I see the GOP being the dominant Party in the US for decades to come (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:38:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I see the GOP being the dominant Party in the US for decades to come (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I see the GOP being the dominant Party in the US for decades to come  (Read 4992 times)
CountryClassSF

« on: April 25, 2015, 07:57:46 PM »
« edited: April 25, 2015, 07:59:21 PM by CountryClassSF »

Democrat Party's strategic obsession with racial demagoguery  and 'demographics' have caused a white exodus from the party.  They've been able to stem this enough to cobble together a coalition in presidential years by using the homosexual issue and making things up about the GOP about birth control, et al.

I do think that many Democrats do tend to be  overconfident - the midterm losses they suffered in the Obama years were nothing short of historic.  I think it was something like 900 state legislative seats. The difference is this time, the party has hopefully learned that we have a conservative for a candidate to bring a coalition of our own to the polls. Someone who is actually there to fight hard and win as opposed to a hard-left candidate like Romney or McCain.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:09:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

See though? A Republican win always has to have an asterisk behind it.  It can never be acknowledged that maybe the Democrats lost the argument for that cycle. 
CountryClassSF

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »

The pendulum swings both ways.  While the GOP may be gaining ground now, the pendulum will swing back to the Democrats.  It is certainly possible, if not likely, that we will have a Republican president in 2017, after a Republican has been in there for 4-8 years we'll see the pendulum start swinging back around the 6th year midterms, if not the 2nd year midterms.  In the last 40 years we have only had the pendulum stay on one side of the aisle longer than 8 years one time and that was 1981-1993 when Reagan and Bush were in office.  That's another part of the healthy checks and balances this country enjoys.  I reject the sentiment that the Democrats will be dominant for decades to come, but I also reject the sentiment that the Republicans will be dominant for decades to come.  Either party will only be riding high for at most one decade at a time and that's pushing it.

No doubt that that is all true.  But the difference in the Obama years is that the midterms didn't just have the usual handful of seats flip, they were massive wave elections -- but Republicans don't get "credit" for those. There's always a "reason" when Republicans win. Oh low turnout. Oh bad campaigns. When Democrats win, the media spends months talking about what the GOP did wrong and what demographic groups they did badly in. Zero talk about how white folks across the board, young, middle aged, and old have swung to GOP. None.

It's not so much about how both sides spin, but it's interesting how the Republicans get no credit for anything.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »

I see lots of things happening and both parties oscillating in share of power. Predicting dominance or demise for either the Democrats or the Republicans is an ever popular and ever futile exercise.

The other side does it way more than we do...
CountryClassSF

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »

The difference is that whites have permanently fled the Democratic Party

Except in New York. And Washington. And New England. And most of the Midwest. And Eastern Pennsylvania. And Urban Areas.

And well, anywhere that isn't the rural Deep South/Appalachia/Plains.

Except that because of polarization, liberal whites are attracted to those places.  Nationwide, the white vote is solid GOP - and that's because of the left's obsession with stoking racial tensions.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »

Oh, sorry.  I was saying that  the Democrats and the media essentially declared the Republican Party dead after the 2008 elections, followed by a record smashing midterm.  Declared the Republican Party demographically irrelevant after 2012, followed by a record smashing midterms. By all measures, we haven't seen such historic gains by the opposition party  in almost a century. Furthermore, nearly 900, IIRC, state legislative seats have flipped since 2008). Republican majorities, particularly in the House, are as high as they were during the 1st World War.

Yet the hypocrisy lies with Republican victories nearly universally being portrayed as "only because of low turnout," vs. a Democrat winning a national election by single digits is followed by a sweeping analysis of how the Republicans will never win again.

I'm sure some on our side did the same after the midterms, but I just don't see it as much I guess.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »

Both were de facto same-sex marriage supporters and neither proposed conservative tax cuts.  They were so wishy washy that they reinforced the meme that they were flip floppers.  If you think about it, even as a leftist, you have to be surprised that they're the best the Republicans could come up with vs Obama, who many of us think is dangerous to the country and the worst  President in history, we brought up two candidates with no desire to win or fight.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »

Except in New York. And Washington. And New England. And most of the Midwest. And Eastern Pennsylvania. And Urban Areas.

Except that because of polarization, liberal whites are attracted to those places.  Nationwide, the white vote is solid GOP - and that's because of the left's obsession with stoking racial tensions.

60% isn't solid GOP. The Democrats "problem" with whites comes entirely from the Deep South, Plains, and Appalachia.

I see White support for the Democratic Party collapsing in the Midwest...Just like it did in the South; That is the next Target for the racist wing of the GOP and I think they will pull it off...that is why they are so hellbent on destroying Unions..because Whites in unions tend to vote Democratic...no Unions, no White Democrats.

I know more white Democrats who aren't union members than I do white unionized Democrats.

I don't think I understand your point. Not trying to argue just not sure what you're saying.  I'm not sure where they come from is irrelevant, just citing national numbers. No, I don't think it's solid either, but it's certainly a trend that's been relatively constant post-2008.  And I attribute that to Democrats doing 100% of their outreach to minorities and others.  
CountryClassSF

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 11:12:10 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 11:14:00 AM by CountryClassSF »

You know, it really bothers me as someone who supports traditional marriage that the GOP is surrendering on this for votes.  

Yet, the other day, an AIDS fundraiser was *cancelled* because they were angry that the gay host's fundraised for Ted Cruz.  So, AIDS benefits thrown overboard in a heartbeat because they hate the fact that the owners might support conservatives? We're not allowed to be friends w/ people who oppose SSM? As a gay person that sends chills down my spine.

I don't see the gay movement supporting "Gay marriage-friendly" Republicans. Look how well Neel Kashkari did in California.

When liberals go on rants about "white privilege," how does that make a blue collar worker in middle America feel?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »

Then maybe the left can stop reflexively supporting stoking racial tensions and immediately attacking people like Ofc. Darren Wilson without having all the facts.  It's the left that constantly brings race to the forefront of everything, not Republicans.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »

I'm a single millennial and I cast a ballot. Didn't do much good, but I diiiid!
CountryClassSF

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »

How dare the OP have a view you disagree with!
CountryClassSF

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 12:12:55 PM »

Yeah, good for you. Keep up the hate and giving California's 5,000,000 Republicans incentive to leave this third world cesspit, so we can move somewhere else and change the direction of the country in the process
CountryClassSF

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »

Romney alienated many conservative whites because he worked overtime to abandon the base, and his GOTV operation crashed on election day.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 02:39:52 PM »

Admittedly, it's easier said than done lol
CountryClassSF

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »

Ohio great last year. Am happy to see folks like Josh Mandel in office - hope he runs for Senate again some other time
CountryClassSF

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »

I believe that the minority of white folks who still vote Democrat after and during the Obama era  racial demagoguery are likely doing so because of social liberalism
CountryClassSF

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »

I believe that the minority of white folks who still vote Democrat after and during the Obama era  racial demagoguery are likely doing so because of social liberalism
There are also people like me who are tired of the Republican hypocrisy of being always in favor of tax cuts while never putting forward real proposals for cutting programs.  They may be in favor of starving programs so they can be "examples" of government inefficiency, but rarely do they take the politically unpopular step of calling for outright elimination unless there is zero chance they would succeed.

I just don't trust Republicans to be fiscally responsible.

Well, I don't trust them either, because they're not.  They're all beholden to their donors. Personally I am a fan of tax cuts but not without a plan to pay for them.  

Unfortunately Social Security and Medicare entitlements have been engrained in American society for too long. Every time we try to explain that as social security approaches 100 years old in the next decade and a half, we may need to make some changes etc. to keep it sustained, we get blasted by the press and the Democrats and lose the argument.

I think SS turns 80 this year.

I think the Republicans are increasingly avoidant of anything that will anger the left.  This applies across the board.  But see, this is why I support the tea party =)
CountryClassSF

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »

Republican wins in 2010 and 2014 were legitimate, obviously. But you can't seriously argue they have a bigger mandate when Democrats comfortably won the last two elections that had WAY higher turnout. Higher turnout, bigger mandate, plain and simple. Call me when the "dominant" GOP comfortably wins a high turnout presidential election and we'll talk.

How do you know illegal aliens didn't vote in both? They sued to stop voter ID, how do we know they didn't vote?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »

And without tax incentives and a medit. climate, the tech giants would be out of here.  The left-wing despises them.  

Come down to San Francisco some time and look at our 3rd world public transit system, our 3rd world streets, our 3rd world homeless , that's your Democrat Party
CountryClassSF

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 10:32:36 AM »

You're correct-- The 59-60% figure was among white voters as a whole. NBC's exit poll had White 18-29ers at 51% Romney, 44% Obama

http://elections.nbcnews.com/ns/politics/2012/all/president/#.VT5WU63BzGc
CountryClassSF

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »

One voter disenfranchised by one non-citizen voter = too many.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies