I see the GOP being the dominant Party in the US for decades to come
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:40:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I see the GOP being the dominant Party in the US for decades to come
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: I see the GOP being the dominant Party in the US for decades to come  (Read 4915 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »

The difference is that whites have permanently fled the Democratic Party

Except in New York. And Washington. And New England. And most of the Midwest. And Eastern Pennsylvania. And Urban Areas.

And well, anywhere that isn't the rural Deep South/Appalachia/Plains.

Except that because of polarization, liberal whites are attracted to those places.  Nationwide, the white vote is solid GOP - and that's because of the left's obsession with stoking racial tensions.
aktheden
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 10:40:55 AM »

Except in New York. And Washington. And New England. And most of the Midwest. And Eastern Pennsylvania. And Urban Areas.

I see White support for the Democratic Party collapsing in the Midwest...Just like it did in the South; That is the next Target for the racist wing of the GOP and I think they will pull it off...that is why they are so hellbent on destroying Unions..because Whites in unions tend to vote Democratic...no Unions, no White Democrats.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:28 AM »

I see lots of things happening and both parties oscillating in share of power. Predicting dominance or demise for either the Democrats or the Republicans is an ever popular and ever futile exercise.

The other side does it way more than we do...

Does what?  There was no action being described in that post
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »

Democrat Party's strategic obsession with racial demagoguery  and 'demographics' have caused a white exodus from the party.  They've been able to stem this enough to cobble together a coalition in presidential years by using the homosexual issue and making things up about the GOP about birth control, et al.

I do think that many Democrats do tend to be  overconfident - the midterm losses they suffered in the Obama years were nothing short of historic.  I think it was something like 900 state legislative seats. The difference is this time, the party has hopefully learned that we have a conservative for a candidate to bring a coalition of our own to the polls. Someone who is actually there to fight hard and win as opposed to a hard-left candidate like Romney or McCain.

Romney or McCain are hard-left candidates? You must be joking.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, sorry.  I was saying that  the Democrats and the media essentially declared the Republican Party dead after the 2008 elections, followed by a record smashing midterm.  Declared the Republican Party demographically irrelevant after 2012, followed by a record smashing midterms. By all measures, we haven't seen such historic gains by the opposition party  in almost a century. Furthermore, nearly 900, IIRC, state legislative seats have flipped since 2008). Republican majorities, particularly in the House, are as high as they were during the 1st World War.

Yet the hypocrisy lies with Republican victories nearly universally being portrayed as "only because of low turnout," vs. a Democrat winning a national election by single digits is followed by a sweeping analysis of how the Republicans will never win again.

I'm sure some on our side did the same after the midterms, but I just don't see it as much I guess.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »

Both were de facto same-sex marriage supporters and neither proposed conservative tax cuts.  They were so wishy washy that they reinforced the meme that they were flip floppers.  If you think about it, even as a leftist, you have to be surprised that they're the best the Republicans could come up with vs Obama, who many of us think is dangerous to the country and the worst  President in history, we brought up two candidates with no desire to win or fight.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »

Except that because of polarization, liberal whites are attracted to those places.  Nationwide, the white vote is solid GOP - and that's because of the left's obsession with stoking racial tensions.

60% isn't solid GOP. The Democrats "problem" with whites comes entirely from the Deep South, Plains, and Appalachia.

I see White support for the Democratic Party collapsing in the Midwest...Just like it did in the South; That is the next Target for the racist wing of the GOP and I think they will pull it off...that is why they are so hellbent on destroying Unions..because Whites in unions tend to vote Democratic...no Unions, no White Democrats.

I know more white Democrats who aren't union members than I do white unionized Democrats.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »

Except that because of polarization, liberal whites are attracted to those places.  Nationwide, the white vote is solid GOP - and that's because of the left's obsession with stoking racial tensions.

60% isn't solid GOP. The Democrats "problem" with whites comes entirely from the Deep South, Plains, and Appalachia.

I know more white Democrats who aren't union members than I do white unionized Democrats.

I don't think I understand your point. Not trying to argue just not sure what you're saying.  I'm not sure where they come from is irrelevant, just citing national numbers. No, I don't think it's solid either, but it's certainly a trend that's been relatively constant post-2008.  And I attribute that to Democrats doing 100% of their outreach to minorities and others.  
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 11:03:38 AM »

The pendulum swings both ways.  While the GOP may be gaining ground now, the pendulum will swing back to the Democrats.  It is certainly possible, if not likely, that we will have a Republican president in 2017, after a Republican has been in there for 4-8 years we'll see the pendulum start swinging back around the 6th year midterms, if not the 2nd year midterms.  In the last 40 years we have only had the pendulum stay on one side of the aisle longer than 8 years one time and that was 1981-1993 when Reagan and Bush were in office.  That's another part of the healthy checks and balances this country enjoys.  I reject the sentiment that the Democrats will be dominant for decades to come, but I also reject the sentiment that the Republicans will be dominant for decades to come.  Either party will only be riding high for at most one decade at a time and that's pushing it.
I'm white and have not fled the party, guess I missed the memo...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »

When I see posts from liberals saying the GOP will die off when the old folks do, I laugh(and I'm very liberal)...right now, the only branch controlled by the Democratic party is the executive; the GOP control everything else..they also control 31 Governorships and 30 state legislatures....and thanks to gerrymandering, that control will not be relinqushed anytime soon..and as for demographics, White support for Democrats is collapsing at an astonishing rate..so much so that we could see a situation whereby the only white people who vote democratic are gay people and Jewish people...because of all this, I predict a republican gain in the house and senate in 2016

You don't really believe that gay and Jewish crack do you?  Surely you know better than that. Government workers who are white also have a strong interest in the Democratic agenda, along with much of the academic community, the few who still are in private industry unions, those who think global warming is a real threat to the planet, and that major policy changes should be made as a consequence, those who dislike the estrangement of the GOP from persons of color, and/or are concerned with the blurring of lines as they see it, between religious doctrine and secular, data based policy making. That is just off the top. I suspect the GOP is getting close to being maxed out on their share of the white vote, and that particularly as the generations come on and depart, the share of the white vote of the GOP will begin to start receding back. JMO.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 11:14:00 AM by CountryClassSF »

You know, it really bothers me as someone who supports traditional marriage that the GOP is surrendering on this for votes.  

Yet, the other day, an AIDS fundraiser was *cancelled* because they were angry that the gay host's fundraised for Ted Cruz.  So, AIDS benefits thrown overboard in a heartbeat because they hate the fact that the owners might support conservatives? We're not allowed to be friends w/ people who oppose SSM? As a gay person that sends chills down my spine.

I don't see the gay movement supporting "Gay marriage-friendly" Republicans. Look how well Neel Kashkari did in California.

When liberals go on rants about "white privilege," how does that make a blue collar worker in middle America feel?
aktheden
Rookie
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »

When I see posts from liberals saying the GOP will die off when the old folks do, I laugh(and I'm very liberal)...right now, the only branch controlled by the Democratic party is the executive; the GOP control everything else..they also control 31 Governorships and 30 state legislatures....and thanks to gerrymandering, that control will not be relinqushed anytime soon..and as for demographics, White support for Democrats is collapsing at an astonishing rate..so much so that we could see a situation whereby the only white people who vote democratic are gay people and Jewish people...because of all this, I predict a republican gain in the house and senate in 2016

You don't really believe that gay and Jewish crack do you?  Surely you know better than that. Government workers who are white also have a strong interest in the Democratic agenda, along with much of the academic community, the few who still are in private industry unions, those who think global warming is a real threat to the planet, and that major policy changes should be made as a consequence, those who dislike the estrangement of the GOP from persons of color, and/or are concerned with the blurring of lines as they see it, between religious doctrine and secular, data based policy making. That is just off the top. I suspect the GOP is getting close to being maxed out on their share of the white vote, and that particularly as the generations come on and depart, the share of the white vote of the GOP will begin to start receding back. JMO.
I am a  young minority Millennial who works with a lot of White Millennials and they seem to be flocking back to the GOP in droves especially after the recent police/black male shootings....many also seem to like lower taxes more than fighting climate change...it is really sad..and that is why i think the GOP will still make significant gains in the white vote...
CountryClassSF

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »

Then maybe the left can stop reflexively supporting stoking racial tensions and immediately attacking people like Ofc. Darren Wilson without having all the facts.  It's the left that constantly brings race to the forefront of everything, not Republicans.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:54 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 11:40:20 AM by Torie »

You don't really believe that gay and Jewish crack do you?  Surely you know better than that. Government workers who are white also have a strong interest in the Democratic agenda, along with much of the academic community, the few who still are in private industry unions, those who think global warming is a real threat to the planet, and that major policy changes should be made as a consequence, those who dislike the estrangement of the GOP from persons of color, and/or are concerned with the blurring of lines as they see it, between religious doctrine and secular, data based policy making. That is just off the top. I suspect the GOP is getting close to being maxed out on their share of the white vote, and that particularly as the generations come on and depart, the share of the white vote of the GOP will begin to start receding back. JMO.
I am a  young minority Millennial who works with a lot of White Millennials and they seem to be flocking back to the GOP in droves especially after the recent police/black male shootings....many also seem to like lower taxes more than fighting climate change...it is really sad..and that is why i think the GOP will still make significant gains in the white vote...

That's an interesting anecdote. Since your anecdote is after the most recent election, there is no data however to support it. We shall see. I strongly doubt it however. Probably the kids you observe, are not the type who would vote Democratic anyway. We shall see. How about my other points?
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:59 AM »

I am a  young minority Millennial who works with a lot of White Millennials and they seem to be flocking back to the GOP in droves especially after the recent police/black male shootings....many also seem to like lower taxes more than fighting climate change...it is really sad..and that is why i think the GOP will still make significant gains in the white vote...

"Flocking back to the GOP in droves?" We haven't even had a national elections since the police issue has been at the forefront of public discourse. And even in 2014, no single millennial actually cast a ballot.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »

I'm a single millennial and I cast a ballot. Didn't do much good, but I diiiid!
aktheden
Rookie
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »

That's an interesting anecdote. Since your anecdote is after the most recent election, there is no date however to support it. We shall see. I strongly doubt it however. Probably the kids you observe, are not the type who would vote Democratic anyway. We shall see. How about my other points?
I am beginning to think that when push comes to shove, Whites generally care more about lower taxes than they do the rights of minorities.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »

Reported for being a Talleyrand sock
CountryClassSF

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »

How dare the OP have a view you disagree with!
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2015, 12:05:10 PM »

You know, it really bothers me as someone who supports traditional marriage that the GOP is surrendering on this for votes.

Yet, the other day, an AIDS fundraiser was *cancelled* because they were angry that the gay host's fundraised for Ted Cruz.  So, AIDS benefits thrown overboard in a heartbeat because they hate the fact that the owners might support conservatives? We're not allowed to be friends w/ people who oppose SSM? As a gay person that sends chills down my spine.

I don't see the gay movement supporting "Gay marriage-friendly" Republicans. Look how well Neel Kashkari did in California.

Wait, so you're a gay person and are against SSM?

Also, Kashkari's opponent WAS Jerry Brown. No matter who the GOP could field, they were going to lose by doubt digits anyway. The GOP gripes about Kashkari should have been more about his economic policies, not social. There used to be a ton of pro-choice Republicans in the Senate (Hutchison, Spector, Simpson, Snowe), they're definitely a thing. Not to mention all the pro SSM Republicans evolving.

I'm a single millennial and I cast a ballot. Didn't do much good, but I diiiid!

I did too, and sent Jerry Brown back to Sacramento! Wink

I just don't see how you can make an argument that abysmal turnout isn't an asterisk for 2010 and 2014. I've personally never said that Republicans will never win, provided there continues to be extremely low turnout elections. But if everyone actually votes, Republicans get clobbered.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 12:12:55 PM »

Yeah, good for you. Keep up the hate and giving California's 5,000,000 Republicans incentive to leave this third world cesspit, so we can move somewhere else and change the direction of the country in the process
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »

There is pretty much nowhere left for Republicans to permanently gain white voters. They aren't going to ever win more than 60% of the white vote in a presidential election barring an unusual landslide.

I doubt Mitt Romney is going to be the upper limit.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2015, 12:27:11 PM »

Wait, so you're a gay person and are against SSM?

He's a parody troll, not a genuine person.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2015, 12:28:48 PM »

There is pretty much nowhere left for Republicans to permanently gain white voters. They aren't going to ever win more than 60% of the white vote in a presidential election barring an unusual landslide.

Do you think the Democratic candidate being African-American rather than white—as the 2016 nominee will be—might be a factor in Republicans' record performance among white votes in 2012?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 12:33:10 PM by shua »

Do you think the Democratic candidate being African-American rather than white—as the 2016 nominee will be—might be a factor in Republicans' record performance among white votes in 2012?

Yes, it might have been a factor - but one that was pretty much already in the 2008 recipe. Mitt Romney was not a great candidate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies