Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:52:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21  (Read 5700 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »

...wow, I'm actually agreeing with CountryClassSF here. The nanny state mentality that they've taken on in the past few years is one of the main reasons why I left the Democratic Party in the first place.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »

Cigarettes have no positive function in society.

I had a long day.  my wife wants me to stop at the grocery store to get dinner to cook as she's strung out on Valium and never gets off the couch.  I'm about ready to beat the bitch as I light up a smoke at 5:03pm as I get out the doors of my onerous workplace.  it's my first since noon; clears my head, calms me down.  I get a rotisserie chicken and find the strength to saute some asparagus.

never say never, son.
If this is your life I would consider getting medical and professional help. It really shouldn't be like this, and it wouldn't be like this if you had never smoked in the first place.

The only reason you feel like sh**t without a cigarette is because you started smoking them. The supply created the demand. And if you don't stop, you'll slowly be killing yourself.

"If you never smoked in the first place.." Great, maybe we can make a law where we go back in time and stop people from becoming addicted.

I think Tweed is not literally talking about himself pollspuff. 
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »

Anyway, we should clearly ban cigarettes and make people roll their own.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »

If people want to smoke, and are willing to accept the health risks, it should not be treated any differently than any other unhealthy activity.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 04:26:06 PM »

Dumb law, beautiful state.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »

Smart move. After all, we know how effective 21 and over laws are for alcohol.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »

Yeah, I definitely wasn't hammered as a nail Friday and yesterday Roll Eyes
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »

Hopefully you know I'm joking.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 05:21:24 PM »

#FirstWorldProblems.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 07:12:39 PM »

Hopefully you know I'm joking.
I know, I was just driving the point home to your detractors.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 07:17:21 PM »

I hold no malice for underage drinkers, and I understand why they drink in the face of the dangers, but I am not going to pin a medal on them for breaking alcohol laws and risking their own life in the process.

Drinking alcohol, if you're 21, is not illegal. I welcome responsible drinking and oppose prohibition. But anyone who refuses to wait until their 21st birthday is selfish, and yes, by definition of the law, criminal.

That’s fine. I don’t respect your position or you as a person. You are the moral equivalent of the ISI protecting Osama Bin Laden; you have no regard for the rule of law, and that is important for a truly free society.  
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 07:20:56 PM by evergreen »

u kno who else banned cigarettes??/? literally   hitler
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »

I hold no malice for underage drinkers, and I understand why they drink in the face of the dangers, but I am not going to pin a medal on them for breaking alcohol laws and risking their own life in the process.

Drinking alcohol, if you're 21, is not illegal. I welcome responsible drinking and oppose prohibition. But anyone who refuses to wait until their 21st birthday is selfish, and yes, by definition of the law, criminal.

That’s fine. I don’t respect your position or you as a person. You are the moral equivalent of the ISI protecting Osama Bin Laden; you have no regard for the rule of law, and that is important for a truly free society.  

Good job. 10/10.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »

Is that hell freezing over, or am I agreeing with Chairman Sanchez and CountryClassSF?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »

</thread>
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 03:49:42 AM »

Cigarettes have no positive function in society.

I had a long day.  my wife wants me to stop at the grocery store to get dinner to cook as she's strung out on Valium and never gets off the couch.  I'm about ready to beat the bitch as I light up a smoke at 5:03pm as I get out the doors of my onerous workplace.  it's my first since noon; clears my head, calms me down.  I get a rotisserie chicken and find the strength to saute some asparagus.

never say never, son.

Okay, there are legitimate arguments against this law, but this has to be one of the worst I've seen. "Cigarettes being legal is the only thing stopped me from beating my wife"?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 10:48:46 AM »

So rather than construct an actual argument you post a strawman that no one in this thread has said anything close to. The funny thing is that I can't tell whether you're deliberately using bad spelling to imitate a stupid person or just posting in your usual style.

Anyway, I feel like the anti-smoking crusaders don't realize that people who oppose these laws don't believe that cigarettes aren't unhealthy...they just believe that people should be allowed to engage in unhealthy behavior if they so choose. One's personal lifestyle is just a matter of cost/benefit analyses. Do I value the pleasure of smoking more than the negative health risks? Do I value the pleasure of eating more than fitness and physical attractiveness? The pleasure of playing contact sports more than the risk of injury? The answer to these questions is different for every person and the moral crusaders who want to regulate personal behavior are just assholes who can't mind their own business and feel the need to impose their own values and preferred lifestyle choices onto others.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 11:03:36 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2015, 11:05:20 AM by Matt from VT »

Seems reasonable. Anything and everything that isn't an outright ban on smoking should be done to discourage the cancer sticks. We should ban non-e-cigarettes, raise the age like here, and further increase tobacco taxes to bankruptcy levels while providing free and quality addiction counseling with state monies.

Go f**k yourself. I work full-time for awful pay, and am also a full-time student. I'm already (legally) restricted from drinking after a long day because of this type of bullshit fascism, (doesn't stop me because I'm not some nanny state believing tool) and now you idiots want to take away the only legal drug young people can use to help cope with this type of shit. Sounds like a perfect society to me! Let Mr. Bossman chomp on a cigar in his office while he's on the phone with the cops about some kid he caught with a cigarette out back. Trust me, I can make an informed decision without your help believe it or not.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 12:27:58 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2015, 12:29:47 PM by The Arizonan »

Are we slowly turning into that futuristic society from the movie Demolition Man in which everything is banned because "it's bad for you"? Everything in San Angeles was banned, including salt and meat. The last time I saw the movie, I didn't feel bad for Cocteau, the guy running the society, when he got shot by one of Wesley Snipe's character's buddies.

I don't care if it's bad for you. If someone wants to smoke a cigarette, by all means, let him or her smoke it. The person will probably stop smoking in the future anyway.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »

So rather than construct an actual argument you post a strawman that no one in this thread has said anything close to. The funny thing is that I can't tell whether you're deliberately using bad spelling to imitate a stupid person or just posting in your usual style.

Anyway, I feel like the anti-smoking crusaders don't realize that people who oppose these laws don't believe that cigarettes aren't unhealthy...they just believe that people should be allowed to engage in unhealthy behavior if they so choose. One's personal lifestyle is just a matter of cost/benefit analyses. Do I value the pleasure of smoking more than the negative health risks? Do I value the pleasure of eating more than fitness and physical attractiveness? The pleasure of playing contact sports more than the risk of injury? The answer to these questions is different for every person and the moral crusaders who want to regulate personal behavior are just assholes who can't mind their own business and feel the need to impose their own values and preferred lifestyle choices onto others.

Slight disagreement: it's more than just health risks. Cigs smell awful and make the environment around them so unpleasant. In cases of public smoking laws, it's too much of a nuisance to others to be up the smoker to decide. In the case of sales ban, private smoking can be for all ages for all I care.

I also support e-cigs in public since they are clean.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »

Seems reasonable. Anything and everything that isn't an outright ban on smoking should be done to discourage the cancer sticks. We should ban non-e-cigarettes, raise the age like here, and further increase tobacco taxes to bankruptcy levels while providing free and quality addiction counseling with state monies.

Go f**k yourself. I work full-time for awful pay, and am also a full-time student. I'm already (legally) restricted from drinking after a long day because of this type of bullshit fascism, (doesn't stop me because I'm not some nanny state believing tool) and now you idiots want to take away the only legal drug young people can use to help cope with this type of shit. Sounds like a perfect society to me! Let Mr. Bossman chomp on a cigar in his office while he's on the phone with the cops about some kid he caught with a cigarette out back. Trust me, I can make an informed decision without your help believe it or not.

Well, if you want to kill yourself with such crap, suit yourself. But sometimes the state does need to step in to stop behaviors, like smoking, which harm the common good.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2015, 04:31:13 PM »

Preventing people from doing unhealthy things to themselves is in the public interest.  I don't personally care if people smoke (though it significantly lowers my opinion of them), as long as it happens well away from me.  But more sick people increases medical costs for everybody else.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2015, 04:36:27 PM »

The problem with the alcohol comparison is alcohol is fun and tobacco isn't. If underage just drink illegally (not like getting alcohol is difficult) instead of smoking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies