer to wait for some comment from either Snyder himself or someone directly in his political orbit before I jump to conclusions.  Then you've also got folks like Jindal and Perry: Longshots for the nomination who seem like they'll probably run, but it's premature to put those chances too close to 100%.  Barbour, for example, looked likely to run four years ago, but opted out.  Just because people are visiting early primary states now doesn't mean they'll pull the trigger.

And then of course, you've got the Iowa Straw Poll on Aug. 8th.  At least one candidate will drop out because of a poor showing in that, as always happens.  The first debate isn't until a week later, so we have time for some culling of the field between now and then.
bobloblaw
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »

Can't help but think this clown car is strategically disadvantageous for the GOP. After 2012 I would have thought the RNC would be actively working behind the scenes to keep this one from becoming too much of a bloodbath. It's going to take forever for anyone to break 30% in the polls at this rate. Meanwhile Clinton has to fend off heavyweights like Chafee and O'Malley...

It wont be a bloodbath the leader will emerge within the first 3-4 primaries.

The clown car however, is the car carrying the
1. Corrupt 70 year old hag
2. The failed gov of MD
3. Fake Indian
4. Gaffmaster VP
5. Scots-Irish Neoconfederate
6. Communist from VT
7. Someone named after a luxury car.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2015, 10:23:49 PM »

Can't help but think this clown car is strategically disadvantageous for the GOP. After 2012 I would have thought the RNC would be actively working behind the scenes to keep this one from becoming too much of a bloodbath. It's going to take forever for anyone to break 30% in the polls at this rate. Meanwhile Clinton has to fend off heavyweights like Chafee and O'Malley...

2. The failed gov of MD
3. Fake Indian Not running
4. Gaffmaster VP Not running
6. Communist from VT

This isn't a clown car, it's a full but comfortable Toyota.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2015, 10:25:43 PM »

wait "bobby" jindal isn't running?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2015, 10:29:56 PM »

Puyish isn't /that/ kind of fake Indian.
bobloblaw
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »

2. The failed gov of MD
3. Fake Indian Not running
4. Gaffmaster VP Not running
6. Communist from VT

This isn't a clown car, it's a full but comfortable Toyota.

Biden is running
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2015, 12:16:08 AM »

April 25, this article is 24 days late.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2015, 01:11:25 AM »

That also assumes every single candidate that is being discussed will enter the race which is certainly not true

Who do you not see running? I think everyone is in.

No way.  Bolton, King, and Pence are all supposedly thinking about it, but they seem the least likely to take the plunge among the 20+ potential candidates who've expressed interest.  Likewise, 4th tier jokes like Ehrlich and Gilmore: maybe they'll run and maybe they won't.  I think it's too early to say.  Trump has set up an exploratory committee, sure, but he's unpredictable.  He could drop out at any time due to boredom.  Kasich: I don't know.  It sounds like he might be legitimately undecided on whether to run or not.  Maybe he will and maybe he won't.  I'm not sure.

For that matter, Snyder.  Despite the misleading thread title here, we're basing the fact that he's supposedly set to enter the race soon on Norm Coleman's statement that "he's running"?  I'd prefer to wait for some comment from either Snyder himself or someone directly in his political orbit before I jump to conclusions.  Then you've also got folks like Jindal and Perry: Longshots for the nomination who seem like they'll probably run, but it's premature to put those chances too close to 100%.  Barbour, for example, looked likely to run four years ago, but opted out.  Just because people are visiting early primary states now doesn't mean they'll pull the trigger.

And then of course, you've got the Iowa Straw Poll on Aug. 8th.  At least one candidate will drop out because of a poor showing in that, as always happens.  The first debate isn't until a week later, so we have time for some culling of the field between now and then.

lol, yeah, there is absolutely no indication he is "set to announce soon," even if he is thinking of it (which probably two-thirds of GOP governors are at this point).
DS0816
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 07:53:28 AM »

He's going nowhere.

But, go ahead and drum up some fake excitement for Rick Snyder.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »

Good for him but like i've said for MONTHS the republican nominee will be one of these three....Rubio, Bush or Walker.....the rest is just for talk...
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »

Good for him but like i've said for MONTHS the republican nominee will be one of these three....Rubio, Bush or Walker.....the rest is just for talk...
Thanks for your hard hitting insight.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »

Tim Pawlenty 2016
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2015, 07:11:21 AM »

Non-interesting anecdote: my grandmother, who is a lifelong Democrat from Massachusetts has never voted Republican except for Rick Snyder in 2010 and 2014. When I asked her why she did she told me that he "seemed like someone that could fix things."

She also doesn't like James Michael Curley, but that's a whole other issue.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »

Goodness, how many men is it gonna take the Republicans to lose to one woman?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/rick-snyder-not-running-for-president-117713.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies