Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:06:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21  (Read 5762 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: April 27, 2015, 04:31:13 PM »

Preventing people from doing unhealthy things to themselves is in the public interest.  I don't personally care if people smoke (though it significantly lowers my opinion of them), as long as it happens well away from me.  But more sick people increases medical costs for everybody else.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:43:25 PM »

Preventing people from doing unhealthy things to themselves is in the public interest.  I don't personally care if people smoke (though it significantly lowers my opinion of them), as long as it happens well away from me.  But more sick people increases medical costs for everybody else.
The fact that our medical system is structured in such a way that individual health costs are externalized onto everyone else is a problem in itself. It would be better to seek to change that rather than restrict personal freedom and choice.

No.  No, no no no.  Sorry, Yellow Avatar, but societal sharing of medical expenses is extremely necessary.  Otherwise people who have chronic health problems get raped by medical bills, meanwhile those who won the DNA lottery are set for life.  This is exactly why the clause that banned 'pre-existing conditions' precluding you from coverage is one of the most popular parts of Obamacare.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »

Anti-Smoking is lot like the religious right for Democrats.

The Republican rank and file actually agree with the Republicans on a lot of religious right issues.

Rank and file Democrats don't care about the issue of smoking, the leadership only takes the position they do because of trial lawyers.

... What?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies