Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:47:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21  (Read 5765 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: April 27, 2015, 10:48:46 AM »

u kno who else banned cigarettes??/? literally   hitler
So rather than construct an actual argument you post a strawman that no one in this thread has said anything close to. The funny thing is that I can't tell whether you're deliberately using bad spelling to imitate a stupid person or just posting in your usual style.

Anyway, I feel like the anti-smoking crusaders don't realize that people who oppose these laws don't believe that cigarettes aren't unhealthy...they just believe that people should be allowed to engage in unhealthy behavior if they so choose. One's personal lifestyle is just a matter of cost/benefit analyses. Do I value the pleasure of smoking more than the negative health risks? Do I value the pleasure of eating more than fitness and physical attractiveness? The pleasure of playing contact sports more than the risk of injury? The answer to these questions is different for every person and the moral crusaders who want to regulate personal behavior are just assholes who can't mind their own business and feel the need to impose their own values and preferred lifestyle choices onto others.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »

Preventing people from doing unhealthy things to themselves is in the public interest.  I don't personally care if people smoke (though it significantly lowers my opinion of them), as long as it happens well away from me.  But more sick people increases medical costs for everybody else.
The fact that our medical system is structured in such a way that individual health costs are externalized onto everyone else is a problem in itself. It would be better to seek to change that rather than restrict personal freedom and choice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies