Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:49:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21  (Read 5754 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 25, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »

What Hawaii really needs to do is raise the age to buy SPAM™ to 21.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »

u kno who else banned cigarettes??/? literally   hitler
</thread>
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »

I understand wanting to stop kids from smoking, I get that. But the age of majority in this country is 18 for f**k's sake.

Yes. This.
Granted, we probably ought to raise the age of majority to at least 19, if not 21. After all, the rational used to ram thru the 26th amendment no longer applies since there is no draft. Not that I think it'll ever happen in my life.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:55:07 PM »

I understand wanting to stop kids from smoking, I get that. But the age of majority in this country is 18 for f**k's sake.

Yes. This.
Granted, we probably ought to raise the age of majority to at least 19, if not 21. After all, the rational used to ram thru the 26th amendment no longer applies since there is no draft. Not that I think it'll ever happen in my life.

... No? Considering that you can work and become part of "the system" at 16, if anything we should be moving the other way with the age of majority. Even if we don't go that path, it at least needs to stay at 18, since this is when most people graduate high school and go off to college and all that moving onto making your own choices. Oh yes, and the fact that pretty much literally every country in the world has it at 18.
[/quote]
The everyone else does it argument? Really?

The age of majority is supposed to reflect when most people are capable of being independent adults. That certainly does not include people still in high school, which is why I favor making it at least 19. For those younger than that who need independence sooner than the age of majority, that is what emancipation of minors is for.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 05:08:11 PM »

Yes. This.

... No? Considering that you can work and become part of "the system" at 16, if anything we should be moving the other way with the age of majority. Even if we don't go that path, it at least needs to stay at 18, since this is when most people graduate high school and go off to college and all that moving onto making your own choices. Oh yes, and the fact that pretty much literally every country in the world has it at 18.

The age of majority is supposed to reflect when most people are capable of being independent adults. That certainly does not include people still in high school, which is why I favor making it at least 19. For those younger than that who need independence sooner than the age of majority, that is what emancipation of minors is for.
Why not? We consider high schoolers responsible enough to have jobs and drive, which seems to me like it requires a lot more responsibility than what's needed to sit at home and smoke a cigarette
[/quote]
Arguably deciding to start smoking is a clear sign of immaturity and irresponsibility.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:54:09 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes. This.

Why not? We consider high schoolers responsible enough to have jobs and drive, which seems to me like it requires a lot more responsibility than what's needed to sit at home and smoke a cigarette
Arguably deciding to start smoking is a clear sign of immaturity and irresponsibility.
[/quote]
That doesn't address my point
[/quote]
Yes it does.  Your point is that because people are mature enough to be entrusted with some responsibilities, it means they should be trusted with all responsibilities.  I disagreed, using the decision to start smoking as an example of why people that age should be fully entrusted.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies