Who can not love Laura?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:15:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who can not love Laura?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who can not love Laura?  (Read 1845 times)
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2005, 03:41:59 AM »

WASHINGTON - First lady Laura Bush stole the show with a surprise comedy routine that ripped President Bush and brought an audience that included much of official Washington and a dash of Hollywood to a standing ovation at a dinner honoring award-winning journalists.

advertisement

The president began a speech late Saturday at the 91st annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, but was quickly “interrupted” by his wife in an obviously planned ploy.

“Not that old joke, not again,” she said to the delight of the audience. “I’ve been attending these dinners for years and just quietly sitting there. I’ve got a few things I want to say for a change.”

The president sat down and she proceeded to note that he is “usually in bed by now” and said she told him recently, “If you really want to end tyranny in the world, you’re going to have to stay up later.”

She outlined a typical evening: “Nine o’clock, Mr. Excitement here is sound asleep and I’m watching ‘Desperate Housewives’.” Comedic pause. “With Lynne Cheney. Ladies and gentlemen, I am a desperate housewife.”

The line earned particularly rambunctious applause from the area of the Hilton Washington hotel ballroom where actor James Denton from the hit ABC show sat.

Laura Bush added that she and her husband obviously were destined to be together as a couple because “I was the librarian who spent 12 hours a day in the library and yet somehow I met George.”

The guest professional comedian, Cedric the Entertainer, next came to the microphone to deliver one-liners, but not before conceding the first lady was a hard act to follow.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 06:29:34 AM »

Ugh.  You've got to be kidding.  She's a Texas faker.  All that make-up and christianity. 

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 11:03:39 AM »

Uhhhh.....watch me
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 11:08:35 AM »

I liked the line about her, Lynn Cheney, Condi Condi Rice, and Karen Hughes going to "Chipendales"... .   

(Scroll Down)

...where they ran into Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sandra Day O'Conner.  :-)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 11:17:51 AM »

She is great. I was watching some of the dinner last night and asked myself the same question. Then I thought about a possible Presidential race between Hillary and Laura....   Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 11:22:42 AM »

That's mainly because you are an overtly blinded partisan moron.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 01:25:58 PM »

That woman looks so weird it's unbelievable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 01:34:58 PM »

Hah, you live in Germany right?  I'm telling you, the US is just filled with fake looking women like that.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 02:28:30 PM »

Hah, you live in Germany right?  I'm telling you, the US is just filled with fake looking women like that.

As opposed to Thailand where you have young boys posing as women.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 02:30:04 PM »

Pickles just seems kinda brain dead to me.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 02:41:19 PM »

I'll add she's brain dead as well!  Hillary Clinton was a great first wife.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 02:54:04 PM »

Pretty extraorrdinary for a brain dead person to achieve a Master's degree.  Is she the smarest woman in the world? No and neither is Hillary for that matter.  Speaking in front of large crowds is very difficult and can intimidate the smartest person in the world. Calling her brain dead is pure partisan rancor.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 03:08:20 PM »

And your mean spirited. What a terrible thought you had. You should be ashamed to say sich things about anyone. Have you no manners?

I could have said some terrible things about you over the last few months but I have restrained myself.Wink

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 03:11:23 PM »

Then I thought about a possible Presidential race between Hillary and Laura....   Smiley

Hillary would easily win that one. Laura's not exactly the policy wonk Hillary is. Issue familiarity still counts for something these days
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 03:15:03 PM »

Then I thought about a possible Presidential race between Hillary and Laura....   Smiley

Hillary would easily win that one. Laura's not exactly the policy wonk Hillary is. Issue familiarity still counts for something these days

I'll aggree with Akno here. If we are voting off of leadership, Mrs. Clinton would win. If it's just popularity (as it usaually is) then Lura would win in fairly wide landslide. Let's face it, Hillary was the first First Lady in history to have lower approval ratings then her husband.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 03:33:09 PM »

I'll aggree with Akno here. If we are voting off of leadership, Mrs. Clinton would win. If it's just popularity (as it usaually is) then Lura would win in fairly wide landslide. Let's face it, Hillary was the first First Lady in history to have lower approval ratings then her husband.

That's because Hillary was the first First Lady in history to use her power politically, which made her a divisive figure. She didn't try to be popular.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 04:24:16 PM »

I guess you would know best when it comes to that condition.

Akno, Hillary would not beat Laura. Laura might not be as active in politics compared to Hillary but she does have a bit of knowledge in the area and is much, much more likable than her would be opponent.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 05:40:34 PM »

Akno, Hillary would not beat Laura. Laura might not be as active in politics compared to Hillary but she does have a bit of knowledge in the area and is much, much more likable than her would be opponent.

Laura would actually have to campaign, which means she couldn't keep her pristine image intact forever.

What you guys don't get is that she is likable because she isn't political. If she gets political, she'd have lower approval ratings.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 05:41:28 PM »

Frankly, I've never met her, and really have no opinion about her one way or another.  As far as I'm concerned as long as she doesn't personally enter politics she is entitled a right to privacy (that is, if you believe such a thing exists).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 05:50:03 PM »

Laura would actually have to campaign, which means she couldn't keep her pristine image intact forever.

What you guys don't get is that she is likable because she isn't political. If she gets political, she'd have lower approval ratings.

And if you have someone not so political running for office, the voters feel more comfortable with the candidate.

Laura would beat Hillary and by a pretty good margin, too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies