Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D) proposes national online voter registration bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:23:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D) proposes national online voter registration bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D) proposes national online voter registration bill  (Read 1248 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »

This isn't talking about online voting. It's talking about online voter registration.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »

This isn't talking about online voting. It's talking about online voter registration.

It hasn't worked out very well for California.  All it does is encourage.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »

I don't have even a single clue what you're talking about.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »

Doesn't the Constitution pretty much leave the issue of registration up to the states, so long as there is not an equal protection issue?  This is more an issue of convenience. The poor are less likely to have computers and the identifications like drivers licenses that would be necessary for online registration.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 12:11:42 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2015, 12:13:17 PM by Torie »

Doesn't the Constitution pretty much leave the issue of registration up to the states, so long as there is not an equal protection issue?  This is more an issue of convenience. The poor are less likely to have computers and the identifications like drivers licenses that would be necessary for online registration.

Good point, but the Feds can always get it done by handing out money to the states, assuming it is not unduly coercive. As a Constitutional matter, aside from that, there might be a distinction between elections for state office and federal office. I don't know. The Bill seems to have both a carrot (legal) and a stick (maybe not legal, but the text may also be sloppily written in the article posted).
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »

Doesn't the Constitution pretty much leave the issue of registration up to the states, so long as there is not an equal protection issue?  This is more an issue of convenience. The poor are less likely to have computers and the identifications like drivers licenses that would be necessary for online registration.

Good point, but the Feds can always get it done by handing out money to the states, assuming it is not unduly coercive. As a Constitutional matter, aside from that, there might be a distinction between elections for state office and federal office. I don't know.

Well, the federal government has ultimate authority to legislate for federal elections per the often overlooked bolded part of Section 4.1 of Article I: "The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing [sic] Senators."

As far as that applies to voter registration for federal elections, I'm not entirely sure.

Surprisingly enough, Georgia established online voter registration last year.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »

I would support a ballot initiative eliminating "election month" in California. Vote on Election Day or vote absentee only if you're out of precinct.  And show your picture ID. You have 2 whopping years between cycles to fill out a voter registration form.  If people are too uninformed to do that, I don't want them making decisions for our state.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 12:28:36 PM »

It hasn't worked out very well for California.  All it does is encourage.

Indeed, making voter registration easier does encourage people to vote.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sorry I didn't finish the sentence I guess. I mean encourage opportunities for fraud.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »

Sorry I didn't finish the sentence I guess. I mean encourage opportunities for fraud.

That's like saying the building of homes encourages burglary.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 01:33:44 PM »

I still haven't gotten an answer from CountryClassSF on this:
It's reality. It's naive if you think that voter integrity won't be compromised with being able to click a button online. Democrats want to make it easier to cheat, and it is very, very disturbing. Republicans never should have went for "early voting," "Provisional voting," and "no excuse absentee voting." Sane societies do not understand our voting system. Even the UN observers who came to America in 2012 were shocked that we didn't have voter ID

Then how is it that every time Republicans go out to find evidence of voter fraud (specifically the kind that voter ID is supposed to prevent), they find nothing?

And if Voter ID is so great, why haven't Republicans championed bills to give all American citizens free (as in, the citizen in question does not have to pay for it directly) voter ID? Why is it the financial burden of a citizen to have to prove who they are, rather than having the cost distributed throughout a society?

She's easily the best Senator from New York this century.

Considering there's only been a couple of Senators in NY since 2000, that's not exactly difficult.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2015, 05:10:20 AM »

National registration (online or not) is common sense.

We will never have it though because of the stupid constitution.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 07:54:48 AM »

I disagree. As a voter registrar it is easy to misstate facts on a paper form about a person that would make that person ineligible. Online registration can directly tie to the Secretary of State's database to confirm residency, age, and citizenship status.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies