Electoral Reform Debate - Commentary Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Electoral Reform Debate - Commentary Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral Reform Debate - Commentary Thread  (Read 2970 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: April 29, 2015, 08:00:13 AM »
« edited: April 29, 2015, 08:15:08 AM by President bore »

This is a very interesting debate so far, and I'd just like to make a few comments

It's both remarkable and fascinating to watch how eagerly Labor is throwing their own president and the key reform project of his administration under the bus.

It's almost as if this isn't a labor plot to seize power...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's worth pointing out that my race against Deus in the comparitively left leaning northeast was 16- Bore 17- Deus and 1- Dallasfan which flowed to me. If any 1 of my voters had first preferenced Deus instead I would have lost. When you're talking of margins that thin it's not an example of any sort of structural impediment, but just bad luck.  If shua had run in the mideast for an open seat or maxwell in some southern district they would have won.

The Aye side has claimed the At-large election results in boring, predictable outcome. That is not true. Over my time in Atlasia many At-large elections have ended in a couple of vote difference in determining the winner of the last seat. So they can be exciting. A few examples:

December 2012, less than 2 votes difference for the last seat
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=149059.msg3559661#msg3559661

April 2013, less than 2 votes
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/April_2013_Senate_Election

December 2013, less than 3 votes
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/December_2013_Senate_Election

December 2014, 2 votes
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=149059.msg3559661#msg3559661

The At-large election gave a chance to candidates who were not able to win a regional race to get elected to the Senate, it gave them another path. Just by memory I think of Goldwater and Deus who lost a regional race in the NE before winning in At-large. Lumine and Cris in the Midwest.

A smaller party like the D-R has managed to win At-Large senate seat with Deus and shua. I'm not sure if they had their party members split in five districts if they could win a district against three much bigger parties.

There is a difference between exciting and a technically close race. There have been plenty of at large elections where the winner is decided by 0.0124356123's of a vote. That doesn't make them exciting because no one remembers them or enjoyed watching them. In fact the only people who really had any inkling they were close are each parties respective number crunchers.
A ten member party if unified and at 100% turnout can easily win that election by peeling off support from a largely party or parties and securing like minded Indies.

This is exactly what Xahar, Shua, Deus and now Cris managed to do running as Third Party members in the At-Large elections.

A district will have a limited number of voters, and pulling Smoltchanov from the NE, Angus from the Midwest and Torie or somebody like that from the Pacific won't be possible. Those indies are scattered as are the voters in a major party who would be willing to break ranks for such a candidate.

In a one and one race, the push will be for conformity. In an at-Large race, once your guys are in, a major party can then flex's its remaining muscle in trying to decide who gets the third seat. Or members will feel like they can vote for someone else or just go ahead and do that regardless, which happened in April 2014 with the Feds. Shua got EG and Sanchez, and they are far away from each other. That is where the indies stand their best chance, that played out in five of the last six At-Large elections.

This largely misses the point of FPTP elections which is that it's not all about voting for the candidate, it is also about voting against him. In my race against Deus you had staunch social conservatives voting for Deus because he was not a laborite but in an at large there is no way in hell he would get their first or even second preference.  There were many voters in Poirot's race against me who had never voted for him before and who have not voted for him since.

With regard to what Clyde's said in the debate:

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. It's true that I had a large percentage over poirot in that election, but how could I not and still win? Every voter in the northeast is like 4 or 5%, whereas in the at large elections every voter is less than a percent. When you look at absolute margin, the most important thing it is true that Poirot came closest in the northeast senate race.

This is misleading, because the sample size is too small to be significant. It is largely a function that the senators who, over that period, were the most active and the least likely to quit where regional ones. In fact it was always noticeable how few regional senators resigned due to activity. I'd suggest the high number of at large senators is because they kept on getting expelled for inactivity Tongue

But even so, the reason the regional figure is so low is because me, yankee tnf and tyrion/cranberry basically held those seats for the entire time. But it is just as plausible for us to have held those seats as at large senators. 3 or 4 people happening to be regional senators over that whole period does not suggest let alone prove anything. Especially since, as yankee keeps on telling us (and he's right Tongue) we all had to work really hard to keep those seats, which isn't necessarily true of at large senators, as SWE can tell you Tongue

If the larger parties are running more candidates, then it stands to reason that it’s more likely for candidates from the larger parties to be elected - as there is more candidates that could be elected.

Voters have less of a choice in candidates for regional elections - as smaller parties may decide not run, as they feel they have no chance of winning the seat.

The evidence for the current voting system helping smaller parties is clear – in the last ten Senates, only three parties have represented regional seats, compared to five parties in at-large seats. If districts had been used - then it would be likely that only three parties would've been elected to the Senate over that time. Smaller parties have only represented at-large seats recently.[/quote]
Firstly, as oakvale pointed out, the three parties stat is just wrong.

But secondly I don't actually disagree with Clyde's interpretation of my post. It is true that under districts the federalists could, say, win 3 seats. But they could also win none. We could run at large elections every weekend for the next year and labor would never get more and never get less than 2.  With districts we could see 0 or we could see 3 or 4. The same is true of the federalists and TPP and the DRs.

Thirdly the idea that smaller parties might decide not to run is also not borne out by the facts. In my elections for the northeast I ran against, in order, a federalist and an indy, a federalist and an indy, a DR, and a TPPer. The only people who don't run in district elections is, perversely, members of big parties, because of primaries (but even so, more will run than do now).
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »

You know, this keeps on getting repeated as gospel, but the idea that independents and minority parties are better served by at large elections than regional ones is just empirically not true.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »

Actually, like the vast vast majority of atlasia I do not know what happened in the first senate, but a quick look at the senate list shows this to be woefully inadequate at proving a point because, in the senates after, i.e. when atlasia had a chance to actually develop, there was a far more mixed spread.

The independent point is just wrong, as a cursory look at the numbers show. Not only are there far far more independents in the early days of atlasia when there were just districts and regional seats (the sea of grey proves it) there have been 4 regionally elected independents (including one in february) since the introduction of at large seats there have been 3 at large senators elected as independents and 5 independents elected from the regions.

Sure you can make a point about the lack of representation of the DRs and CRs but that can easily be countered by pointing out, for instance, that the tiny Light party had 2 regional seats but 0 at large ones or, when TPP had like 10 members they had 3 regional seats and 2 at large ones despite having almost no partisans to vote for them. Ultimately the sample size for small parties represented at large but not in regions and vice versa is just so negligible that, if we are being honest, we can not draw conclusions from them.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »

I don't disagree with any of that (apart from the third paragraph) but the same is just as true for at large elections.

Neither Jbrase, AndrewCT nor Wormyguy were unknown quantities. It took very special circumstances for Xahar and JCL to win an at large election (although they were largely unsuccessful for reasons other than ideology).

And, given that the points you make are just as true for at large elections as regional ones, it's clear there is no real difference in how they represent indies, which suggests that, as that's their supposed benefit (because everyone agrees their actual elections are duller than watching paint dry) they should be scrapped.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 04:08:13 PM »

I don't disagree with any of that (apart from the third paragraph) but the same is just as true for at large elections.

Neither Jbrase, AndrewCT nor Wormyguy were unknown quantities. It took very special circumstances for Xahar and JCL to win an at large election (although they were largely unsuccessful for reasons other than ideology).

And, given that the points you make are just as true for at large elections as regional ones, it's clear there is no real difference in how they represent indies, which suggests that, as that's their supposed benefit (because everyone agrees their actual elections are duller than watching paint dry) they should be scrapped.

There was no region that would have elected Wormyguy in 2011 or 2012. He pulled libertarians from all over the nation and won because of that in an At-large election. He is a perfect example of the point I am trying to make, actually. The same goes for 20RP12 who faced the same problem as well by the time he was elected At-Large in December 2011. For the left, Antonio, Xahar and a few others would have been shut out of a one on one seat at the time as well.

JBrase would have won in 2012 in the South, but not in 2011 (with or without me running as Senator), when he won the special. He also then won reelection by once again pulling libertarians and other supporters from across the nation. The same is true for shua in 2011, shua in 2013 and 2014, Deus in 2014. AndrewCT would have won in the NE where he lived at any point except 2011 after Nappy took the place over. He is the ony exception that you list. Tongue

Thanks for making my point. Tongue

I think it's fair to say someone who won over 50% in a one on one at large election could be elected in most districts in the country, because if JBrase did so then there is no way he just won with the votes of libertarians. With regard to wormyguy I don't know what was happening in 2011 in atlasia so I can't comment on the specifics but, and I know me repeating this irritates you he was probably similar politically to Deus and he came within one vote of beating me in a region which, as you acknowledge has a centre left tilt. That to me suggests that libertarians have been unlucky rather than structurally discriminated against.

I just want to reiterate once again that there is no disadvantage with one on one seats for smaller parties- in fact, it is probably beneficial. The PUs won an at large one on one seat, more independents have been elected in districts than at large, the example of the early TPP shows that regional senators can still win in regions where their formal party is practically non existent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies