Opinion of the FairTax
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:30:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of the FairTax
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Plan

Horrible Plan

Needs Work (Explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of the FairTax  (Read 2074 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »

What most of you are forgetting is that the FairTax is designed to replace not only income taxes but also payroll taxes, which are highly regressive. The result is that all income brackets see a net decrease in their tax burden:

This raises doubt on the claim that the proposal would be revenue-neutral, but it dispels the criticism that it would be regressive.

The graph conveniently stops at 60 years old because the creators don't want America to know what the Fair Tax actually does--it makes socially-secure seniors pay for Social Security and all of the retirement tax subsidies they enjoyed during they're younger years. This is the best feature of the Fair Tax, and the true origin of the 'fair' moniker.

The problem with the Fair Tax is that is suppresses output because it taxes excess supplies, unlike the income tax, which actually subsidizes excess, unsold inventory. Proponents argue that tax avoidance will streamline manufacturing and make America more competitive. Falling prices will eventually offset the tax. Detractors say that Fair taxation will lead to an exponential increase in prices as taxes rise and inventory declines. Furthermore, they say that 0% income tax will not be enough to attract capital and manufacturing to the US. Instead, manufacturing will continue to move overseas to avoid the ad valorem tax on imputed wages.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:35 AM »

What most of you are forgetting is that the FairTax is designed to replace not only income taxes but also payroll taxes, which are highly regressive. The result is that all income brackets see a net decrease in their tax burden:

This raises doubt on the claim that the proposal would be revenue-neutral, but it dispels the criticism that it would be regressive.

"Every single person pays less in taxes" only raises doubt on the claim of revenue neutrality?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2015, 11:48:04 AM by Deus Naturae »

"Every single person pays less in taxes" only raises doubt on the claim of revenue neutrality?
The revenue-neutrality claim is based on the expectation of an expanded tax base, but the tax itself would alter the amount that people spend on consumption so it's really impossible to predict.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 11:49:39 AM »

Stupid name, stupid idea, stupid tax
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »

It taxes illegal immigrants, which undermines the argument that they don't pay-in to our society. You want to help illegal immigrants and your country, don't you?
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »

I prefer consumption tax over income tax, but I am not so sure about the "FairTax". I don't really like the whole prebate thing. Really I don't like any kind of national tax. I would rather the states tax and then the federal government get money from the states based on population, or more ideally but less likely based on how their representatives vote.

And if you want to make it more progressive just charge a higher rate on luxury items like say televisions, computers, cellphones, etc. And do like some states do where food isn't taxed.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »

I prefer consumption tax over income tax, but I am not so sure about the "FairTax". I don't really like the whole prebate thing. Really I don't like any kind of national tax. I would rather the states tax and then the federal government get money from the states based on population, or more ideally but less likely based on how their representatives vote.

And if you want to make it more progressive just charge a higher rate on luxury items like say televisions, computers, cellphones, etc. And do like some states do where food isn't taxed.

It is 2015. Televisions, computers and cell phones are not luxuries. You're veering into Heritage Foundation territory and insinuating that the lazy poors should be grateful for having such frivolities as refrigerators in their kitchens and glass panes in their windows.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »

Daft
Representative MJM
mjmsh22
Rookie
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »

I really like the idea of a national consumption tax. My main problem is with the "prebates," because they are extremely small sums of money. I feel like they were just put there so they could put the label "progressive consumption tax" on the FairTax.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 12:54:38 AM »

It is 2015. Televisions, computers and cell phones are not luxuries. You're veering into Heritage Foundation territory and insinuating that the lazy poors should be grateful for having such frivolities as refrigerators in their kitchens and glass panes in their windows.

Cell phones, televisions, and computers exist in many forms. There are $800 cell phones and there are $50 pre paid cell phones. There are $300 computers and $2000 ones.

Are you going to argue a top of the line cell phone, computer, or television is not a luxury?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2015, 12:57:22 AM »

Cell phones, televisions, and computers exist in many forms. There are $800 cell phones and there are $50 pre paid cell phones. There are $300 computers and $2000 ones.

Are you going to argue a top of the line cell phone, computer, or television is not a luxury?

It's reflected in the fact the tax amount is higher for more expensive one. Let's suppose the tax is 10%. You pay 30$ of taxes for the 300$ one and 200$ for the 2000$ one.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 01:02:46 AM »

Computers are used for such luxury activities such as finding a job.  We can't have poors doing that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies