Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:58:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21  (Read 5685 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:10:33 PM »

Horrible, awful decision.

I hate cigarettes, but this is the opposite direction we should be going in.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »

These policies are bad enough as they are, but this is the first one to add criminal penalties for legal adults possessing cigarettes. Horrible.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »

They should have raised it to 100.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:40:51 PM »

Of course, The Almighty State has the cure for every social ill, and if The Almighty State raises the age or illegalizes a certain product, then it vanishes into thin air.

After all, government knows best.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 09:45:19 PM »

Seems reasonable. Anything and everything that isn't an outright ban on smoking should be done to discourage the cancer sticks. We should ban non-e-cigarettes, raise the age like here, and further increase tobacco taxes to bankruptcy levels while providing free and quality addiction counseling with state monies.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »

If this happened in Kentucky there would be an uprising.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »

Seems reasonable. Anything and everything that isn't an outright ban on smoking should be done to discourage the cancer sticks. We should ban non-e-cigarettes, raise the age like here, and further increase tobacco taxes to bankruptcy levels while providing free and quality addiction counseling with state monies.

This is an outright ban on smoking, and possessing. It just exempts everyone over 21.  There's no rationale here. Why not ban it for everyone over 40 instead? It would have a bigger impact on tobacco deaths. Either is completely impractical, but if you ban something for young people instead of older adults somehow it seems less crazy.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »

I assume the rationale here is to get them out of high schools?

I realize it won't completely eliminate them from schools, but it will decrease them, since high school students won't be able to legally buy them anymore.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »

Stupid decision. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 10:30:44 PM »

It's not necessarily an arbitrary decision; studies have shown that 21 is a pretty firm line at which your likelihood of becoming a smoker decreases exponentially if you have not already picked up a cigarette. 90% of cigarette smokers began smoking before they turned 21.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »

I think this is a wise decision. Hawaii should have the right to ban cigarettes within its borders. It has no obligation to contribute to cases of lung cancer, which may invariably cost the state more. This is, in that larger sense, a smart move.

Cigarettes have no positive function in society.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 10:41:57 PM »

a bit more difficult to get around than the dual NYC-Suffolk County ban for under-21s.  Nassau County remains the age-19 island and I'm sure the convenience stores are quite happy for that.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 10:44:01 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as to say this decision is "horrible". I won't exactly be kept awake at night shivering in a cold sweat about 18-20 year olds now not being able to legally buy smokes in Hawaii...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 10:44:16 PM »

I had a long day.  my wife wants me to stop at the grocery store to get dinner to cook as she's strung out on Valium and never gets off the couch.  I'm about ready to beat the bitch as I light up a smoke at 5:03pm as I get out the doors of my onerous workplace.  it's my first since noon; clears my head, calms me down.  I get a rotisserie chicken and find the strength to saute some asparagus.

never say never, son.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 10:51:08 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2015, 10:52:48 PM by Reagan Revolutionary »

I had a long day.  my wife wants me to stop at the grocery store to get dinner to cook as she's strung out on Valium and never gets off the couch.  I'm about ready to beat the bitch as I light up a smoke at 5:03pm as I get out the doors of my onerous workplace.  it's my first since noon; clears my head, calms me down.  I get a rotisserie chicken and find the strength to saute some asparagus.

never say never, son.

I'm not disagreeing that in that scenario cigarettes are relief. But come on, many things can take the place of cigarettes. A quick run, breathing exercises, etc. It's about conditioning the body to recognize other mediums of stress relief.

That cigarette is not worth it, especially when you know it's going to cause cancer down the road.

More importantly, the state has a right to eliminate toxic things from society, that have no redeeming benefits, especially if the state ends up having to subsidize the treatment for said behaviors. While that's a bit of an authoritarian statement, cigarettes are one way to apply this philosophy for the better good, for example. We don't allow people to drink drano, why do we allow people to smoke?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »

never say never, son.

I'm not disagreeing that in that scenario cigarettes are relief. But come on, many things can take the place of cigarettes. A quick run, breathing exercises, etc. It's about conditioning the body to recognize other mediums of stress relief.

That cigarette is not worth it, especially when you know it's going to cause cancer down the road.

More importantly, the state has a right to eliminate toxic things from society, that have no redeeming benefits, especially if the state ends up having to subsidize the treatment for said behaviors. While that's a bit of an authoritarian statement, cigarettes are one way to apply this philosophy for the better good, for example. We don't allow people to drink drano, why do we allow people to smoke?

There are laws prohibiting the drinking of drano?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 11:22:46 PM »

The government should have the right to ban harmful substances, and I would have no issue with a ban on tobacco products except from the "criminalizing these substances does more harm than good" perspective that is the same issue I have with the drug war.

The government should NOT have the right to strip the right to buy products from legal adults in the name of "for your own good". It's the retroactive exclusion of people from their rights that is the issue here, not the substance. I feel the same way about drinking laws, but at least there it can be argued there's a public safety issue.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »

What Hawaii really needs to do is raise the age to buy SPAM™ to 21.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 11:47:54 PM »

As if the State of Hawaii needed another reason to make the Native Hawaiians mad.

In any case, this is probably for the best. I am surprised though that Hawaii is the first to do this... you would think it'd be California or somewhere else.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 03:27:46 AM »

you would prefer me not smoke the cigarette and take out the aggression on my half-tranquilized wife, instead of calming down and making a half-decent meal for the two of us?  how can you say that cigarette is not worth it?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 04:45:21 AM »

you would prefer me not smoke the cigarette and take out the aggression on my half-tranquilized wife, instead of calming down and making a half-decent meal for the two of us?  how can you say that cigarette is not worth it?

That's a false choice.

I've been watching a lot of local news lately and all of the human interest stories invariably involve one of the men blaming their shitty behavior on alcohol.  'You know, I'd get to drinking and then I'd start to smack her around a bit...'

The day that all of these reprehensible excuses for human beings take responsibility for themselves and stop blaming their violence on substances will be a truly great one.  Wake me when that day comes.  But let's not pretend that in your scenario here, this dickhead of a character isn't going to beat his wife some other night if not that night where he has his cigarette of relief at 5:03pm.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 05:23:02 AM »

@Vega, I imagine this is primarily aimed at Natives, no? Sort of how most Alaska boroughs are Prohibitionist?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »

@Vega, I imagine this is primarily aimed at Natives, no? Sort of how most Alaska boroughs are Prohibitionist?

Yeah, that is kinda accurate.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »

kudos to hawaii. 
CountryClassSF

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »

A fine example of the liberal nanny state run amok