The Free Bird Nest of Unfortunate Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:20:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Free Bird Nest of Unfortunate Posts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Free Bird Nest of Unfortunate Posts  (Read 863 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »
« edited: April 27, 2015, 12:14:12 PM by Stone Cold Conservative »

What it says on the tin can.

Posts need not be terrible (that is more deluge territory) just loaded with unfortunate implications by the poster in question.  And yes this includes race jokes, jokes about women, assumptions about entire demographic groups, or making posts in blackface.

To start us off
Dey can't dance, dey racis', dey appropriate sh[inks] and call it dey own, and dey waste money on sh[inks] like going away to sleep on the groun' with all dem bugs 'n sh[inks].

N dey complain 'bou' erything, and dey so damn self-hatin'.

I suspect there was a somewhat decent point trying to be made here by the defendant.  Unfortunately, he also did it in blackface, a big no no for the corporate sponsors of Dave Leips US Election ATLAS.  He is hereby ordered to attend a 45 minute class on race sensitivity and "safe words".  Please be more careful in the future, defendant.

Also yes please add commentary, preferably helpful, for these Unfortunate Posts.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 10:37:09 AM »

Not an unfortunate post at all, but I believe a really necessary public notice to give people an idea of what content we are looking for:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM YOUR LOCAL MODERATOR: It is incredibly inappropriate to refer to rioters as "animals," especially given the racial implications of that word. Repeated use will be heavily infracted moving forward.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 10:46:02 AM »

Not an unfortunate post at all, but I believe a really necessary public notice to give people an idea of what content we are looking for:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM YOUR LOCAL MODERATOR: It is incredibly inappropriate to refer to rioters as "animals," especially given the racial implications of that word. Repeated use will be heavily infracted moving forward.

In spite of Mr. Moderate's sensitivity to the word, I think the term is a perfect description of those burning shops, attacking cops, etc.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:56:19 AM »

The Wulfric Iridium Mine of Density would also be a fine name for this thread
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 11:57:41 AM »

In spite of Mr. Moderate's sensitivity to the word, I think the term is a perfect description of those burning shops, attacking cops, etc.

no
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »

The Wulfric Iridium Mine of Density would also be a fine name for this thread
Iridium? Have you ever played Traveller?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »

You're a smart guy. You can't not get the implication of calling them animals.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 02:31:59 PM »

Everyone's too sensitive these days......is there some nasty term I can call them without some subset of people being offended? 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2015, 04:01:21 PM by Stone Cold Conservative »

Doesn't make it any less controversial Gramps.

You could just as easily call them "violent rioters".  I think CTRattlesnake is taking the more appropriate course in tactfully condemning the rioters without using such strong and negative language.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 05:41:19 PM »

Arguably homo sapiens are the most violent species of animals on this planet, so calling the rioters animals and therefore comparing them to more pacific species, perhaps should be viewed as a compliment. But of course, home sapiens, narcissistic species that they are, think they are the best, so of course it is not meant as a compliment. PC is a pain in the butt, but on a public forum, more so, than in private conversation, it is up to a point a necessary evil. A forum has a need to keep things civil, and not embarrass itself, and such is life. Just my point of view. Kind of rambling one isn't it? I'm on my second cocktail. Smiley
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 06:46:57 PM »

Everyone's too sensitive these days......is there some nasty term I can call them without some subset of people being offended? 

Aside from the racial implications, there's also the more general dehumanizing effect of calling other human beings "animals" that is deeply disturbing  (i.e. saying that they're not human, or less than human).

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 12:50:05 AM »

In addition to other unfortunate connotations, calling someone an "animal" absolves them of responsibility.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies