Do you reveal your political map nerd power level in public?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:40:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you reveal your political map nerd power level in public?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In the quote below, would you have corrected the person or not?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Do you reveal your political map nerd power level in public?  (Read 1460 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:02:17 AM »
« edited: April 26, 2015, 01:04:25 AM by Bacon King »

Inspired by this:

One thing I have learned is never to try talking to real British people about the election (outside of this forum, o/c), as it turns out that I actually know more about it than they do.  One person today claimed that UKIP were poised to win, and any other party's victory meant that the UK was "guaranteed" to join the Eurozone within the next few years.  I thanked them for helping a stupid American understand these real truths.

Are you the kind of person who would go, "well, actually..." or would you do what Joe did? How often do you talk politics in real life with people from other parts of the country/world that you should have no real reason knowing about? What's the most you've ever done to expose your power level?

Discuss with maps!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:08:01 AM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:16:39 AM »

^Well, actually Wyoming hasn't voted Democrat since 1964, so your map is completely stupid. Read a Wikipedia article or something, genius. (Option 1)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:17:30 AM »

I don't really talk about politics in real life. In college all you can say is "legalize marijuana" and you don't offend anyone.

As for maps? One time I smoked way too much and thought I would impress a girl by sperging about Malaysia. Complete with maps. Sometimes I can be serviceable - even smooth. Other times, I do this.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:24:59 AM »

^Well, actually Wyoming hasn't voted Democrat since 1964, so your map is completely stupid. Read a Wikipedia article or something, genius. (Option 1)

wtf
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 01:28:20 AM »

My preferred way of displaying political knowledge is through weird references to past presidential administrations.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:32:07 AM »

wtf

I was correcting a stupid map/projection like the question was asking if we do. I know it wasnt a real map, but you set me up for it. Poor attempt as humour I suppose.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:51:45 AM »

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:14:11 AM »

"Actually" is one of the most used words in my arsenal.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 04:18:13 AM »

In high school some extremely conservative girl told me that Christine O'Donnell was going to win (her father lived in DE.) I just smiled and nodded, but I definitely was tempted to go on an Atlas-esque rant about the polls...
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 04:26:24 AM »

Most of my friends have an least competent understanding of politics but in the rare event where I talk to someone who doesn't about it I'll try to subtly guide them towards correctness without being blatant about it. Basic social skills and what not.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 04:48:07 AM »

I correct misconceptions about US politics made by Australians all the time.  I also correct them on misconceptions about Australian politics, but perhaps with less fervor.

I'm fairly open about my interests.  It's the only way people won't talk to me about sports.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 09:23:36 AM »

Just the other day, I told my Civics teacher I believed Scott Walker would be the Republican nominee, and he shrugged me off as if I didn't know what I was talking about and said he was predicting Chris Christie.

I just kept quiet and fumed. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »

Generally I avoid discussing politics unless somebody else brings it up first.  If they're just asking for information then I'm happy to help as best I can.  But if they're just mouthing off their opinions, which 99% of the time are woefully misinformed and utterly incoherent, I often have to bite my tongue lest I start sounding like the condescending asshole that I am but secretly hide.

The exception to that is my uncle-in-law; a devoted Fox News acolyte.  I'm quite happy to get into it with him, as frankly I'm amazed at some of the stuff he spouts.  Like I honestly think he's just f[inks]ing with me half the time.  Sharia law, Obummercare death panels, Ted Cruz will be the next president, etc.  He's a good reminder that all the stereotypes we make fun of on this forum actually do exist in real life.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 11:07:51 AM »

Inspired by this:

One thing I have learned is never to try talking to real British people about the election (outside of this forum, o/c), as it turns out that I actually know more about it than they do.  One person today claimed that UKIP were poised to win, and any other party's victory meant that the UK was "guaranteed" to join the Eurozone within the next few years.  I thanked them for helping a stupid American understand these real truths.

Are you the kind of person who would go, "well, actually..." or would you do what Joe did? How often do you talk politics in real life with people from other parts of the country/world that you should have no real reason knowing about? What's the most you've ever done to expose your power level?

Discuss with maps!

All the time actually. It is just the way that I am wired. I just enjoy getting discussions started on such topics.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 11:42:59 AM »

Actually, yesterday I was talking with someone who thought Hillary Clinton was "certain" to lose; using my credentials as someone who "doesn't like Clinton at all," I said she's currently leading nearly all general election polls and the GOP has an uphill climb to win in 2016. 

Maps?  No, I've never done that. 
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »

I rarely discuss elections with people in the outside world
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 12:53:36 PM »

Honestly, I'm not all that into maps enough to splurge about them in public.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »

I often have to hold my tongue when talking about international politics in front of others. At best you look slightly peculiar ranking all your favourite Portuguese parties to a random girl you meet in a club (I was really drunk), and at worse you can get actually offend people.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 01:18:37 PM »

Generally I avoid discussing politics unless somebody else brings it up first.  If they're just asking for information then I'm happy to help as best I can.  But if they're just mouthing off their opinions, which 99% of the time are woefully misinformed and utterly incoherent, I often have to bite my tongue lest I start sounding like the condescending asshole that I am but secretly hide.

The exception to that is my uncle-in-law; a devoted Fox News acolyte.  I'm quite happy to get into it with him, as frankly I'm amazed at some of the stuff he spouts.  Like I honestly think he's just f[inks]ing with me half the time.  Sharia law, Obummercare death panels, Ted Cruz will be the next president, etc.  He's a good reminder that all the stereotypes we make fun of on this forum actually do exist in real life.

Oh my god, I can't believe I haven't seen that article before. That was hilarious.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

In high school, I once had a five-minute argument with a friend over who won Ohio in 2012.  I kept telling him to listen to me because I knew how all states had voted for the last several cycles, but he kept insisting he remembered someone saying Romney won Ohio.  I don't think I managed to convince him.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »

I don't talk politics unless someone else brings it up or I'm with good friends, since it's not a great topic for RL conversation. I will often downplay/avoid talking about my opposition to gay marriage, but other than that I'm basically open about what I believe. Maps/Predictions never come up as a topic of discussion at my college , and I don't bring it up either.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »

Just the other day, I told my Civics teacher I believed Scott Walker would be the Republican nominee, and he shrugged me off as if I didn't know what I was talking about and said he was predicting Chris Christie.

I just kept quiet and fumed. Tongue
This kind of thing annoys me so much. There are people I've talked to who still think Christie is going to win or insisted that Warren was going to run and so forth. Argh.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2016, 11:47:10 PM by LeBron FitzGerald »

Last year in the Fall 2014 semester in my state and local government class, my professor (who's a Democratic City Councilman) constantly made fun of Ed FitzGerald's flopped 2014 gubernatorial candidacy. His jokes were pretty good (though it was pretty easy to make jokes at Fitzy's candidacy) and most of us in the class (including myself) usually took part in the jokes on him.

I never talk about politics all that much in real life though, unless there's an upcoming major election or someone else brings it up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies