What exactly will Republicans run on?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:58:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What exactly will Republicans run on?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What exactly will Republicans run on?  (Read 3134 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »

Being serious:

- balancing the budget by some arbitrary figure, maybe 2020.
- although the GOP probably won't actually close the EPA, for electability's sake, they will probably order the rescinding of mercury regulations on coal plants and refuse to count CO2 as a pollutant. Coal is dead with or without the government, but the War On Coal is still a good talking point.
- privatisation of Social Security, and raising the retirement age
- some kind of genetic anti-welfare move like making increasingly arbitrary requirements for food stamps.
- cutting corperate tax to Canada levels, possibly lower.
- although some elements of Obamacare will be retained, the less popular parts like the mandate and the medical equipment tax will be expunged.
- more fellation of Bibi
- declaring the Iran treaty null and void.
- national right-to-work
- even more invested in deporting teh migrants

That's pretty much a moderate GOP platform that has a handful of sweeties for the base, some goodies for the doboes, but refuses to go all the way to unsettle the dwindling swing population.

There would need to be some honey to swallow the stuff the general population doesn't really like, like jiggling with retirement funds. A war? A moon base? Another Mount Rushmore? God knows.

This actually sounds like a coherent strategy for the GOP.  The only thing that may not work is more warmongering.  It's been successful for the GOP in the past, but it won't be successful now, as Americans are pretty tired of fighting other people's wars.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »

If Rand Paul, foreign policy and civil liberties could sink Hillary.

Paul's position on foreign policy is pretty much the same as Clintons. He supports aid for Israel, he supports air strikes against ISIS.

This isn't 2012, and Rand Paul isn't radical anymore

Except he has been outspoken in opposition against her time as Secretary of State, but OK. And can you elaborate on Rand Paul being radical before?

As many others here said, Republicans will run on mainly not being Democrats.

This.  A few thoughts:
1. No 3rd Obama term!
2. You can't trust Hillary!
3. Obama doubled our debt!  Balance the budget!
4. Leadership against ISIS/Benghazi
5. Stop Obamacare!
6. Cut taxes, create jobs!

Benghazi
Benghazi
Benghazi
Benghazi
Benghazi
Benghazi
Benghazi
Benghazi
Benghazi

On a serious note, they'll run on undoing the Obama presidency, and I believe them. They're going to undo a 4% unemployment rate, they'll undo health coverage for 90% of Americans, they'll undo marriage equality, they'll undo the Dow being at its highest level ever, they'll undo higher consumer confidence, they'll undo our record of not defaulting on our debt. I believe them, I sincerely believe in my heart that a Republican president/Congress will do these things.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »

Somehow I doubt the current weariness with conflict among the U.S. populace is anything more than remaining shell-shock from the hideously botched Wars of the Bush Admin. The public still distrusts Russia and China, and ISIS is a threat with the potential to be a breeding ground for terrorists. Although I don't think Americans can stomach the dead Of Iraq and Afghanistan, I can imagine the GOP placing ground troops with some public approval. Also, you need tp to appreciate that not everything the Republicans do is with the public's approval in mind. The neocons are quietened since the downfall of Cheney-Rumsfeld, but they still have a lingering influence in the party's upper echelons.

The other thing I barely mentioned was treats for the religious right. Although I think the rhetoric around abortion will still be going on, I doubt it will have much impact on federal law. Partly because I'm unsure about how any bills will work (probably a revival of the Partial Birth Ban or whatever it was called) , but also because I think the GOP doesn't want to lose this wedge issue. It's a great mobiliser and it keeps a lot of important groups in line.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »

Hillary does not have less baggage than Obama.

Thanks for calling in.  Care to explain that position? 

- The murder of Vince Foster
- The rape of Chelsea Clinton
- Whitewater
- Assaulting Bill Clinton in a domestic dispute.

Geeze the lists of Clinton scandals is long.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »

Thanks for calling in.  Care to explain that position? 

- Whitewater

Who said this?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 06:34:40 PM »

Thanks for calling in.  Care to explain that position?  

- Whitewater

Who said this?
Someone making something up about the Clintons? Blasphemy!
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 06:53:01 PM »

- Whitewater

Who said this?

LOL, that post was irony. There was some rumor spread back in the 90's by some Republicans about Hillary raping Chelsea.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »

- Whitewater

Who said this?

LOL, that post was irony. There was some rumor spread back in the 90's by some Republicans about Hillary raping Chelsea.

Hrmm, I always thought it was Hillary raping cattle or something like that.  Wasn't this supposed to be the future of cattle?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »

Also, you need tp to appreciate that not everything the Republicans do is with the public's approval in mind.

We are told that there is no need to worry about campaign finance reform because politicians don't do anything that isn't popular with the public.  They neglect to tell you that there are huge amounts of legistlation, that frequently favor special interests that are hidden as riders in bills that hardly anybody ever finds out about.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »

...less baggage?

This is the Clintons we're talking about. They've been drenched in scandal for literally decades.

And how many of these "scandals" actually stuck again?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 10:36:42 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 11:53:18 PM by Ogre Mage »

Obama is an evil communist from Kenya, Hillary is a corrupt communist from Lesbia, they are weakening America from within.  White Christians are threatened by evil minorities and evil homosexuals.  We are sliding toward Sodom and Gomorrah.  Benghazi.  Obamacare evil.  STOP THE MARXIST REVOLUTION.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 01:13:26 AM »

White Christians are threatened by evil minorities and evil homosexuals.  We are sliding toward Sodom and Gomorrah.

If white Christians were merely threatened by them, that would be okay, but they're going to be sent to jail!
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 02:21:05 AM »

You Dems r Hillary-ious😀 besides Whitewater, Vince Foster...what about Emailgate? Influence peddling...quid pro quo over Haiti,  Uranium One being sold to Russia after sweetheart deal with Kazakhstan, Digicell, Peter Giustra, Bill's speaking fees jumping to $500-750K the minute Hillary becomes Secretary of State...what about Tony Rodham (Hillary's brother getting a job on board of a mining company, Benghazi...no wonder Hillary deleted her emails...wonder why....oh yeah I know, "to protect her privacy" Give me a break....yeah right folks! & I believe in the tooth fairy!😂😃😁 really? Why don't all of you Clintonista's get your head out of the sand & read Peter Schweitzer's book,  "Clinton Ca$h", he went to the Washington Post,  New York Times, CBS & even FOX & they gave all the all clear. But just read the book & see if you like the optics,  when 51% of potential voters say Hillary isn't trustworthy,  I wonder why.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »

Heatmaster, the question was what will the Republicans run on not what will they attack Hillary on.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2015, 09:23:14 AM by 2016election »

Hmmm gap betweeon the rich and poor is the greatest its been in my life time..

Stock market has gone nuts under obama and guess who has their money there? The rich and wall street not the middle class family.

The world is a pretty crazy place right now, def. need America to step up their foreign policy strength before something happens that changes the world as we know it (Yes im looking at you Iran and your nuclear weapons).

Polls are showing Rubio gaining toward the front of the pack as i've been saying he would. He's the perfect nominee to run against Hilary.

The guy that came from nothing, literally, understands how the middle class is suffering today and the first hispanic president of the United States....vs Hillary the 1%er who has been giving one hour speeches being paid between ($250K - $500K). She sound similar to someone the republicans just ran?! Sounds like Wall Streets choice hmmmmm

first hispanic president vs first female president. That will be your 2016 election and it should be a good one!!
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »

Good point King, the record speaks for itself. We are not the United States of America as Obama once advocated. We as a party should speak about how divided this country is. Diversity shouldn't be a political buzz word, but a reality. The campaign should be less of what is wrong & what can be made right and what will be right. If Hillary and Obama want to campaign on fear and sowing division, let them be seen doing such. If Rubio or Bush wins the nod, then the debate should and must be elevated,  so instead of race or sex being thrown around, distinctions should be made on what was offered & promised and what was delivered and not on those grounds Democrats love to campaign on.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »

Things are bad, too many people are out of work, we need more jobs, etc.  Are we really going to give Democrats four more years to implement their policies?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »

Things are bad, too many people are out of work, we need more jobs, etc.  Are we really going to give Democrats four more years to implement their policies?

That plan will work just as it well as it did for Romney. You actually need a message, or a positive plan, or something.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »

Good point King, the record speaks for itself. We are not the United States of America as Obama once advocated. We as a party should speak about how divided this country is. Diversity shouldn't be a political buzz word, but a reality. The campaign should be less of what is wrong & what can be made right and what will be right. If Hillary and Obama want to campaign on fear and sowing division, let them be seen doing such. If Rubio or Bush wins the nod, then the debate should and must be elevated,  so instead of race or sex being thrown around, distinctions should be made on what was offered & promised and what was delivered and not on those grounds Democrats love to campaign on.
You are massively deluded.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »

Polls are showing Rubio gaining toward the front of the pack as i've been saying he would. He's the perfect nominee to run against Hilary.

The guy that came from nothing, literally, understands how the middle class is suffering today and the first hispanic president of the United States....vs Hillary the 1%er who has been giving one hour speeches being paid between ($250K - $500K). She sound similar to someone the republicans just ran?! Sounds like Wall Streets choice hmmmmm

1.HRC also came from pretty much nothing and, even more so, did Bill Clinton.

2.Nothing I've seen from Rubio has rebutted my previous view of him as nothing more than a genuinely stupid empty suit.

3.Except that it's Rubio who supports all the policies favored by Wall Street and all his policies would widen, not reduce, the gap between the 1% and everybody else.  Of course, given that it's Rubio he probably doesn't even realize this.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »

The script to the worst TED Talk ever.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies