Do you support the concept of the death penalty?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support the concept of the death penalty?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you support it? Do you consider yourself religious?
Yes, religious

Yes, not religious

No, religious

No, not religious

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Do you support the concept of the death penalty?  (Read 2895 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

No (not religious).  Though I do make an exception for honest-to-God cases of genocide, e.g. the Nuremburg trials.

Good point, me too actually.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »

Voted option 3, don't consider myself religious but would be for sake of the poll.

lol

Anyway, no, I don't support the death penalty in any circumstance and am not religious.

Jesus was quite anti-religion. You can follow religion or follow Jesus but not both.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 05:05:58 PM »

I've made clear my opposition to the death penalty that's based on institutional reasons (society can never apply the death penalty perfectly).  I've also stated that I personally believe some people are bad enough that they deserve to die, so I voted option 1.  Then again, I could have voted option 3  since I'm not sure if I condone people ever killing people, even in a perfect system (maybe that's God's role).  Not sure.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »

As a Christian, I oppose the death penalty on religious grounds because I believe it is inconsistent with the mercy and forgiveness that God shows us and calls us to share.  Nobody is beyond redemption for God, so for the government to decide that someone is puts them in His place.  The Lord's Prayer says, "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors."  When Jesus was on the cross, he said, "Father, forgive them."  And when an adulterous woman was brought to Jesus, He forgave her and told her accusers that "He who is without sin should throw the first stone."  Yes, I realize that God provided for the death penalty in the Old Testament, but He was the one doing it, not the government.  And besides, we are no longer under the Old Covenant.  Furthermore, we all deserved to die for our sins, but Jesus came to cancel that punishment and to forgive us.  If God didn't put us to death, then why should we do it to others?  If an unrepentant, unbelieving criminal is executed, then we are cutting of his/her chance at salvation.

Plus, I would argue that life in prison without parole is a more severe punishment.  Personally, if I were convicted of a crime, I would rather die than spend the rest of my life locked up in a prison cell.

As for the political side, I do recognize that there are some cases where convicts will not repent or change their hearts, and may even request death, so I believe it is best left to the states.  I'm not comfortable with the federal government using a "one size fits all" policy of death penalty or no death penalty. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »

Voted option 3, don't consider myself religious but would be for sake of the poll.

lol

Anyway, no, I don't support the death penalty in any circumstance and am not religious.

Jesus was quite anti-religion. You can follow religion or follow Jesus but not both.

What's your definition of "religion" and "religious" in this case?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 12:54:47 AM »

No (not religious).  Though I do make an exception for honest-to-God cases of genocide, e.g. the Nuremburg trials.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »

No, in neither case. It's not that I'd be pity for genocides if they are executed, but I prefer life sentence for them. Not particularly religious.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 12:26:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]