Opinion of the FairTax (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:51:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of the FairTax (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Plan

Horrible Plan

Needs Work (Explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of the FairTax  (Read 2112 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: April 26, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »

The fact that it is a progressive tax does not negate the fact that it shifts tax burden away from high-income earners and onto low-income earners. That's the issue most opponents of it have.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »

I prefer consumption tax over income tax, but I am not so sure about the "FairTax". I don't really like the whole prebate thing. Really I don't like any kind of national tax. I would rather the states tax and then the federal government get money from the states based on population, or more ideally but less likely based on how their representatives vote.

And if you want to make it more progressive just charge a higher rate on luxury items like say televisions, computers, cellphones, etc. And do like some states do where food isn't taxed.

It is 2015. Televisions, computers and cell phones are not luxuries. You're veering into Heritage Foundation territory and insinuating that the lazy poors should be grateful for having such frivolities as refrigerators in their kitchens and glass panes in their windows.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies